Car Storage

97svt#799

Reaction score
Not sure how many of you store your cars for the winter, mine will be hibernating here in the next few weeks. I've been reading online about parking the car on plastic sheeting on garage floors that tend to draw moisture. It is supposed to keep moisture from getting to the underside of to car. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm thinking about trying it since I have access to sheeting from work.

1bad95

Reaction score
mine will also be parked in a few weeks. gonna be up on jackstands in the garage. Never heard of the plastic sheeting before.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does your garage really have that much moisture?

I've never done that. I don't even cover my car. It gets fuel stabilizer and and started every 2 - 4 weeks.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I see no drawbacks trying out the plastic sheet, especially if you have access to the plastic at work. I'd try it too if I was you. On a side note this thread depresses me thinking about the long crappy winter and watching the holes in my truck bed get bigger each week lol

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I park my Mustang on plastic sheeting and 3/4" plywood. Both are great at blocking/sucking up the moisture. I learned that trick a few years ago when the bottom of my '68 Charger would be totally wet from condensation during the winter. Ever since then Ive parked the Charger and the Mustang on plastic and wood and they have been bone dry ever since...

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you store your cars for the winter, mine will be hibernating here in the next few weeks. I've been reading online about parking the car on plastic sheeting on garage floors that tend to draw moisture. It is supposed to keep moisture from getting to the underside of to car. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm thinking about trying it since I have access to sheeting from work.

Depends on how much of a show-car you have. Even with all of the work I've put into mine I simply let it sit in the garage. Someone who has gone what I like to call "stupid custom" with chrome everything under the car then yeah, then this is a good idea. For the regular guy without a $100k show-car with 12k miles on it... don't worry about it.

I back it into the garage, pull the ebrake, disconnect the negative battery cable, and it sits for the winter with a full tank of gas mixed with StaBil.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys really have that much moisture in the winter? I guess we have plenty of the white stuff, but very low humidity.

Also, why do people park their car with a full tank? to get the mixture correct?
I usually leave <1/8th in my car. This year I did a bit more because it pissed me off so I parked it. I usually guestimate the stabilizer. I dunno, I would like to run as little of the "garbage" gas as possible and get fresh stuff in there asap.

kb1982

Reaction score
Full tank of gas means less air in the tank, and moisture and air cause rust. With the right amount of Stabil in the tank, a full tank of gas will be pretty good a year later. For that tank you will get less fuel milage though. After a year of my motorcycles been parked while deployed, theyran just as good as when I left them, but I did get about 25 less miles on that tank.

OP
OP
97svt#799

97svt#799

Reaction score
The barn my car is going in has 3 other cars in it and the floor gets very wet on warmer winter days.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've used filter cloth before but my ship is heated so my cars safe

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
67 mustang in here

532e04ccb1b225f10f435aa54d391b5b.jpg
[/IMG]

Race car in here [heated]
8f6deeacb1c87c96e28ab1e311b0a14f.jpg

torch318

Reaction score
3f98e2e017089a02f5627e3767a49f70.jpg

Have you guys ever seen these or know someone who uses one?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought it was best to park the car with the least amount of fuel possible in the tank, mixed with some stabilizer (starting it periodically through the winter) and then fill it with fresh gas in the spring... at least that's what I've been doing this whole time.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I always thought it was best to park the car with the least amount of fuel possible in the tank, mixed with some stabilizer (starting it periodically through the winter) and then fill it with fresh gas in the spring... at least that's what I've been doing this whole time.

OLD DAYS YES!!!

Now with ethanol and if the car isnt in heated storage you can get some nasty results. In small engines ie mowers/blowers/bikes ect Id suggest you use VP Small engine Ethanol Free fuel. You can also use this for your car but at 8:00/gallon it tens to get pricey.

toto88

Reaction score
I back it into the garage, pull the ebrake, disconnect the negative battery cable, and it sits for the winter with a full tank of gas mixed with StaBil.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea if you read the sta-bil bottle it says "park the car with a full tank to avoid moisture build up"

I'll be storing my car, but not because winter, or whatever you guys are talking about. Because racecar lol

SCHNAKE

Reaction score
Sta Bil has a new product called 360. It protects above and below the fuel line so you don't need a full tank. I just put some in with only a quarter tank of gas. spent 2 hours detailing and put the car cover on. See you in the spring buddy:( I hate winter.

GRAFIX

Reaction score
Just stored mine. Tarp on floor. Wheels on wood planks. Added Stabil and filled tank. Diehard battery maintainer hooked up. Baking soda box inside and a few dryer sheets inside. Car cover. Oil changed.

643abeda50b685843b4d0d6ed8566cb4.jpg

OP
OP
97svt#799

97svt#799

Reaction score
Filled the toy box up today, always kinda a depressing day. Nighty night.
20141109_135329_zpsfpy0dh0c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.