Car dies after 5 minutes of running and wont star till cool down, TFI replaced.

grazzi

Reaction score
Hey, my auto 95 mustang gt has been having alot of issues lately, It does not wanna stay running after 5 minutes of driving, it usually happens when i'm comming to a stop. The car dies, no shakes, no warnings just dies like someone turned off the key, withing about 10-20 mins it will start, then stall and then when i turn the key again it starts up and goes for another 5 minutes. I've been using my whole suspension budget for the car trying to fix it. The cars got a new fuel pump, fuel filter, motocraft tfi module, wires, plugs, rotor cap, and coil. Car runs smooth, no misfires or vibrations. I can't figure it out, its getting spark and fuel. Is it possible the PCM might be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Only mods on the car is an intake, 70mm throttle body and an off road h pipe with flowmaster exhaust.

TanTop94

Reaction score
PIP in your distributor could be the problem. If anyone backs me on this you should get a new one, not a re-manufactured one.

toyman

Reaction score
^^^ That would be my first guess based on what you have replaced and the fail symptoms are classic failing PIP issues. Don't buy a reman as the PIP may pass only to fail after it's installed.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
as stated above.
You can replace the pip for about $20 but the dizzy will need to be completely taken apart.
Or just buy new and have a warrenty for about $100.

OP
OP
G

grazzi

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for the replies! i thought it was that but after it dies i still have spark in all cylinders off the dizzy. Thats the part that gets me, and i got proper fuel pressure. If the pip was gone would i still have spark?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I still had spark but it was to weak.
Does the FP come back on after the initial 5 second time out, the signal to keep the fp running and fire the injectors also comes from the PIP.
Every 5.0 owner has replaced the dizzy. at least once.

Fulleyes

Reaction score
I just went through the exact same symptoms with my 95 gt and it was the dizzy as everyone has mentioned above.

OP
OP
G

grazzi

Reaction score
Ya, the fp comes on but the engine wont start up till 10-20mins after sitting. I called ford about the dizzy assembly and they said that its a discontinued part. When i asked about the pip module they said that it was part of the distributor cause it was built in. Canada sucks for trying to get parts for cars that are over 8yrs old. Most of the stuff has to be special ordered from the usa. Is there any way i can check the pip module? I i kinda feel like an idiot cause i was gonna buy a Performance Distributors Hot Forged Distributor with tfi module from AM, but i went with the motocraft tfi module instead to save cash and motocraft stuff is more reliable. What about a Re-manufactured OEM dizzy from am?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Remanned dizzy's have been hit miss. Sometimes you get a good one sometime it will only work for a week.

toyman

Reaction score
Get a Richporter. All new and IIRC it's made in Canada. US price about $100. Google Richporter Distributors.

OP
OP
G

grazzi

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies and the help, i'm gonna order a dizzy, ill look into richporter, but i also get awesome discounts at napa, Is anyone running a napa dizzy? how is the quality?

Keith5.0

Reaction score
You could just replace the pip, pickup or hall effect sensor.... All the same part by a different name.
As stated the whole dizzy needs to come apart and I've done 2 on 2 different cars in the last few months and both cars are running fine now. Helps that I have a press for that pesky gear on the bottom. 30 mins max after checking and re checking your dizzy marks.
I got my parts at the Zone and was maybe $25. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online