car acting weird need help....

Austinx56

Reaction score
so my car sits most of the time, only take it to shows, and its run fine, recently when i try to start the car it wont turn over, if i wait a minute it fires right up, fuel pump was replaced last year so it cant be that, also when im driving the radio will turn off and on and the car feels like its about to shut off and my anti lock light flashes real quick, it never did any of this when i drive with ac off..... any ideas, please and thank you

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was going to say alternator myself, but starter switch is another possibility. And I think its a known problem with these cars. If you can, at least put a multimeter on the battery leads with the car running and with it off. Maybe rev it slowly too to check the voltage throughout the rpms.

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
I was going to say alternator myself, but starter switch is another possibility. And I think its a known problem with these cars. If you can, at least put a multimeter on the battery leads with the car running and with it off. Maybe rev it slowly too to check the voltage throughout the rpms.
thanks bud, im going to run up to the advance auto and let them check, i dont have a multimeter, car runs good when im on the gas, but when im in drive but not hitting the gas is when my problems start

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like your alternator is having trouble holding a charge.

grilla

Reaction score
Possibly could b a bad ground sum where if a lil critter got in there n chewed on it

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

grilla

Reaction score
I had a simular prob n thats what it was. A damn critter got up in there n chewd 1 of my ground wires up n my gauges were all whacked out.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=17573]Austinx56[/MENTION] is this still a problem? I'm assuming not as you haven't posted back in a while?

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
Austinx56 is this still a problem? I'm assuming not as you haven't posted back in a while?
she runs but now and then while im cruising its drops to 0 rpm's for a second, you fell the car stall then and goes back up, any idea's? thanks for checking up
maybe a tpd or iac??

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In a previous car of mine (not a Mustang), this would happen occasionally. It ended up being caused by the hall effect sensor in the dizzy - when it got hot, it would start to fail.

In your case, I think the issue could be the dizzy/TFI.

Also, if it's a stumble when the car is hot, it could also be your ECT sensor (the one that feeds the PCM, *not* the gauge).

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
In a previous car of mine (not a Mustang), this would happen occasionally. It ended up being caused by the hall effect sensor in the dizzy - when it got hot, it would start to fail.

In your case, I think the issue could be the dizzy/TFI.

Also, if it's a stumble when the car is hot, it could also be your ECT sensor (the one that feeds the PCM, *not* the gauge).
i feel dumb but i hav no idea what that is:poker:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Long description short.....its the cam sensor located inside the distributor. A new distributor is best but you are able to change the sensor out for not much money.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's exactly what mine did when the dizzy needed replaced. Fell on its face while cruising like someone had momentarily shut the key off and after a while it started having issues starting randomly. Replaced the dizzy and never had an issue again.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
Long description short.....its the cam sensor located inside the distributor. A new distributor is best but you are able to change the sensor out for not much money.
so this JUST happens i was driving and it shut off, put it in neutral while rolling and it fired up

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking distributor...that is exactly what would happen on my other car when the dizzy/PIP was going out (because of heat). Just to confirm, this never happens when the car is cold, right? Like if you just start it up and drive. It only happens when hot?

I could be totally wrong of course. Dizzy's can be expensive :(