Can i run a stock TB?

A_+

Reaction score
I purchased this sn95 a few months ago and it has been giving me problems ever since. Apparently my problem is coming from my 70mm BBK throttle body. Im being told to clean it or sand the blade or use a dremel or drill a hole...blah...blah..blah. How about i pull the sum***** off and slap a stocker back on there! Can i do that?

Mods:
Gt40 intake
Twisted Wedge heads
24 inj.- 255 fuel pump
aftermarket exhaust
and the damn EGR was deleted.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I purchased this sn95 a few months ago and it has been giving me problems ever since. Apparently my problem is coming from my 70mm BBK throttle body. Im being told to clean it or sand the blade or use a dremel or drill a hole...blah...blah..blah. How about i pull the sum***** off and slap a stocker back on there! Can i do that?

Mods:
Gt40 intake
Twisted Wedge heads
24 inj.- 255 fuel pump
aftermarket exhaust
and the damn EGR was deleted.

I am not much of an expert on 5.0's but I don't think you will be able to run a stock TB with those mods. Have you cleaned the MAF sensor yet or checked the o2 sensors? These seem to be common issues for every mustang, 3.8/4.6/5.0

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Maf was cleaned and it ran a little better for a day then it went back to rpm's sticking and idle surging.
The smog has been deleted and I'm running an o\r H pipe. Do o2 sensor's still matter?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Does the car have a tune? I don't really think the TB would be your issue, but it could be.. Bad O2 sensors will make the car run a little rough and mpg's go down, how much mileage do you have? Idle surging could be your IAC too..

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Maf was cleaned and it ran a little better for a day then it went back to rpm's sticking and idle surging.
The smog has been deleted and I'm running an o\r H pipe. Do o2 sensor's still matter?

Yep o2 sensors will have a big effect, if you are running an o/r h pipe you will need MIL eliminators or a tune. This will trick the o2 sensors into reading the correct values, whereas right now they are reading very high without having cats. W/o cats the exhaust gas moves much quicker through the h pipe and with more pollutants. I would get this fixed and go from there. This should create a large improvement in the problems you are having right now. Also was the throttle body and iac gasket replaced when the throttle body was installed?

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
IAC has been checked and everything is getting proper voltage. I'm being told over and over again that the TB blade is my issue AMD it needs to be trimmed. The speedo stopped working but it should have about 6k on rebuild. It doesn't have a tune. Honestly, I don't see a reason to tune a naturally aspirated car. I'm running the exact same set up in this car that I had on my foxbody, minus the wretched tb and that car ran like a fox!

SVTstang96

Reaction score
IAC has been checked and everything is getting proper voltage. I'm being told over and over again that the TB blade is my issue AMD it needs to be trimmed. The speedo stopped working but it should have about 6k on rebuild. It doesn't have a tune. Honestly, I don't see a reason to tune a naturally aspirated car. I'm running the exact same set up in this car that I had on my foxbody, minus the wretched tb and that car ran like a fox!

Hmm, I would definitely try to get those o2 sensors in check. This should help with those problems, even if you do get a different throttle body these will need to be corrected also. So I would start here and see if that fixes the problems.

Also have you messed with the idle set screw? I would adjust this if you are getting too much/too little air before drilling holes or trimming it. That will ruin it, and should never be done!

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Mil eliminators it is! A tune sounds cool but damn, they cost a lot of money!

Mustanger

Reaction score
On a 94-95 you don't need the MILS...the O2 sensors are not on the Midpipe & are not messed with when going to an off road midpipe. Our 94/95's are very sensitive to a lot of additions worse than the Fox I have heard...so I believe you will need a tune with your mods. Good luck keep us posted on your progress.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
On a 94-95 you don't need the MILS...the O2 sensors are not on the Midpipe & are not messed with when going to an off road midpipe. Our 94/95's are very sensitive to a lot of additions worse than the Fox I have heard....

Oh yeah! I thought about getting a tune if I were to put a bigger can but its still stock, for now.

chris91

Reaction score
So it was running fine in the sn before adding the BBK? If so then Id definitely try to add the stock one back on. It wont hurt anything. Ive heard complaints on BBK TB's a lot.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Woops. I forgot to mention that American Muscle burned a chip for this car but I pulled it, hoping it would help the car. It did. A little.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes. our cars need the O2 sensors. it will run without them but it will be really rich because it puts the compurer into safe mode so it doesn't run lean.
ALSO don't get mil eliminators as Mustanger has already stated. The O2 sensors are before the cats therefore the computer doesn't know if the cats are there or not.
I agree with chris91 about hearing issues with BBK tb's in the past. Your stock tb is 62mm btw. You prob. need a tb upgrade but maybe BBK isn't the brand to go with.
IMO Get a tune!!! You computer is set up to run off the stock parts which flow a lot less air and you have ingectors that use more fuel. Your leaving a bunch of HP on the table hnot to mention the drivability issues having now.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Stock TB is 60mm, not 62.

You should get a tune. It's not as expensive as you think.

The throttle body is likely your issue. The throttle stop screw is probably set wrong, which is skewing the throttle body airflow measurement being taken by the ECM.

Larger than stock injectors and the aftermarket MAF aren't helping either.

Go visit my Facebook page and we can discuss your options. Also, don't compare this build to your foxbody. The computers are very different. Just because it worked in that car, doesn't mean its right in this car.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the maf but I know its the right one for this application. I'm still on the fence about getting a tune because I thought that my CPU was smart enough to figure it all out. Hell, my last 87 had no issues.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the maf but I know its the right one for this application. I'm still on the fence about getting a tune because I thought that my CPU was smart enough to figure it all out. Hell, my last 87 had no issues.

listen, at the end of the day it's your car. if you don't want to talk to somebody who knows that they can fix your issues, then that's up to you.

and again, you can not compare the computer in your SN 95 to that of a fox body. they are two completely different animals.

RichV

Reaction score
Unless you have a Cobra ECU or at minimum a matched MAF to 24s your car will do exactly what you're describing. I don't care if it's a SN or a Fox.

Anyways to answer your original question, yes you can run a a stock throttlebody. Put one in and see if it makes a difference, even if just for testing purpose. Do you have a SN or Fox t/b?

Addermk2

Reaction score
Unless you have a Cobra ECU or at minimum a matched MAF to 24s your car will do exactly what you're describing. I don't care if it's a SN or a Fox.

Anyways to answer your original question, yes you can run a a stock throttlebody. Put one in and see if it makes a difference, even if just for testing purpose. Do you have a SN or Fox t/b?

He's fox swapped, and has a 73mm MAF. Probably a c&l.

He's been having these issues for a while, and I tried helping him almost 8 months ago. Some people just don't want to listen.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Fox swap. I recall you saying that the blade in the TB had some issues and needed to be sanded down but I want to avoid messing with the blade because I don't want to ruin a piece that I can probably sell later. What's your Facebook, or I'll do a search to see if I can find it here. The maf matches the injector size. Stock cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online