Car Meets and Shows: big or small and how you should act

Reaction score
so i was out to dinner with my dad and we went to chilis in union city. when we got to the landing where all the shops and restaurants are i noticed a mass majority of the parking lot filled with cars. im talking mustangs, hondas, lightnings, corvettes, evos, rx7s, (older) supras, lexus, bmws, frs/brz, all sorts of crap. i was amused for about an hour while i was at dinner. when we left my dad decided to drive through and i got a look at some cars. i saw some sn95s and new edges, so i was like hey awesome ill come back after we go home.

so i got home, hopped in my car and drove back.

i knew that it wasnt really a car show or meet... and i know this area is pretty ghetto...but dude. holy crap...

any and all stereo types you can think of for asian and hispanic people...yeah that was it. everyone was rude, not a spec really of kindness. mean mugs and hoodies galore. i introduced myself to one guy who had an azure blue mach and i talked to him for all of about a minute until someone said "hey the lightning is gonna go do freeway pulls" and then hella people left. eric (mach 1 owner) was nice, but we had a short lived conversation.

next, i talked to the owners of a 95 gt and a 99 cobra... they werent really all that excited to talk. it was like pulling teeth asking him little questions about their cars.

and lastly the owner of a GHIG boss 302. this guy was a straight up dick. didnt want to talk. ignoring the fact i was interested in his car. why buy something nice and make it look cool if you dont want to talk about it? WHY THE HELL DID YOU PUT BIG NUMBERS ON THE HOOD AND DOORS MAN?

ultimately a total bs thing. i dont really know what i was expecting but it sure wasnt what i experienced tonight.

this experience furthers my belief that within about a 40/50 mile radius of where i live that i have one of, if not, the nicest sn95s around.

and let me elaborate on that statement.

people around here like loud and fast cars, but hey so do i, yet one of the main things that separates me (and the mass majority of members on this site) from them is that i love mustangs. im enthusiastic about them. i love them for their history, their legacy, what they stand for, all the cool little unique things.

our cars (94-98) in this area are beat to shit and everyone wants ridiculous prices for their beat to hell crap piles. when most people buy a GT or a Cobra or a Saleen or Roush, they dont buy it because of the uniqueness of the car or because its cool. they buy them because they can go fast. faster than most mustangs

when you do see cobras, saleens, and roush mustangs in this area theyre hardly modified exterior wise (which honestly you dont have to do much, but im talking these cars look like doodoo). theyre all moddified performance wise. change the rims here, tint the windows and light there. no individuality or stamp or passion to there vehicle.

now lets look at my car. 97 gt with REAL fr500s, carbon fiber svo skirts, carbon fiber s281 spoiler, ford racing and steeda performance parts, cobra front bumper and i have put my stamp and individuality on my car. its something that if you see my car and can recognize it that you remember the car. its not just "another" mustang on the road. it has character and its tasteful. also, if you ask me about my car? im gonna talk to you about it. ill be happy to. ill talk to you about whatever the hell interests you too even if i have no idea or info about the subject because im a people person. i cant tell you how many times i drive through streets, see a fellow mustang owner (or anything nice really) and compliment them and they look at me with a blank face.

whats my point?

most people buy these cars to go fast and beat the living crap out of them. ever heard the phrase beating a dead horse? people like us on this forum understand how to make a car unique, cool, have purpose, have meaning, be recognizable. we arent just about doing donuts and street racing. we look at a car that is beat up and neglected and go on thinking what mods you would do to get the car back to a show car or something respectable if it was yours... if it was your project car, your dream, your passion.

if youre there to showcase your car then be prepared for people to come and look at it and ask you questions. if not then take your DD piece so people dont bother you and go admire the other rides

Addermk2

Reaction score
um.... I beat the shit out of my car. And It'll never be a show car.

and im ok with that.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
If mine is running I'll be entering it plus my custom towncar in this year's show at the local ford dealer. Even though they told me they would not work on my gt,cause of pi swap lol. Don't even care if I win just want my customization to be see by the masses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Frank.JD.Perez
Reaction score
If mine is running I'll be entering it plus my custom towncar in this year's show at the local ford dealer. Even though they told me they would not work on my gt,cause of pi swap lol. Don't even care if I win just want my customization to be see by the masses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Exactly, you want to show off something custom and unique. Something that stands out and that you're proud of which is a huge distinction between someone like us and the people you see on the news doing stupid things with a Mustang being a get away vehicle

PinkieT

Reaction score
It takes all kinds. I was walked a large local cruise last weekend. Some guys couldn't shut up about their cars, others sat with their buddies and seemed like you were intruding on their little party if you asked them a question. My wife and I had our 98 ragtops parked together, and a 96 Cobra pulled in next to us. Politest guy - thanked me for opening my hood and showing him my engine compartment (like that was a burden :)). When he asked about exhaust, he said let him know when I was leaving so he could hear it. I said why wait and fired it right up, and again he thanked me.

Royal96

Reaction score
I once waited outside of my school for an hour to talk to a guy with a 1971 Fastback. What a waste of an hour, as the guy barely responded to any of my questions and either didn't know jack about his own car or just didn't care to talk.
It's hard because it's not really fair to expect anyone with a nice car to be willing to talk to strangers about it (After all, you are allowed to own a nice car for yourself and not others), but geeeeeeez you'd think some people could learn a thing or two about politeness.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I'll never understand the attitude of some show car owners either lol. When i get approached with questions about my car at shows i make it a point to be as polite and social as i can just to avoid that stereotype mustang owners carry with them. I think a lot of it is generations of owners too. My generation was taught manners and basic social skills so if you see me out there walk up and say hi i'll talk your fuukin ear off :grin:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll never understand the attitude of some show car owners either lol. When i get approached with questions about my car at shows i make it a point to be as polite and social as i can just to avoid that stereotype mustang owners carry with them. I think a lot of it is generations of owners too. My generation was taught manners and basic social skills so if you see me out there walk up and say hi i'll talk your fuukin ear off :grin:

Millennials are Satan's sperm.

But seriously you are right. Most of the young people I see at shows are only into showing off for their group of friends that already know what they have. I find most of the people my age (43) and older are there more for the chance to talk shop then the scene like the noobs. This is kinda why I only go to high end vehicle cars shows, unless there is a mustang only show.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
or knee high socks like my sister wore in the 80's

I live in Montana, where the men are men and the sheep are afraid. Never seen that. But I would avoid car talk with a person rocking those.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
or knee high socks like my sister wore in the 80's

Dude I loved that look...

1zfm0b7.jpg

PinkieT

Reaction score
Last year at the same cruise a kid came up in a beater 4-dr BMW he was working on. Most of the other old farts ignored him but I went over and asked about his car, what he had done, and what he planned to do. Hey, everybody has to start somewhere.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I talk to anyone and everyone about anything. If someone is interested in my junk, I let them know, they talked to the wrong fella, because they are about to get stuck lol.

But I need to point out a major flaw with the post. Since when are Mustangs fast ;p

WhiteStallion98

Reaction score
Totally know what you guys mean...I'll never forget how I joined a mustang forum for local mustang owners and went out to a meet they had and totally got dissed about having a V6....don't get me wrong I can take a joke but like these guys were angry at me for having her....which was really disappointing but that only showed me that there are good people and a-holes in this world...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Some people are just so introverted that they can't even discuss something they enjoy with someone they do not know. Others might be big enough a-holes that you would not want them to talk to you if you knew. Then on the other side of the coin, some people will never shut up. My dad and I went through a car show yesterday funny enough that was hosted by my old mustang club. I bet I talked to 6-8 people either briefly enough to compliment their paint or at one point dad found a guy with a 46 chevy that use to sell medical supplies at his office that we talked to for 15 mins. But funny enough I only waved hello at one of the club members and that was as far as I went out of my way to say hello. This town is not that big but we have 3 mustang clubs that were all created when people in another club could not get along and went and made their own. At one time we had 60 members and when we had a show we would have 15-20 of our cars there at least and always got the club participation trophy. This show I counted 6, and last I heard they were down to maybe 20 people. Most of the people I know over the past few years got tired of the BS between the clubs as we had people in our club that would get mad if they saw you talking to someone in another club, or if you in the area of their show and stopped by. What can I say is a crappy little town that 2 yrs ago that the only time you hear it being #1 in anything its not a good thing. Now pheonix I was in the biggest club in the nation the copper state club and they were all great people. Idunno.

I can't wait to get my car back together for a show to talk about it. That is part of the reason why I did everything myself was to be able to tell about it. Idunno people are people and sometimes it is what it is.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
so i was out to dinner with my dad and we went to chilis in union city. when we got to the landing where all the shops and restaurants are i noticed a mass majority of the parking lot filled with cars. im talking mustangs, hondas, lightnings, corvettes, evos, rx7s, (older) supras, lexus, bmws, frs/brz, all sorts of crap. i was amused for about an hour while i was at dinner. when we left my dad decided to drive through and i got a look at some cars. i saw some sn95s and new edges, so i was like hey awesome ill come back after we go home.

so i got home, hopped in my car and drove back.

i knew that it wasnt really a car show or meet... and i know this area is pretty ghetto...but dude. holy crap...

any and all stereo types you can think of for asian and hispanic people...yeah that was it. everyone was rude, not a spec really of kindness. mean mugs and hoodies galore. i introduced myself to one guy who had an azure blue mach and i talked to him for all of about a minute until someone said "hey the lightning is gonna go do freeway pulls" and then hella people left. eric (mach 1 owner) was nice, but we had a short lived conversation.

next, i talked to the owners of a 95 gt and a 99 cobra... they werent really all that excited to talk. it was like pulling teeth asking him little questions about their cars.

and lastly the owner of a GHIG boss 302. this guy was a straight up dick. didnt want to talk. ignoring the fact i was interested in his car. why buy something nice and make it look cool if you dont want to talk about it? WHY THE HELL DID YOU PUT BIG NUMBERS ON THE HOOD AND DOORS MAN?

ultimately a total bs thing. i dont really know what i was expecting but it sure wasnt what i experienced tonight.

this experience furthers my belief that within about a 40/50 mile radius of where i live that i have one of, if not, the nicest sn95s around.

and let me elaborate on that statement.

people around here like loud and fast cars, but hey so do i, yet one of the main things that separates me (and the mass majority of members on this site) from them is that i love mustangs. im enthusiastic about them. i love them for their history, their legacy, what they stand for, all the cool little unique things.

our cars (94-98) in this area are beat to shit and everyone wants ridiculous prices for their beat to hell crap piles. when most people buy a GT or a Cobra or a Saleen or Roush, they dont buy it because of the uniqueness of the car or because its cool. they buy them because they can go fast. faster than most mustangs

when you do see cobras, saleens, and roush mustangs in this area theyre hardly modified exterior wise (which honestly you dont have to do much, but im talking these cars look like doodoo). theyre all moddified performance wise. change the rims here, tint the windows and light there. no individuality or stamp or passion to there vehicle.

now lets look at my car. 97 gt with REAL fr500s, carbon fiber svo skirts, carbon fiber s281 spoiler, ford racing and steeda performance parts, cobra front bumper and i have put my stamp and individuality on my car. its something that if you see my car and can recognize it that you remember the car. its not just "another" mustang on the road. it has character and its tasteful. also, if you ask me about my car? im gonna talk to you about it. ill be happy to. ill talk to you about whatever the hell interests you too even if i have no idea or info about the subject because im a people person. i cant tell you how many times i drive through streets, see a fellow mustang owner (or anything nice really) and compliment them and they look at me with a blank face.

whats my point?

most people buy these cars to go fast and beat the living crap out of them. ever heard the phrase beating a dead horse? people like us on this forum understand how to make a car unique, cool, have purpose, have meaning, be recognizable. we arent just about doing donuts and street racing. we look at a car that is beat up and neglected and go on thinking what mods you would do to get the car back to a show car or something respectable if it was yours... if it was your project car, your dream, your passion.

if youre there to showcase your car then be prepared for people to come and look at it and ask you questions. if not then take your DD piece so people dont bother you and go admire the other rides

I can relate with you so much on this, i agree, alot of people ruined the car game they dont want to talk and are stuck up dicks like they think they are god gifts, and everybodys car is slow and shit compare to what they drive, if you dont want to talk dont go to a car show or car meet, you should expect questions and compliments lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.