CAMS with the PI swap

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
For those of you experienced with the PI swap and aftermarket cams... what do you guys think are the best cams to be added to PI heads + intake. Also, what is your take on the SVO heads/intake?

Ender

Reaction score
SVO intake is the shit, I picked up about 25 HP and extended the powerband to 5200 RPM on NPI heads/cams. I'll let you know about the SVO heads when I get them back from Steen and put them on, hopefully this weekend.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The SVO parts are the way to go if you have the coin...but if you are on a budget the PI swap from www.steenracing.com can be had for less then the price of the SVO intake... i mentioned Steen because they sell the complete PI swap like parkway performance but they will also add p&p and aftermarket cams to the package...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did ported PI's and cams about 3 years ago.

I got my stuff from Power heads:
www.powerheads.com
it came ported and all assembled.

On the cam there are a number of good grinds.
One thing to consider is if your going to blow it or stay NA.
If staying NA you'll want an agressive cam.
If you're going supercharged or turbo, you'll want a less agressive cam.
Mine are a bit mild for NA, but great for turbo.

Cams can come from
VTengines
Crower
powerheads
Comp

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking that I'll probably be going with the aggressive N/A cams from VT. They're local for me. Anyways, not sure about SVO vs. PI heads... SVO would be nice, but, as always, its about the money:-(. Especially since I like the looks of the stage 2 cams from VT. Looks like with those I'll be needing new valvesprings and gears (I needed the gears anyways).

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like fun!!!

the SVO's flow more air, if you can afford em.

Ender

Reaction score
I bought it new from Ford a couple years ago before I got smart and started watching forum classifieds. I made up for it by getting a set of SVO heads for $600 though. :dancing6: I can't wait to get the back from Steen's, this has been the longest week ever. :noes:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
II 98 GT II said:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking that I'll probably be going with the aggressive N/A cams from VT. They're local for me. Anyways, not sure about SVO vs. PI heads... SVO would be nice, but, as always, its about the money:-(. Especially since I like the looks of the stage 2 cams from VT. Looks like with those I'll be needing new valvesprings and gears (I needed the gears anyways).
Thats the choice i had to make...i wanted the SVO heads but for the same price i picked up VT ported PI's...its a tough choice.

OP
OP
I

II 98 GT II

Reaction score
OK here's what I'm lookin' at right now...
Steen racing Complete PI swap package, probably w/ the stage 1 porting
VT stage 1 or stage 2 cams

Question 1) VT stage 1 or stage 2?
Question 1) Are the comp valve springs that come on the heads ok to run with the VT stage 2 cam?
Question 2) If I'm gonna do the stage 2 cam from vt, should I just spend the extra 200 bucks for the stage 2 porting on the steen heads?

Here is a link to the steen heads:
Steen racing complete PI swap

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had the PI intake with stage 2 PI heads with 278xe comp cams.............never got it put together though :'(............sold it for my cobra :khobra: :khobra:

97gtconv.

Reaction score
if the money situation wasn't a problem i'd go with vt stage 2's and stage 2 heads.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
II 98 GT II said:
OK here's what I'm lookin' at right now...
Steen racing Complete PI swap package, probably w/ the stage 1 porting
VT stage 1 or stage 2 cams

Question 1) VT stage 1 or stage 2?
Question 1) Are the comp valve springs that come on the heads ok to run with the VT stage 2 cam?
Question 2) If I'm gonna do the stage 2 cam from vt, should I just spend the extra 200 bucks for the stage 2 porting on the steen heads?

Here is a link to the steen heads:
Steen racing complete PI swap

Steen does great work and is good with working of the heads....
the comp springs will work fine with st 2 cams...thats what i have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online