Car Meets and Shows: big or small and how you should act

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frank.JD.Perez, May 29, 2016.

1. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

we all have our opinions on what our cars are for or what to do at a car show but it doesn't mean its right. Some people just want to go to the show, collect a trophy and go home and to others its a social event. Some people want to tell you about every detail and how to do it and others act like it is a secret because they don't want to see you copy them. I am amazed at what people bring to them and what they do at them but I go to have a good time no matter what. I am glad I don't have things that other people do at shows that piss me off the only variable I have at a show is how much I smile/laugh and for how long. I know people that get mad that some are detailing freaks and sit and clean/detail their car at the shows and now others that are upset if you don't talk to them. Sometimes I can walk through a show in 5 mins and other times it might take me an hour but either way I have fun. If people at shows are making you mad, its not what they are doing its what you are letting bother you. You can complain about it here, or you could go grab the DJ' mic at the show but either way it would not matter because they are not going to change, nor should they need to. They have their opinions and so do you and no one is %100 right except me, or at least that is the opinion we all have.

2. smitdavi

smitdavi Member

Yesterday was my first show I had put my car, or any car for that matter, in. I was shocked by the age of most of the drivers. I was by far the youngest there (I'm 32). Some guys were very friendly and had a lot of questions were great to talk to. Most just set up their chairs under their tent in the shade and were not to be approached lol. Had a great time, but it was kind of boring. If it wasn't for my iPhone and a couple of cigars, it would have been a long day. Had about 100 cars and I made so many laps and tried to find something new and different on each lap. I'd def do it again, as it will push me to better my car in ways I hadn't really thought about, but it can make for a long day if you don't have a good crowd of drivers that are interactive.

3. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

Hit another local cruise today. Many people showed up, circled up, talked to each other and ignored those looking at their cars. One SN95 ragtop drove up, husband and wife took the chairs out of the trunk and walked towards a large group near the DJ. They blended into the group and never came near the car in two hours. They were missing one of the Mach 460 speaker covers and I was going to say I live a block away, swing by and you can have one of my spares, but I never could figure out who they were. Oh, well, their loss. Lots of late model cars, older muscle cars, classics, and a few oddballs. I love the oddballs best. Talked to a guy with a patina'd 1960 Ford one ton flatbed for a long time. Nobody else seemed to care. Other guy had a 23,000 mile late 78s Ford full size wagon - family truckster kind - and I had a blast hearing the story about his car.

4. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

I was gonna stop by cars and coffee this morning but decided I like sleep better hahah

5. smitdavi

smitdavi Member

Our local cars and coffee starts at 11 lol

6. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

Yea...mine was at 8... and about a 20 minute drive too so. Sleep won

7. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I'll shoot the shits with anyone, male, female, 15 or 75. Idc. Youse cool with me, I'm cool with you. There's too many of the my shit doesn't stink types around at shows and meets. Funny thing is, 99% of those douchewaffles are modding/driving the banks car lmao. I don't really do shows and meets anymore. Don't have the time nor the patience for people's crap. I'd rather have a few people over and turn some wrenches and hangout.

8. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

< Has upgrades on a car that belongs to the bank. Doesn't see the problem.

9. Rob04Mach1

Rob04Mach1 New Member

I start conversations with total strangers all the time so car shows and meets are easy for me. I know what you mean about some people just having a stick stuck up their ass so screw them you simply move on. I go to as many meets as I can and generally I go alone and know no one, an hour or two later I'm BS-ing with everyone. To be honest I carry a portable chair and in all my years of going to meets I don't think I took it out a single time, I'm to busy talking to strangers, LOL

10. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

I meant most douchebags who act like their shit don't stink at car shows.

11. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

There's idiots in every part of this hobby. Whether you're at the race track, a car show, or on the internet. So you pick a good group and hang with them. It's more about the people you meet along the way.

99% of my close friends I've met through car clubs, car sites on the internet, race track, or car shows.

I'm picturing the OP experience like that 1st GTG scene on F&F1. Eveyone proving how badass they are. Lol.

12. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

Nah, they were just ghetto dicks

13. SikkStang

SikkStang New Member

Yup, agree with this 100%. Working on the car and driving it around are what I love. A friend coming over to shoot the shit, lend a hand, and drink a beer is what this hobby is about for me.

14. ttocs

ttocs Post Whore

I found out that I didn't want to talk to about half the mustang owners at a show here locally. Unfortunately I discovered they were in the club I joined... This is not a big town but there are 3 mustang clubs all of which seperated from another after some kind of disagreement. We had people in my club that would get mad if you went to a different clubs show that happened to be around the corner from where you lived or get mad if they saw you talking to someone from another club. It was the worst thing I have been a part of since Jr high and was so glad when they finally got the message that I had not paid dues or been seen anywhere. Funny enough it was the really old(since I am 40) people that were the worst. I keep in touch with the people I wanted to and was happy to not have to act like I liked the rest.

15. g36 monkey

g36 monkey Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

I don't even shit though. My body is efficient and generates no waste.

16. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

"Photosynthesis"

17. smitdavi

smitdavi Member

Wish you were a little closer so we could help one another :thumbsup:

18. PM-Performance

PM-Performance New Member

I am to the point that I dont even like going to shows anymore. Most of the people I see buy brand new off the shelf cars and put them in shows and win trophies and want to tell you the struggle they had finding the car and color combo they wanted. . . tough life. . .
    Other than that, it seems most people at the shows and meets I go to , really arent "car guys". I mean when you got people with $10/20/30/40k into building their car to be a true custom and no one even looks at them so they can run over and check out the new Hell Kitten or everyones 2015-2016 stock Mustangs, it gets old.
    You can tell the real car nuts though when they go up to those obscure cars and ask all kinds of questions and you can just tell they really like all kinds of wild stuff. Those guys seem to be few and far between though. Personally, I dont even sit by my car at all. I stroll in, park and walk away and go talk cars because I enjoy seeing what other people are doing.

19. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Legend

#firekitten

20. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

That's me!