Can't figure out exhaust rattle - need help!

PinkieT

Reaction score
Was riding in my wife's 98 when we started hearing a high pitched rattle over bumps. I got home and crawled underneath tapping everything I could find that might be the problem. The tailpipe is hitting the axle (we put lowering springs on it) but that isn't it. No heat shields or other possibilities in the area. When I hit the mufflers with my knuckles I heard the rattle. YES! It is like a "boing" vibration that lasts a second or two. I kept moving around and went back to try and pinpoint it, and it was not as bad. Less than five minutes later, it was gone! The muffs are welded Flowmasters, or at least clones. Is it possible for inside baffles to be loose enough to expand under heat and rattle, and stop once cooled off? If not, any other ideas???

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be clogged or broken cats. When mine went if I had my head under the car I could hear the noise was coming from in front of the mufflers, had to be the cats.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Thumped the car's cats while the 4 leggers glared at me. Car cats are fine.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now get a vid thumping the 4 leggers :). You want to count out that they are not the source after all.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
The 4 legged cats whine and hiss, but don't rattle. Wait, one of them is kinda stupid, so yes his head may rattle... But he wasn't in the car when were were driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.