Cant find the manifold crack??

pissedoffpony

Reaction score
Hi Guys- New here- Talking about a bone stock 97 GT conv,t with only 25 k miles...Today my stang left me stranded with a huge coolant leak. Limped it home, upon filling up the resivoir I could hear coolant leaking out the rear drivers underneath the manifold but I couldnt see anything. Tore it down and pulled the manifold off but I cant see any obvious cracks like Ive heard about these all plastic-no alum crossover. The Wife said she saw no wife smoke behind me driving home- what gives- maybe just the manifold gasket?? Should I replace the manifold anyway. Planning on checking the compression on number 8 tommorrow just to make sure its not the head gasket...

The way this thing was pouring out coolant I was sure I would be able to see a crack. Would a bad gasket leak that bad?? This thing is hardly driven and I pretty much baby it. Any help or insight would be appreciated as I dont have the time or money to keep tearing it down to try to fix it...

Thanks-

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if its coming otu the back, it is probably a gasket, since the plastic intake cracks in the front because of the stress the alternator puts on the crossover since it's bracket is connected to it.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
You could just replace the gasket... or while you're at it, replace the manifold with a P.I. intake with an aluminum crossover and snag a couple of extra ponies :dancing6:

GDawg

Reaction score
Have someone in the car while you are looking at the engine. Have that person rev the car to almost 6,000rpms. You will definitely see it then... I took video of me reving that high and I could see a definite squirt. Other than that it was hard to find.

I have a NPI with aluminum cross over for sell if you need. Not really advertising it right now.

See my "plastic intake replacement" link for more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online