Can anyone diagnose this squeaking?

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
When I'm driving I get a speed dependent squeak that I'm trying to figure out. It's been there since before I replaced the front suspension. Could it be a wheel bearing? When I hit the brakes coming to a stop sign or light, it'll stop for those 10-15 feet.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm not sure if I put this in the right section. It's annoying enough I haven't put the top down on the car in a while. It's starting to hit embarrassing.

weendoggy

Reaction score
I heard a lot more wind noise than squeak, but, what I did hear sounds like brake squeak. When you press the pedal lightly, I bet it goes away. That being said, it means the rotors, calipers, pads are in some type of wear or warp. If your brakes are good, the rotor runout can be enough to cause this as well as a sticky caliper. Another thing to think about are brake hoses. They may look good on the outside, but it's the inside that will cause a problem. Especially on older high mileage cars. You may need to replace those as they will also hinder flow back to the MC.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I heard a lot more wind noise than squeak, but, what I did hear sounds like brake squeak. When you press the pedal lightly, I bet it goes away. That being said, it means the rotors, calipers, pads are in some type of wear or warp. If your brakes are good, the rotor runout can be enough to cause this as well as a sticky caliper. Another thing to think about are brake hoses. They may look good on the outside, but it's the inside that will cause a problem. Especially on older high mileage cars. You may need to replace those as they will also hinder flow back to the MC.

It does go away if I press the pedal lightly. I have Mach 1 brakes in the front, and I'd also switched over to stainless steel brake lines years ago if I remembered correctly. I'll have to get that checked out. It does sit outside most of the year and did sit for a year or two while I was sorting out coolant leaks. 2 car garage, 3 cars. First world problem. Any suggestions for where to look for parts?

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Okay, tested the brake theory. It stops when I put my foot on the brake pedal lightly. Since I had swapped the front brakes to a Mach 1 kit, does anyone know where I can order parts from for them?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would probably poke my head inside and take a look before I started to order pieces. You might find something else wrong or at the very least you can see the parts you need to replace and I have learned the hard way to compare the old/new part to make sure they are the same.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Yep. As soon as I can accurately diagnose the squeak, I’m hoping I can order the parts. I don’t see Mach 1 kits anywhere, I do see aftermarket Cobra (SVE) upgrade kits, though.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Yep, Mach I, Bullitt, Cobra are all the same pad and you should be able to get them and/or rotors, and/or calipers almost anywhere. If you want specific pad compound you'll need to go elsewhere besides your local parts store.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
Thanks! Other two cars are in the shop right now. So when they’re back, I’ll look into the stang.

CobraEd

Reaction score
Thanks! Other two cars are in the shop right now. So when they’re back, I’ll look into the stang.
One other possibility that does not involve the need to replace any parts. One of my cars picked up a small rock that got lodged between the rotor & other brake parts. It caused a squeak which did not occur all the time. Rock was was about 1/4" diameter with a shiny flat side from rubbing against the rotor.

OP
OP
MyBoxersSayJoe

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
One other possibility that does not involve the need to replace any parts. One of my cars picked up a small rock that got lodged between the rotor & other brake parts. It caused a squeak which did not occur all the time. Rock was was about 1/4" diameter with a shiny flat side from rubbing against the rotor.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Orl1mjf

Reaction score
The brakes have a backing plate that bends very easily, I’ve had many that squeak and squeal just a bit because a portion of the plate contacted the rotors. Bend the plate back to the proper position to eliminate this as a cause.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
the squeak that eluded me the most on a mustang....the steering rack bushings. I replaced upper control arms, struts and went thru the brakes and still had it. drove me nuts. put in poly rack bushings....gone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online