Can anyone explain why i cant use these springs?

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I am new to this styles so i dont know how this works, but i have a 94 gt coupe and i wanted to get some lowering springs. I really like how sleepn_SN95's stance is. Maybe i would be comfortable with it being just a tad more higher but regardless i want it close to his height. I plan on getting 265/35/18's and 295/35/18's

it looks like the only springs that give the most drop is http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-sport-springs-83-95.html

but why cant i use these?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hr-sssprings-9404-convert.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-sport-springs-96-04.html

i know the sport springs give the same height but one is prgressive and the other isnt.

do not know much bout progressive except that you cant cut them.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Progressive springs have the coils wound closer at one end so you get a smoother ride. But I don't see why you can't cut the other end.
IMO install the springs without the isolaters and drive around for a week or 2 to let the springs settle then cut as needed.
1 coil doesn't mean 1" though. Start with 1/4 or 1/2 coil.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
isnt it bad to cut a progressive spring? it doesnt mess with the spring rate? and i thought it was dangerous to drive with out isolators?

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
well i assumed since it said convertible only

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They are probably a little stiffer to accommodate the vert weight, and would probably ride a little higher then I would guess the hard top but its not like your trying to put a Honda spring up in there.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
There's lot of members that don't have isolaters on their springs. You might get some extra squeeking and creeking once you get some dust and gravel on the lower spring pearch.
Some of the guys have wrapped the end of the spring with electrical tape or slide a piece of bike inner tube over the pigtail to help this without adding hight to the spring like the isolator would.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I had no isolators and the bike inner tube around mine and I haven't had issues as of now. I never knew bike tube was a common practice, I had one laying around because I bought the wrong size.... It seems to work well enough and drop it down a slight bit more. Progressive rate 1.5 drop springs with no isos will definitely give you a noticeable difference in height and handling

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have to cut a coil from a progressive spring just cut the dead coils at the top, then it shouldn't affect the ride quality and you won't change the spring rate.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome!!! haha i can just do that! i thought it wasnt safe without iso's because i heard them honda boys doing that, and it bounces! i dont want that. :p

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Not sure how this practice of not using isolators for lowering springs has became the norm but removing the spring isolator will increase NVH, and metal on metal contact that may produce unwanted noises.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure how this practice of not using isolators for lowering springs has became the norm but removing the spring isolator will increase NVH, and metal on metal contact that may produce unwanted noises.

that is true but to solve the unwanted noises, members have suggested i wrap the springs in something (like an inner tube) and tada.

but how would it increase the harshness? and what would the harshness cause?

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
that is true but to solve the unwanted noises, members have suggested i wrap the springs in something (like an inner tube) and tad. but how would it increase the harshness? and what would the harshness cause?
Lowering springs play a huge role in the following (ride quality, chassis stability, ride height and they support most of your vehicle's weight). Without isolators, you have metal on metal contact, noise, and vibration is easily transmitted. This vibration will affect your ride quality. Ford did not install isolators on their Cobra R vehicles...why? Because it's a race car where noise, and vibration isn't a concern. On their production cars, they install isolators to help isolate Noise Vibration and Harness (NVH).

Can't say I'm familiar with how people use an inner tube, or whatever to isolate NVH, then NVH must be real. Do it the right way, buy the right part for the job, and don't take short cuts that don't work properly. If you're looking for a certain ride height do it the correct way, buy lowering springs that give you the ride height you're looking for or get coilovers where your ride height is adjustable.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ok say what if i do get a CO kit. DO i need CC plates? and if i do or should which CC plates are made for CO's?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you go low enough they are necessary. I would just count them in on the price of the upgrade and not have to worry about IF you need them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.