Camber bolts

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
In my case I already had the spindles when I bought my cobra brakes, so after reading about all that I decided to swap them. Plus an inch in bumpsteer makes a big difference. I have pictures in my build I'll have to go back and find that show the difference in tie rod angle between the two spindles. And yes MM does recommend their bolt-thru bumpsteer Kit which I will eventually be upgrading to. I currently have a Steeda kit and at the time didn't have the funds for MM's so I made do with mine til I could afford theirs.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wait a minute, I think I am confused - you are saying you can't get *less* than 3 degrees of camber? Meaning 3 is the *least* amount of camber you can run? I am confused on how that is possible? On my MM plates, I don't know if I could get 3 degrees if I wanted to...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, pulled this from MM's website on the CC plates:

My Mustang is an SN95 chassis. What is meant by "positive" and "negative" orientation of Maximum Motorsports MMCC9994 caster/camber plates?

• The names for the two different bearing plate orientations refer to the effect they will have on the camber adjustment range. Having the plates installed in the positive orientation does not mean the tires will have positive camber. It simply means that the range of adjustment allows for the most positive settings possible (least negative camber). Having the bearing plates installed in the negative orientation means the range of adjustment allows for the most negative settings possible.
  • For Mustangs driven on the street, where too much negative camber can cause excessive tire wear, the positive orientation will allow for the least negative range of adjustment possible. This will allow setting camber to keep tire wear to a minimum, and minimize steering wandering from "camber thrust. Even in the positive orientation, the MM Caster/Camber plates will usually allow the camber setting to be as much as one degree negative.
  • Mustangs used for open-tracking and autocrossing will nearly always have the bearing plates in the negative orientation, as they rarely have camber set to as little as one degree.

Why have "Positive" and "Negative" reversible Bearing orientation? Why not make the slots longer and get all the adjustment with one orientation?

• The MM design allows reversing the bearing orientation (changing the position from "positive" to "negative"), which doubles the adjustment range for the given slot length.
  • There is a limit to how long of a slot can be put in a camber plate and have everything still fit the strut tower of a Mustang. Our camber adjustment slots are 1.1" long, so when the orientation is reversed the slots are effectively 2.2" long!
  • Check the slot length from anyone who says that they can get that much camber adjustment out of a non-reversible bearing cup. You will not find any slot close to 2.2" long. Note that when two bolts placed in one slot, the effective slot length is reduced by no less than the diameter of the second bolt.
  • MM caster/camber plates allow moving the strut shaft from one side of the center hole in the strut tower to the opposite side. No more adjustment is possible without modifying the chassis.

To me, it sounds like you have your plates set up in the Negative orientation perhaps? It's still a correct install, so maybe that's what is going on? (Though, I'm pretty sure mine are Negative and I've got about 1.5 degrees of camber currently...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.