car squeels

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by sxyxc, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sxyxc

sxyxc New Member

my belts squeel when i am on the car really hard, when it changes gears or i let go of the gas.. soo far i have only noticed it in 1st because i havn't pushed 2nd all the way to 3rd on my auto... what can i do to stop this??

also just random off topic stuff.. what is the top speed of a stock 97 gt vert auto?? and what is the final gear ratio??

2. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

They make a product called "belt dressing". Basically, it's a sticky coating that you spray on your belts to make them stop slipping and squealing. It may be time for you to get a new belt, with out serpentine systems your belt shouldn't be slipping unless your belt is old and dry or something is wrong with your tensioner. There is of course the off chance that you have a supercharger and that's making it slip at high boost if you have one.

3. black_96gt

black_96gt New Member

REPLACE THE BELT AND TENSIONER.. A RECALL WAS POSTED BY FORD FOR SOME GT'S A FEW YEARS BACK. MY CAR USED TO LOSE THE BELT IN BETWEEN 1-2 POWERSHIFTS. O0

4. voidfinger

voidfinger Well-Known Member

just get anothe belt. Also, the top speed is dependant on the options of the car... mine came with the optional 17 inch wheels and z rated tires so it didn't have a limiter and i've gotten it up to 145. I would never ever ever recommend you take it that high. I almost lost the car and me in the process.

5. Fryrice

Fryrice Active Member

+1 for new belt.

They had mine to 152mph on the dyno ,and that was the limit of the dyno,lol. Though mines a 5spd

6. scarface

scarface Guest

mine did that also, exactly the same, I put on a new belt and havent heard it since.

7. jfor441

jfor441 Legend

First things I always do when I buy a used car.

1. Put a new belt on.
    2. New plug wires
    3. New Plugs
    4. Change the oil and oil filter

8. voidfinger

voidfinger Well-Known Member

thats a good check list... i would add, "if its an auto" change the auto fluid and filter, and the rear diffential fluid.

If it has a lot of miles on it also, i would recommend changing the tentioner. And if its a mustang i would also recommend the cleaning of the MAF sensor, IAC, and replacing the PCV Valve. That would help out alot in the MPG department... I did those things plus the others and was getting 26 mpg with my auto vert :)