Car turns off while driving..ideas???

Z28 This

Reaction score
ok so every once in awhile the car will shut off while driving( rpms drops to 0 and its like the engine shuts off or stalls) then it turns right back on well several days ago it happened and this time it didnt turn back on, i tried to turn it back on it was turning over but wasnt fireing..so i had to have it towed...i let it sit then put jumper cables on it just to see and it started up...i drove it 3 miles then it shut off again at a stop light ..so i pushed it in a parking lot then jumped it off again and it started....well i thought it was the Ignition Control module...i took it out and it failed on the threshold 2x so i replaced that it was good for about 2 days then it shut off again and didnt turn back on (it was turning over but wasnt fireing) then i opened the hood and heard a 2 clicks...and it done it again 2 clicks....so i checked the wires and i pushed down the #2 cylinder ignition wire and it shocked me...well i pressed down on it and i went and the car started up...i drove it to raleigh after that and back and today i drove it and its fine....any ideas

could some of these be my problem??
-constant control module
-stator assembly
-bad computer
-EGR valve
-ignition switch
or something else?

plz i need help...

97blackgt

Reaction score
my buddy had a 3000 gt, had exact same problems u mentioned. When the sensors lose the square wave(i think) signal the car shuts down because it doesnt know how to time anything.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Good try but out cars don't have cam or crank sensors!

Did you get the plug wire situation worked out? How old is your cap and rotor? Check the PIP or Mag Pick up on the dizzy. Its under the rotor in the dizzy. If its loose or corroded, the igintion can flat out shit on you. Pick up a haynes as well if you don't have one...in it, it tells you how to check for a bad TFI module.

OP
OP
Z

Z28 This

Reaction score
its brand new MSD cap and rotor with ford racing 9mm plug wires

97blackgt

Reaction score
sorry man i didnt realize u had a 94-95. I always think 96-98 when i answer these questions...my bad

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
sorry man i didnt realize u had a 94-95. I always think 96-98 when i answer these questions...my bad
i don't come in this section very often either. unless i see a question that i think i can help with or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online