Car wont start

MrPs97

Reaction score
This post is for a friend of mine . He just bought a 2002 V6 5 speed . It ran great for about 3 weeks , then he went to start it one morning and it wouldn't turn over . He has bought a new battery , starter and clutch position switch and it still wont turn over . Lights come on , voltage is good at battery . The car will run when he pops the clutch and it doesn't stall or anything . Any ideas guys ? Could really use some help with this one .

RichV

Reaction score
Ignition switch is where I'd go next.

But check all fuses 1st.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
alarm?

I tripped my alarm by accident once and had to pop the clutch to get it home lol.

Milehigh JDF

Reaction score
Check how tight the battery cables are, ran I to the same issue when I first bought my car. They looked tight but weren't making a good enough connection to turn the starter

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Thank you MrPs97 for posting that for me. Here is all of the items that I have replaced and still no start. Battery, Starter, ignition switch. I bypassed the clutch sensor and all of the fuses are good. swapped the light relay with the starter relay lights work still no start. I am at an impass here and I'm not sure where else to look. When this happened I popped the clutch and drove home no issues turned it off and nothing. I leaning towards the security but when I turn the key to start it the light goes off. Any and all help would be great

OP
OP
M

MrPs97

Reaction score
He figures it . It was the PATS . He bypassed it with a push button start . Thanks guys for all your help .

OP
OP
M

MrPs97

Reaction score
I have no idea TTOCS . Thats what he told me he did . I asked if he let it run for a while to see if the car shut off , he said it ran fine .

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I bypassed the pats system to the colum. I have been driving the car non-stop for a few days now. Honestly not sure if that is the issue or not I used a power probe and started the car at the starter relay switch then I used the same probe and started the car at the clutch ignition switch both times the car started. When I insert the key into the ignition all of the lights come on and the car wont start. I am able to start the car remotley with a push button starter switch. I bypassed everything by going from the battery to were I was able to start the car and hard wired a push button switch. The key has to be in the run position and push the button and it starts. Unsure still what is wrong with the car it runs and starts so Im good for now.

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
basically what I did was run a wire from the battery to one side of the push button switch and the other side to the hot side of the clutch switch the key has to be in the run position for the car to start. If the key is in the off position the car turns over and doesnt start. turn the key off the car stops. Again I am not sure what the actual problem is I replace the starter the battery the coil pack crank positioning sensor and the ignition. and after all of this is still wouldnt start. Got with a old hot rod buddy and he said he could start it in 10 mins I spent a week and a half on it. he started it in 5 cost me a 6 pack best money every spent. I want to thank everyone for there help on this.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
None of this makes any sense... I can't help but think if I were you, I would have spent some more time trying to logically investigate the root cause of this issue rather than wiring up "bypass buttons" to try and circumvent the gremlin.

OP
OP
M

MrPs97

Reaction score
He doesnt have to worry about it anymore . He traded it a an SN95 GT this weekend .

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
DeepList I agree with you that I shouldve went a little deeper into it and found out what the real issue was. I was on the fence with this car there were a lot of problems with it that I wasnt willing to deal with at the time. I put a lot of money into that car. As MrPs97 said I traded it for a 96 gt cobra clone that I like alot better than the 04. The person I traded with was aware of the issues I was having with it and all the 96 had its own issues but nothing electrical at this time. It worked out for both of us he wanted ac and I wanted a V8. I actually looked at a 97 GT before the 04 but it had no power windows etc in it and I couldnt get the seat back to fit in it so I thought I was to tall for it later I found out that the seat track must have been broken because I fit in my 96 fine. I wanted a mustang and I basically jumped at the first one I saw which was my biggest mistake. Now I am aware of what to look for when getting one of these cars and what to walk away from when I see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online