Car shut off in 4th gear!?! HELP!

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
So I was racing a friend in his 06 Fusion. Car was fine the first run. Second run I was at the top of 3rd and I noticed that it started to miss, so I shifted to 4th and she shut off. I had to pull over. Now it won't start. I checked the oil and the dipstick shows nothing. So I bought 3 qts to dump in there and the dipstick still shows nothing. It starts now but idles VERY rough. When I first popped the hood the cap to the power steering fluid had come off?! Does anybody have any ideas?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
the power steering cap cam off? thats odd, have you checked it recently and didnt get it back on possibly? Its hard to say man sorry i cant help... but ill atleast bump it for ya ;D

97blackgt

Reaction score
did u overheat the engine...wheres all the oil going?

97blackgt

Reaction score
hmmm...it had to have gone someplace...unless u burned it?

But i think u would know if u burned 3 qts

whty98

Reaction score
I think if you checked the oil right after you shut it off it would be low because the oil hasn't gone completely back to the oil pan, you might have put in too much oil which is kinda bad. Check the oil and make sure you have the right amount. Don't know why it would shut off or miss

Anrev

Reaction score
You might wanna start looking for metal in the oil and filter. Sounds like you did something to the engine.

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
whty98 said:
I think if you checked the oil right after you shut it off it would be low because the oil hasn't gone completely back to the oil pan, you might have put in too much oil which is kinda bad. Check the oil and make sure you have the right amount. Don't know why it would shut off or miss

After letting it sit for a day, I checked the oil and it just BARELY shows anything. Still stumped!

ripper

Reaction score
So it was more than 3 qts low. I think there is a safety in our cars that shut it down if you get that low. Fill it and disconnect your battery for a bit. Reconnect and try to start it. You better find out were all that oil is going though.

ps And check your coolant for oil

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Stevo said:
So it was more than 3 qts low. I think there is a safety in our cars that shut it down if you get that low. Fill it and disconnect your battery for a bit. Reconnect and try to start it. You better find out were all that oil is going though.

Thanks Steveo!
I have no idea where all the oil went?!? It's crazy. Possibly though, it could have leaked from where the crank pulley is cause when I got my new pullies put on the guy didn't seal the crank pulley very well and I had a little leaking from there but it seemed to stop so maybe it was just alittle leak from the install. Hell I don't know!?! :dunno:

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Stevo said:

ok. i gave it an oil change, oil pan was full by the way. maybe the oil pump is bad?? :dunno: coolant is full. it starts but it idles like it wants to stall (rough), almost like it's not getting enough fuel but i can hear the fuel pump. no metal bits in the old oil either. i am so totally clueless right now. it's nice outside and my frickin' mustang is sitting in the driveway. :(

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
idles rough?

you check all the vacuum lines? Maybe one is bad or came loose?? Dunno, im car dumb.

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
i looked and listened under the hood but not very thoroughly. i'm HOPING its just a vacuum line or maybe a really dirty fuel filter or even just the oil pump. still don't know yet though. :(

Wickedz

Reaction score
I have the perfect answer. I have a 8 ton engine hoist used 1 time and that was to pull my turbo motor out of the laser. We need to pull your motor and slap in there a cobra motor from a 03 ;D

Wickedz

Reaction score
anything can be done. but anyway cobra motor for sure. Just letting you know I have a brand new hoist at my grandmas home that I will bring over to mandys and we can have that motor pulled within hours. Im getting better at this pulling lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online