cams and and auto?

White 96GT

Reaction score
I've been looking into cams over the summer. I'm 16 and The main reason my dad let me buy my car is so we can work on it together. So I've got him talked into buying some parts. So far I'm thinking cams are first. So i've been looking at comp, crower, and a few others. The first thing I noticed is that after stage one you have to have a high stall converter. So I'm wondering Do I need a high stall convertor or is that for performance resaons? I can't see it hurting the converter but wanted to ask anyway. Would it be safe to run a stage III with a stock convertor or no?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
probably because the power curve moves up in the range. you'll prob loose some low end torque.
you'll want A higher staul speed to get you into t he power band when you take off.
the stock convertor is a Sponge, if your keeping the car, I'd recommend you get one.
the common staul recommended for street is 3200.

good luck with your build :)
It's cool to do a project with your Dad. I have a 67 my Dad and I are doing together too.

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol i know what you mean, my dad and me's project is a 64 Chevy C10 stepside. Classic! anyway, my dad helped me get my car too and the reason was that he though, since it was only 281 cubes, he said it wouldn't be to powerful like a 5.0 lol. Funny huh.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think you will be ok with a stage 2 cam and stock TC but like Dal was saying you will suffer on the low rpm range until you do upgrade the TC. I was running Comp262ah's with my stock TC and then swapped to a PI 3200 single disk TC and it was like night and day...i have since sold the Comp cams and PI TC and replaced with VT st 2 Blower cams and i will be getting a custom TC from BC-Automotive that will be able to handle the TQ from the blower and lock out in 2nd/3rd gears.

OP
OP
W

White 96GT

Reaction score
So I don't really need one its just a performance thing. Well in that case right know being only 16 I'm more focused on sound and looks for now. But in the future like when I turn 18 and get a job on the railroad. My stang will become a street/strip car and will be blown and all that good stuff. But for now I want LTs, cams and Weld Prostars. I think some 4:30s might be nice at around christmas time? Then she'll scream.

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow 4.30's huh. if its an auto you won't make it to the other end of the track without going into OD or going like 6500 or 7000 on the rpms lol. What you doing with those wheels when you get the prostars?

OP
OP
W

White 96GT

Reaction score
I thought that for autos your supposed to get 4:30s and for 5-speeds you get 4:10. I heard you end up with about the same gearing? Oh well I guess I'll find out. I'm going to keep the saleens because I don't want to run Prostars in the winter here in IOWA.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i hear ya, you need a lower gear to get more performance out the auto but then the auto is already geared lower so your turning more rpm since you only have 4 gears vs 5. :)

OP
OP
W

White 96GT

Reaction score
I've heard from people off this site that they hit 150mph with 4:10s in 96-97 autos. Also it doesn't matter how many gears you have it matters what your finial gears ratio is.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well with a high hp car, you really really really don't want to go into OD, yea if i got 4.10's i could hit 150 no problem, but its not safe to do in OD when you at WOT with a high hp and tq, car. Thats why when people race with the auto they use OD off so they don't hit it. But hey, its whatever man. 4.30's would be a dream in that car man O0

OP
OP
W

White 96GT

Reaction score
why is over drive dangerous? this is the first i've heard of this? Please know I'm not trying to be a prick but I' just curious.

voidfinger

Reaction score
the overdrive in the 4r70w and more importantly, all auto's almost, are really weak. I've heard of people at the track toast there OD on a stock PI car, and one with a 100 shot of NO2. They are just weak man, they arn't meant to take a lot of abuse, thats all.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yeah, nice sig there dal. So what i'm saying is that stay away from OD when you kill it. :) , other than that, i've seen a stock 4r take a 5.4 supercharged motor with no problem for over 20 k miles. :) just stay away from OD :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online