can someone with a Y2k cobra R hood help a brother out?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am wanting to install an old school phoenix gold high output alternator with my install. My only problem is that this thing is HUGE, and it doesn't even have the voltage regulator onboard.... I will need to cut a custom bracket for the top but I already made a template for that, my only concern is how far it sticks up. I have been wanting to go with a custom hood like a y2k cobra R and hoping that it would have enough space up front to allow it to fit but hoping maybe someone can help? Do we have a member with a Y2k hood and a Vortech kit that could maybe throw some play-doh on top of their alt and then shut the hood so I can see how much space there is?

Please excuse the dust/mess
4449061397058102-a92f8fc778.jpg

Here you can see it peaking up from the fender right where the door is in the background. It will actually be a little higher then this when I cut the bracket.
9375251397058072-0fbdc3e4e1.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does this help?

kKsg6Xh.jpg

That fits under a y2k hood, modified though. mostly right under the "vents" where the base of the supercharger is and on the back wall. The spot were the snout and pulley are didn't interfere other than then large pulley did hit and crack the hood.

The pulley in the picture I believed fit in the bump on the y2k hood without modification. That bump is in the perfect location for the pulley though, not offcenter like you are.

It doesn't look like you stick up that much, I think you should be fine?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
WOW that's big(yea that's what she said).......... Ok cool if you can fit that hogs arm under it I don't see an issue with mine then. GAME ON!!!

And thank you.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Still after a couple years it makes me nervous to close the hood. It looks like it shouldn't fit under there...

I'd suggest you compare your fitment with a cowl hood. I can't remember off the top of my head what the cowl is. But I believe the y2k hood is basically a small cowl with the "vents" and bump added on top.

I don't think you'll have any problems making stuff fit.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you want to overkill.... Look at the y2k style hood that shifty and Detroit have. Boss something? They're huge!

LilRoush

Reaction score
Boss Inc makes a taller version of the Y2K R hood. I think ABC Exclusive makes a taller one as well.

The one I had on my 2000 was a 2.5" cowl and cleared the M112 snout on my V6. There is a LOT of usable space under them.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I really do not like the HUGE cowl hoods myself I really want a CF version just like yours...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online