Camshaft...?!

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal... I have a stock motor bottom to top. I want to put a cam in so I can get a little horsepower (maybe), but mostly for the lopey sound (i'm a poser). Just a temporary deal till I get some more cash flow to actually do some real work. Now my question is, which one to go with?! I don't wanna have to do anything to the internals, just slide in a new cam. I was talking to a FRPP Tech and he said some of their cam's require milling of the piston top... don't want to do that. So I need a mild enough cam to not have to mill anything, but wild enough for some lope. Any suggestions will be helpful?! :dunno:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah E303 thats what I got, its pretty mild I like it, I think id go lumpier next time just because it sounds so cool but it would be a lot harder to get to run perfect/tune.

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks guys, thats what i was considering. Hey Matt, you wouldn't happen to have an idling vid of your car?! If not oh well. worth a shot I guess. I just need something to compete with pop's car :slap:

wytstang

Reaction score
Disconect(sp?) a plug wire you'll get the lumping sound.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
For the 96-98s, disconnect the maf on the 4.6, my buddies called it the instacam! Doesn't work the same on our 5.0s though. If you mess with stuff more radical than the E303, you have to worry about your power brakes and all sorts of other related issues.

Stang D

Reaction score
Crane 2031 and the "Baby Crower" are plug in play with the SN95 computer. Don't know if that's enough lope for you, but they are time tested performers. I think you'd be happier with either of those, and nice exhaust. Lopey cam + no tune usually equals PITA for SN95.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
Ive got a F303 cam and it has a nice lope to it, however, I did have to get a chip burned before it would idle good and now my valve springs are shot. The valve springs actually lasted longer than I expected considering they had 132,000 miles on them when I put the cam in and they held strong for about 10,000 miles. Oh well, I guess thats just an excuse for me to get some AFR's :naughty:.

Five-O

Reaction score
The Ford tech guy musta not know much about cams. Yes you will have to fly cut your pistons if you get some ford cams................like the ones that produce .570 lift. Even with 1.7's, stock GT40's are 62cc heads which provides plennnnnty of clearance for even an F cam. Personally i would look into some AFM cams cuz they are the shiznit, but if you're looking for a quick fix the Crane 2031 and the E cam are both very good. The 2031 is a newer design and makes good low end power, but the E cam still outperformes it by 5-6hp and has more of a midrange powerband. I would think about your combo before making a decision. I think you have longtubes so that gives you good pull on the top end, don't know what kind of gearing you have, but that will give you pull on the low end, so an E cam would fill in the gap and pull in the midrange. If you can manage to get a set of heads during your cam swap that would be ideal since they're going to have to come off anyway, but if not make sure you get different springs because the stock ones are junk.

Personally i run the E cam, and had no idling issues with ported/worked GT40 irons untuned. Its a hit/miss situation really with our computers. Just up the fuel and give it some stout timing and you'll be fine for the time being. Anyway here's a clip of my car with the E cam. This is when it had the ported/worked GT40 irons which are now for sale, E cam, ported cobra intake, and open longtubes for the time being.

http://roadconetuning.com/Videos/angelo random_0001.wmv (right click save-as)

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
I'm running a comp extrem 270-278 dur .544 .544 lift cam in my 94 auto and it sounds MEAN... :thumb:

but i never tryed it with the stock computer......I'm sure it wont work well, but with 1.7 roller rockers i have tons of clearenc with the stock pistons

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Five-O: Thanks for the vid !! That made my mind up. I have LT's and 4.10 gears so you right about "filling in the gap." I just got back from a long vacation, so parts ordering for the mustang will continue shortly!!

Z28 This

Reaction score
e cams are just 2 small for me n dont give that lope good enough...

JBCleary

Reaction score
wayne94mustang said:
I'm running a comp extrem 270-278 dur .544 .544 lift cam in my 94 auto and it sounds MEAN... :thumb:

but i never tryed it with the stock computer......I'm sure it wont work well, but with 1.7 roller rockers i have tons of clearenc with the stock pistons

I'm building a 383W right now and bought this same cam (in retro-fit version). I'll be putting the engine in a 94 or 95 when I find one.
What computer mods did you have to do to get it to work with this cam? Chip, tweaker, others?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online