car wont start?

hottwheels04

Reaction score
K so my car randomly wouldnt start,i just had to recharge the battery being all this below zero weather my car sitting all winter, so i bought a new red top optima battery last april and it was already dead so i recharged it the car started. well that was last month, i went out the other night it started fine, next day i try to start wont start, I hooked up my portable battery jumper starter, the car didnt start, after it charged to 93% it started, well i let it run for 15 min shut it off the car now wont start again, so i was thinking the battery just wont hold the charge, well i took it to a firestone they checked the battery said its ok. im like wtf, so i put a new battery in the car wont start at all now. so when you turn the key you hear a whine like a supercharger or blender, then you keep turning the key you hear that noise then a small click. i was told its the starter, the thing that sucks is, the battery is 11 months old, the starter is 1 year old and the alternator is prob only a year old aswell. ive been told the alternator or starter, but I would think if its the alternator it would start just wouldnt hold the charge. then i was told the starter but i hear the starter. what else could it be? i was told it could be a fuse or the ignition thing under the steering colum? anybody since i wasted the $ on a new battery for no reason.but this same thing happened last winter and last month it was the battery , but now its not its still doing same noise? so im lost. last year it was the starter when it did similar thing so idk. i checked volts and alternator, they seem to be fine 12.5 for battery on the post and 14 for alternator.

lutter94

Reaction score
Can you please clarify what doesn't start mean. Either it means it doesn't turn over, or it is turning over and not starting.

Even if it's obvious that its not turning over. It helps everyone on here.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Can you please clarify what doesn't start mean. Either it means it doesn't turn over, or it is turning over and not starting.

Even if it's obvious that its not turning over. It helps everyone on here.

wont start you turn the key to turn over and all you hear is a " brrr blender/ whine then a small click after the whine noise, it sounds like a supercharger or blender whine / noise lol, I was told its the starter not turning over.

kb1982

Reaction score
If the sound is coming from the starter, it prolly is because the bendix isnt engaging the flywheel. Get up under the car and tap the starter with a hammer. Usually does the trick for a little while.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
If the sound is coming from the starter, it prolly is because the bendix isnt engaging the flywheel. Get up under the car and tap the starter with a hammer. Usually does the trick for a little while.

yeah this trick worked on a car i had before, but starter was easier to get to. thanks ill try it .

But everybody says this car the starter is easy to remove, but I cant even reach any socket or see underneath the bolts to even unbolt to even move the starter out to, unconnect the wires . you can see the top bolt and starter from the top of the passenger engine bay and wires, to starter, but I cant reach my hand down inside to get to it either way from top or bottom, I also have long tube headers aswell, this is gonna be fun, its prob easy for others on a lift or with no long tubes , where you can stand and actually see the bolts and room to remove. wish me luck :( lol

kb1982

Reaction score
Its not to bad. A swivel extension will be your friend. Finger out the bolt and put the socket and extension on the bolt, then put the ratchet on it. I try not to remove any of the wires until i have the starter dropped down. Makes life easier, if you have enough play in your wires.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Its not to bad. A swivel extension will be your friend. Finger out the bolt and put the socket and extension on the bolt, then put the ratchet on it. I try not to remove any of the wires until i have the starter dropped down. Makes life easier, if you have enough play in your wires.
thanks!

lutter94

Reaction score
I have Mac LT's. I am 99.99% confident I would have to either pull my header or trans to get that guy out of there. It sucks.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
I have Mac LT's. I am 99.99% confident I would have to either pull my header or trans to get that guy out of there. It sucks.
see thats what sucks :( i tryed to get my hand down in to the top bolt and headers are in the way from the top I went under the car with a jack on my back *( sucks no lift )* and couldnt see or clear the bolts, I will see if i can atleast knock the starter with a hammer maybe i can get it started so i can atleast get the car on somebodys lift to do it lol dont want to have to tow the car

kb1982

Reaction score
Dont rule out poppin the clutch either if it is a 5 spd. Mine with bbk longtubes wasnt that bad. I had to position my body where i couldnt even see the bolts, but I just feel them out alot of times. Heres a picture of my starter with my old pinched long tubes. Crappy cellphone pic that the starter just happened to photobomb while gettin a pic of the Dart logo on the block.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Dont rule out poppin the clutch either if it is a 5 spd. Mine with bbk longtubes wasnt that bad. I had to position my body where i couldnt even see the bolts, but I just feel them out alot of times. Heres a picture of my starter with my old pinched long tubes. Crappy cellphone pic that the starter just happened to photobomb while gettin a pic of the Dart logo on the block.
thanks! im gonna start with knocking the starter see if i can get it to start,then if that doesnt work might try to pop start it the go from there I bought a new starter either way, im done with this rebuilt / remanf untis, i went through 3 napa alternators now 2 starters from people boys in 2 years lol ****ing pos rebuilts!

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
well thanks for the help everybody!I was able to knock on the starter and was able to start my car so I got it to a buddies lift and he helped me change the starter good thing I didnt attempt to try on my back the top bolt was a ***** to get to with longtubes on the car even on a lift cant imagine on the ground lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online