Car seems to get stuck at high rpms while driving in cold weather.

Bangdrum

Reaction score
95 5.0 at 137k on the clock. Had the same issue last year where I went through and replaced plugs, wires, swapped to msd cap/rotor, new filter, all new o2 sensors, cleaned the maf and throttle body. Issue seemed to persist until the weather got warmer. Now that it’s cold again here in NorCal, she’s acting up again and I wanted to ask here before I throw more money at her. A Buddy and I also checked the voltage on the iac last year and it seemed fine.

Car starts fine cold start/hot start and idles normal (though it is hard to drive and keep from stalling after letting it warm up for five or so.) But as I get driving I can feel it almost stay on throttle on its own and when I come to a stop, the idle spikes between 1500-2000 Rpms for several seconds before dropping to 1200 or so steadily. Restarting the car causes it to idle fine again until I start driving. So pretty much every stop light I’m shutting the car off lol. I’m thinking about getting a new maf and maybe even a new iac but wanted advice first. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bangdrum

Bangdrum

Reaction score
Stock tune or chipped?

Can you monitor operating temp?

I’m using stock temp gauge as well but I do have a three row rad and switched to a 180 Tstat over the summer after dealing with some cooling issues (stock rad was original and gunky) and now the car does run pretty cool. Actually planning on switching back to the 195 and using oe water neck. The polished one I have is junk. And I’d like the car to be a bit warmer as operating temp.

But this issue occurred before I ever did anything to the cooling system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmac

Reaction score
Smoke test is a great idea.

I would suggest the stock thermostat with your big rad.

Have you checked for any codes? Fan operating properly?

What is the ambient air temps where you are this time of year?

FYI. The fan turns on low speed at about 207 F. Hi speed turns on at 223 F.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online