carb or injected

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Adder you don't even know half of my mods. I haven't been on here in a while and I've done quite a bit to the car since so I suggest you play nice in the sandbox. As for you making twice as much power I could really care less what you make. I don't care if you make less or more power than me it doesn't affect me any different at the end of the day.

If you get serious with EFI or change enough of the right stuff with EFI your gonna need a tuner. If you don't use a tuner and you spend all the money on these mods your shorting yourself in reality by not having an optimum tune for your setup.

Tuners cost way more than a set of jets, screwdriver, power valve, and accelerator pump cams. Tuners are over a grand easy. All of the items I just listed can all be had for under 50 bucks easily.

It's not my fault you don't like carbs and it's not your fault that I don't like EFI. It's a difference of opinion that your taking too serious. People like what they like, but I am just stating what I know to be true in my experiences.

As for me keeping my advice to myself I don't reckon I asked for your damn opinion on what I should do so I suggest you take your comment and shove it up your a boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious what kind of "tuner" you are talking about myself. Pushrod cars don't have any plug and play tuners available, only chips or standalone. Many respectable builds have been done with an sct 4bank or moates chip and those can both be had for very cheap.

Nice thing about efi is once it's set, it's set. Anybody who's ever built street rods or muscle cars will tell you that no matter how nice of a carb or how well adjusted your carb is that you will always have to occasionally retune it. It's a never ending cycle.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yah, EFI can be more expensive, and I'm sure if you wanted to go with a AEM standalone or something like that you will be shelling out $2000+, but like some folks have said here, the stock computer with a QuarterHorse (plus software, so it's a little more than $240 - but no where near $2000) works perfectly fine. There is nothing that you can't control with a QuarterHorse.

So while there are $2000 tuners out there for sure, I think the point that is trying to be made (perhaps unsuccessfully) is that for our cars, there's a much cheaper option so it sort of weakens the whole "EFI costs too much" position. Now, if one like Carb and that's what you like, cool. If one likes EFI, cool. People will have different opinions on it. It probably is more expensive than a carb, however a stock car already comes with most of what you need, and not too much more coin will get you the rest of the way. Probably about the same cost of swapping over to carb (or at least close).

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I guess when I say the word "tuner" I'm referring to a standalone kinda falls under that category IMO.

A carb is way cheaper than EFI and always will be. A carb setup can perform the same or better than a EFI setup. A carb can be fixed like a true American with a screwdriver, whereas EFI needs some Japanese robot microchip telling it what's good.

As for EFI being good once it's set well if that was true then why do we have all of these tuners, chips, standalone blah blah blah that have to be adjust your EFI setup when you change something? But I'm not saying a carb doesn't have to be adjusted from time to time. Same thing with a carb if you change stuff i.e. Intakes, camshafts, jets. You will have to readjust the carb to give you optimum performance for those modifications you made. EFI you have to do the same thing you have to change the way your EFI setup works in order to get the most out of your modifications when you make them.

Neither EFI or carb is set for good "once it's set" both of them "should be" adjusted when you make modifications in order to get the most performance out of the modifications you have made. My point is a carb is cheaper and you can fix one yourself without the help of fancy gizmos and electronics.

Cameron

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess when I say the word "tuner" I'm referring to a standalone kinda falls under that category IMO.

A carb is way cheaper than EFI and always will be. A carb setup can perform the same or better than a EFI setup. A carb can be fixed like a true American with a screwdriver, whereas EFI needs some Japanese robot microchip telling it what's good.

As for EFI being good once it's set well if that was true then why do we have all of these tuners, chips, standalone blah blah blah that have to be adjust your EFI setup when you change something? But I'm not saying a carb doesn't have to be adjusted from time to time. Same thing with a carb if you change stuff i.e. Intakes, camshafts, jets. You will have to readjust the carb to give you optimum performance for those modifications you made. EFI you have to do the same thing you have to change the way your EFI setup works in order to get the most out of your modifications when you make them.

Neither EFI or carb is set for good "once it's set" both of them "should be" adjusted when you make modifications in order to get the most performance out of the modifications you have made. My point is a carb is cheaper and you can fix one yourself without the help of fancy gizmos and electronics.

Cameron

You totally don't get what I'm talking about. Once your done modifying your car you should never have to make changes. If you do make further modifications then obviously you will probably have to retune.

With a carb you will always have to go back and make adjustments. I had plenty of true American muscle with carbs and none have ever stayed "perfectly set". Big cams and driving the car hard will eventually cause the carb to need occasional tuning.

I had a 73 stingray putting down around 500 at the rears with a Holley dominator o top. Had to make adjustments every time the weather changed pulled it off and put Holley projection efi on and tuned it. Made 20 more horse and never had to touch it again.

And as far as price I know people making 1000+ with carbs that have over $2k in their carbs alone

I'm starting to think you want to just argue without doing any research first

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Evil newsflash everyone argues with me on this forum ALL THE TIME some people just can't stand the truth I guess and their panties get in a bunch.

Maybe you totally don't get what I'm talking about. I said EFI and Carbs both have to be adjusted WHEN YOU CHANGE SOMETHING.

Yes carbs are gonna change with the weather some, but like for cold conditions if you have a choke setup that's worth a crap you will be fine. Most people don't know how to set a carb correctly and therefore hate them because it requires a brain and a real mechanic to set one correctly. It also requires you have a carburetor that's worth having as well your only as good as your product lets you be.

Yeah sure people could have 2 grand in their carbs maybe if they had 2-3 carbs like a Quickfuel meant for a blower setup. Hell you could have 2 grand in a keychain I'm sure if you tried hard enough.

Cameron

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
45ca392c91304ad27127f09ba71f4969.jpg

This is what a guy here in Louisville is running. He spent almost $500 in additional work and mods to it before it got bolted on top of his nitrous car.

Yeah I'll stick to my "Japanese" chip that I can have programmed for far less.

Also, if you don't want foreign parts on your car then you really need to reconsider driving a mustang or any other newer model car for that matter. American cars haven't been fully American made is over 30-40 years. They get parts manufactured elsewhere before bolting them on at the factory

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol guys. Seriously. If we can't keep the conversation cordial regarding carbs vs EFI without bringing insults to the table, then we should all wrap this thread up and move on. There is a very excellent chance that there are some die-hard carb folks who will never give it up, and there are some die-hard EFI folks who also won't give it up. And never the two shall meet.

If we want to extol the pros and cons of carbs vs EFI, then cool, let's do that, but please lets keep this friendly. We all need to understand that this might something we just all may not see eye-to-eye on, and that's okay.

So continue the debate - with facts and experience and equally importantly: some respect.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
First off none of you have the motor to run that 1,400 dollar carb pictured above. Way to much for any of our cars. Secondly yeah I'm a good ol country boy and there ain't nothin wrong with that just like your a leafer hell ain't nothing wrong with that I eat maple syrup on my pancakes js...

As stated above before by me and now by mcglsr2 it's difference of opinion it's like asking Chevy or Ford (I know someone just screamed ford lol). It's my opinion based on my experiences and I have the right to it just like you have the right to yours. I don't have to like yours and you don't have to like mine.

Also for the record "my attempt" to make a comeback worked eh?

ROFL damn I had a good message I should have just left that last part out BAHAHA

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Building a turbo Windsor motor right now. If you don't think that would take a seriously expensive carb than you obviously know less then we already thought you knew

Addermk2

Reaction score
First off none of you have the motor to run that 1,400 dollar carb pictured above. Way to much for any of our cars.

Building a turbo Windsor motor right now. If you don't think that would take a seriously expensive carb than you obviously know less then we already thought you knew

Low boost on my car... 955CFM

On the small turbo.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
The carb pictured above is 1475CFM... That's a BIG jump from 955CFM. Your car couldn't handle nor need a 1475CFM carb. A 1050 dominator can be had for 250 bucks used quite easily around here. So if you think that your turbo Windsor motor requires a "seriously expensive carb" then you obviously don't know that much about cars in general.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd trust [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] long before Id trust someone obviously is stuck in the past and hasn't a clue of how modern technology works at all.

If you'd of read what he said, you'd of seen that his turbo Windsor would need a 955cfm at low boost with his small turbo. He's not running a small turbo and sure as hell not running low boost. So that small used dominator wouldn't cut it.

I'm not runnin a small turbo nor will I be running low boost. But since you seem to have a clue you can just go along and keep on guessin.

Don't know why your on here wasting people's time when all your gonna do is bolt an old beat up quadrajunk 2 barrel on a stock motor that obviously doesn't need any of our fangdangled japachinaswahillian robo thingies.

Good luck with building your car with american only parts.........oh wait, then you'd only have half a car since again as stated earlier half the stuff on our cars were not made in America.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I'd trust [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] long before Id trust someone obviously is stuck in the past and hasn't a clue of how modern technology works at all.

If you'd of read what he said, you'd of seen that his turbo Windsor would need a 955cfm at low boost with his small turbo. He's not running a small turbo and sure as hell not running low boost. So that small used dominator wouldn't cut it.

I should be able to pull 1250cfm by the time I finish the tune. Once the new shortblock goes in, I should be able to easily see 1000hp.

But what the hell do I know. My robot does everything for me.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You're the same guy who thinks that a pretty much bone stock 302 with a very mild can and small set of heads is going to net 400+ horse when so many others have considerably more done to their cars and net less. So really truly when I say your "opinions" don't really matter and have no proven value them that's what it is. There is plenty of members on here who have built, true and tested beast, Addermk2 Musturd and others whos proven knowledge with dyno sheets, track times, and tuning on others cars.

If carbs were so great then why did the redneck gods(NASCAR) that you pray to daily while drinking your pbr's or Busch or shine switch to efi?!? Cause it's infinitely better!!!!

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The majority of the crap has been cleaned out of the thread...

There's no reason why we can't have a debate and argue both sides without resorting to name calling and other childish bullshit. Come on guys. No more warnings.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The majority of the crap has been cleaned out of the thread...

There's no reason why we can't have a debate and argue both sides without resorting to name calling and other childish bullshit. Come on guys. No more warnings.

Yes'sir!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online