Car running so rich will make your eyes water

Jburch

Reaction score
OKAY. This is my first post although referenced this site many times for advice on how to fix my car. I will start with a bit of background, I have loved sn95 since I was a kid, I am a 90s baby, so these were the cars that were new and shiny when I was a kid, and my whole family has always been ford drivers. So fast-forward to now. I am 23 years old and have finally saved enough money to buy a secondary vehicle other then my work van and I got gitty and bought a wrecked 1996 Mustang gt with 98000 miles on it. I'm familiar with wrecks have bought and rebuilt several. Parts replacing is easy, this car has a seperate issue. Its a mechanical NIGHTMARE. All I do is work on this darn thing and I can't seem to get a step ahead. Drive it home first day that I own it. Stop it in the drive way, come out the next morning, there is a ****ing quart of oil on the ground. The prior owner is an idiot, somehow cracked the valve cover and then just smeared silicone all over it to fix it. the "CAI" was pvc with couplers on it. This is just a couple examples so you can understand this car.

So, I am fighting with this car because it is running INSANELY rich. To the point it isn't tolerable to be in the car. These are the things that I know are working against me and I will also list the codes that it is throwing so maybe someone has had similar experience. The car has an offroad H pipe, and two flowmasters off of them with no tail pipes. the mufflers also are just rotted out one has a hole the size of your fist in it. These are the codes its throwing
p1443 Evaporative emmison purge valve malfunction
p0131 Oxygen sensor circuit low voltage bank 1 sensor 1
p0135 Oxygen sensor heater bank 1 Sensor 1
P0136 Oxygen sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 2 (see p2270, 2271)
p0141 Oxygen sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2
p1130 Lack of heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) switch, Adapt fuel at limit
p1131 Lack of heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) Switch, indicates lean
p1132 Lack of heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) switch, indicates rich
P0172 Bank 1 System to lean (non-mil)
P0171 Bank 1 System to rich(non-mil)

Any advice I'm open ears, because at this point I'm about ready to count my losses and TRY to get my money back and find another sn95 lol.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Check the wiring to the passenger side o2 sensors and test the resistance at the connectors. I bet theyre both open. Any exhaust leaks?

Do you need a stock intake? I have another one laying around.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No tailpipes and mufflers rusted out means the fumes will rise right up into the car. It’s just like having dumps.

Most of those codes could cause a rich condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is the motor stock other then the pvc or were the valve covers cracked while removing and adding shtuff?

OP
OP
J

Jburch

Reaction score
Check the wiring to the passenger side o2 sensors and test the resistance at the connectors. I bet theyre both open. Any exhaust leaks?

Do you need a stock intake? I have another one laying around.

I found a stock intake from a junk yard here locally and put it on. It was running rough before that because air I guess was getting by the MAF and it seems to be running better, and hard to tell if exhaust leak. hard to hear over the insane drone from the mufflers, lol. I was leaning toward front o2 sensors, and then get the mil eliminators from American muscle for the rears. Think that'll kind of point in the right direction?

OP
OP
J

Jburch

Reaction score
is the motor stock other then the pvc or were the valve covers cracked while removing and adding shtuff?

Yeah what it appears is that the valve cover gasket was leaking and he broke the vavle cover in the process of removal, or reinstall, because he didn't put in a new gasket kit and siliconed the cover on as well as the crack in it, went unnoticed tell the silicone failed, and boy did it. Lol, that issue is now fixed, other then the off road H, and 4.11 gears, I'm pretty sure the vehicle is stock.

OP
OP
J

Jburch

Reaction score
No tailpipes and mufflers rusted out means the fumes will rise right up into the car. It’s just like having dumps.

Most of those codes could cause a rich condition.

Think I should run some tails, and then just ignore everything else? lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think I should run some tails, and then just ignore everything else? lol

Ya gotta do what will make ya happy.

I myself love my side pipes but I know the fumes are gonna roll in when sitting at lights.
It doesn’t help that I have no cats. If yours have no cats then that will also help to make it seem as it’s running rich cause the unburnt gases don’t get reburnt in the cats.

OP
OP
J

Jburch

Reaction score
Ya gotta do what will make ya happy.

I myself love my side pipes but I know the fumes are gonna roll in when sitting at lights.
It doesn’t help that I have no cats. If yours have no cats then that will also help to make it seem as it’s running rich cause the unburnt gases don’t get reburnt in the cats.

Thanks! I may see whats up with the front o2s, and put a mil eliminator for the rears, and just enjoy the car and stop worrying about everything! Now just gotta save up enough to get those nasty flows off for some SLP's!

07GtS197

Reaction score
No mil eliminators wont help and part of time they dont even work. Your front passenger and rear passenger side o2 sensors are both dead it seems like. You need to take care of that first.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
With that many codes I'd almost expect harness problems on the passenger side. Shorting out on the exhaust pipe maybe? I'm still tracing a similar thing, started at the plug end and working my way back, wrapping them up in electrical tape for safety just to be sure. Go over all the vacuum lines and make sure they aren't rotted or improperly hooked up. Sounds like your car is as bad as mine was when I got it. Good luck man.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be in the tune as well. I got a bama tune with all my mods in the drop down menu but it had a CEL and made my eyes water as well. Some people seem to think that there is something big to gain with them and stick them in first since it has free tunes for life....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yuck!!!!! I hate bama tunes as much as I hate the bama tide!!!! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752