Car bogging down/dying in rain.

wrgsm

Reaction score
Hey all. So, to start off, this only happens in the rain. No other times, EVER.

1996 GT

Basically, I was driving in the rain. It was light at first. What happens when driving is that the car would act like I let off the throttle for a split second, the engine would cut for half a second and then come back to normal. At first it did it occasionally, but it started raining harder, to the point where the car would bog down for about 2 seconds and then completely cut power.

My air intake is down by my passenger wheel, could the car be taking on water?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
There is a possibility of taking in water. Be sure the filter is attached and not fell off. It offers some splash protection. Now if you are driving through standing water, nothing protects you there. Also our cars came with plug wires and them crazy cracking pronged coil packs. Any breaks or rub through wire gets really weird during a rain.

Hopefully these suggestions help out.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Do you have a "Cold air intake" with the filter inside the fender? If so the filter could be getting wet.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
next time it happens stick your hand up and feel up yer filter. There are a number of electrical connections that could be getting old and then when they are wet bad things are happening. The best way to test for that is to try and grab/pull/tug/push on the wire harness connections while its running and see if it changes how its idling.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My 95 had that issue after I put on a cold air kit that put the filter in the passenger fender well.

Filter was getting soaked. Yanked that out and no more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black95

Reaction score
Hey all. So, to start off, this only happens in the rain. No other times, EVER.

1996 GT

Basically, I was driving in the rain. It was light at first. What happens when driving is that the car would act like I let off the throttle for a split second, the engine would cut for half a second and then come back to normal. At first it did it occasionally, but it started raining harder, to the point where the car would bog down for about 2 seconds and then completely cut power.

My air intake is down by my passenger wheel, could the car be taking on water?
I had the same problem and it turned out water was getting in through the fender well and the filter was getting wet, I suggest changing to an under the hood cold air kit and eliminate the issue, that's what I did

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online