carburated sn95??

97vertstang

Reaction score
i just wanted to know if any one had a carburated sn95??i love seen carburated late model cars but never seen a sn95 :dunno:

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not seen one, but a friend of mine is talking about swaping his from injected to carborated.

DisturbedRacing

Reaction score
832carbswap8-med.jpg

832carbswap15-med.jpg

eesjunin

Reaction score
i hate to bring this up from that far back...but can you tell me whats required to do a carb swap? i am currently starting from ground zero on the 95 gt...and was weighing in whether to go back to EFI or do the carb engine.
Besides carb...do i need a new "mechanical" pump? anything else?
thanks!

punched281

Reaction score
i hate to bring this up from that far back...but can you tell me whats required to do a carb swap? i am currently starting from ground zero on the 95 gt...and was weighing in whether to go back to EFI or do the carb engine.
Besides carb...do i need a new "mechanical" pump? anything else?
thanks!

No you don't need a mechanical pump. You need a low pressure fuel pump. Low pressure fuel reg and an intake that is 4150 bolt pattern. Then just a generic throttle cable.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you doing it because you have all the parts and why not or is there some other reason you want it?

eesjunin

Reaction score
The reason i am considering it is because the shop that will do my rotating assembly will do the start up and initial tune with a carb.
Then i will have to install the engine into the car...bring it back for the secondary computer/FI tune...
If i went with the carb system, the shop would only have to do it once...

eesjunin

Reaction score
Here is mine, lots of people hate on it. It is a built 2v and its carbed! haha
Looks nice and clean! Is that Edelbrock Vjr intake manif? What Carb are you running? I am considering the 750cfm Holley

No you don't need a mechanical pump. You need a low pressure fuel pump. Low pressure fuel reg and an intake that is 4150 bolt pattern. Then just a generic throttle cable.
Low pressure? hmm i was under assumption that the stock 90LPH pump isnt sufficient to get the output that my set up is designed for...i dug out the literature how to siuze your FP and it dictates that i need a 255LPH...could you explain that to me, please?

punched281

Reaction score
Looks nice and clean! Is that Edelbrock Vjr intake manif? What Carb are you running? I am considering the 750cfm Holley

Low pressure? hmm i was under assumption that the stock 90LPH pump isnt sufficient to get the output that my set up is designed for...i dug out the literature how to siuze your FP and it dictates that i need a 255LPH...could you explain that to me, please?

its a holley 650. I wish I would have gone a little bigger, these motors like to breath up top. It is the vic jr intake.

You want good volume, but carb operates at 5-9 psi. EFI has a pressure of 30-45 psi ballpark. I got a Holley blue electric fuel pump and it is an inline pump. And a regulator made for lower pressure. It is lower pressure but still a bunch of volume which is the LPH.

So you want a good volume pump that supplies that volume at a low pressure or it ill just fill your bowls up and fuel will leak out everywhere. I tried to use my 255 from efi with a low pressure regulator and I was still getting 20 psi at the carb, everything just filled up and overflowed with fuel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-802-1/

eesjunin

Reaction score
its a holley 650. I wish I would have gone a little bigger, these motors like to breath up top. It is the vic jr intake.

You want good volume, but carb operates at 5-9 psi. EFI has a pressure of 30-45 psi ballpark. I got a Holley blue electric fuel pump and it is an inline pump. And a regulator made for lower pressure. It is lower pressure but still a bunch of volume which is the LPH.

So you want a good volume pump that supplies that volume at a low pressure or it ill just fill your bowls up and fuel will leak out everywhere. I tried to use my 255 from efi with a low pressure regulator and I was still getting 20 psi at the carb, everything just filled up and overflowed with fuel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-802-1/

I see... thank you for the lesson! i understand now LPH vs PSI...got it... thanks for the link too!
I'll look into that!

My silver sn is carbed but it has a 460. Lol
Looks monstrous ! :)

eesjunin

Reaction score
^ Very cool! Nice job!

@ Punched....so is there different fuel system sizing calculation out there? looks like the carb cars operate on lower PSI and lower LPH? or should it be sized with lower PSI and same LPH for the HP?

cameron57

Reaction score
If you are doing a carb the correct way and going to stay carbed. Sump the tank and run steel braid with a good pump like a a1000 and a regulator. Then pick a carb if you have a 302 a 600 will be plenty

punched281

Reaction score
^ Very cool! Nice job!

@ Punched....so is there different fuel system sizing calculation out there? looks like the carb cars operate on lower PSI and lower LPH? or should it be sized with lower PSI and same LPH for the HP?

Yes they do require lower, but as far as the fine tuning for the fuel that's where the regulator comes in and them different jets and all that good stuff in the carb.

I sumped my tank as well, ran se good line too. That's the way to go if you're able to. I sumped my own tank. And like Cameron said, pick the right size carb. I've seen a lot of 302's with 650's too.

eesjunin

Reaction score
WHat is meant by Sumped?
I am building a 347...thats why i mentioned a Holley 750...

punched281

Reaction score
A sump is a small reservoir at the lowest part of a tank and it drains there. And they look nasty haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online