Cars a Dog

94 DropTop

Reaction score
What could cause my 94 to be a dog. It just seems to be really slugish, i think my 95 v6 could walk all over it. Its usually off the line that it runs like a turd. the top end is decent but not were it should be. Note the car has a 40,000 mile engine and a new tranny w/about 6000 miles. It has been like this since I got it.

Here is a list of everything I have done to it.
LT Headers, o/r x-pipe, 1chamber flows dumped,UDP, Adj. FPR, CAI, I have a 75mm throttle body but I kind of question if the sampling tube is the right size(is there anyway to tell?) I have replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets but i used the little rubber things on the lower. i have the svo intakes and 65mm TB waiting to be installed. There is not smog pump or egr on the car. I have the egr delete sensor but i still have a CEL for the EGR so it obviously isnt working. So if you give me some ideas i would appreciate it.

Downshift

Reaction score
Dont know man. I go through times where I feel like my car is a POS or it just feels really slow. Is it running way rich, not running on all cylinders, maybe something got messed up on the gaskets? Cant remember who it was on here he had a yellow stang but he was having some issues and he pulled off his upper intake manifold and the gasket was not sitting right and covering up part of most of the runners on the intake. No CEL right? First things that come to mind....

ripper

Reaction score
I think you have the "Im used to my car syndrom". Get a set of 4:10's and it will wake it right up.

Downshift

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I think you have the "Im used to my car syndrom". Get a set of 4:10's and it will wake it right up.

That seems to happen way to fast haha.

houston5.0jay

Reaction score
Or.. it really could be suffering..
when a MAF goes bad it will make the car feel like a tug boat...

Unplug it and take it around the block if the car feels alot stronger all of a sudden then your sensor has gone bad..

and it wont always trip the check engine either. mine didnt..
chased my tail on my crappy performance till i called a mustang shop and they had me do the above..
car woke up.. replaced maf sensor and got my HP back.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Sounds to me like your EGR is causing the CEL which will cause to car to run like crap depending on the code. Verify your timing as well. As for the sampling tube....are you running a C&L maf? Trying clocking it 90 degrees at a time and try it again....this will clear up some cars as well.

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
it is not a c&l meter. I dont know what kind it is :dunno: I'll try unplugging the maf and see if that help anything. I have alot of people tell me I am just used to my car. but my buddys 95 feels so much faster and his is stock. the truth will be told when i get new tire and head out to the track. of btw. when i first go the car it ran a 18 :lame: It dosent feel like i took 3 seconds off of it. o my v6 ran a 17 flat.

Stangbangin

Reaction score
your car ran an 18 or YOU ran an 18 there's a difference?? not calling you out because I'm pretty new to piloting 1/4 blasts and it's tricky. as for your car being a dog like a dog down low or dog in general... you could be lacking torque by your setup 75 mm tb is kinda big but wouldn't account for much loss down low...

G

GREG@SN95

Stock 5.0 powered sn95s make 288ft*lbs of TQ

There is no reason for it to be sluggish off the line..

They also run mid to low 14s

So... either...

A. You can't drive for crap
or
B. Theres something wrong with the car...

The verts had crappy gears stock, so you may want to replace them... But they are not the reason for running 18s...

You gotta find whats wrong with it... or what you are doing wrong...

Its kinda hit or miss for anyone to guess whats wrong with the car... ya gotta figure out why the CEL is on, then go from there

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I'm sorry i forgot to mention it the car is an auto. I didnt have time today. so after I get off work tommorw im going to clean the MAF and rescann the car. the reason it was on before was cuz of the EGR(I deleted it).

giddyup50

Reaction score
Something definately wrong!! The car is going to be alittle slower than others since it is auto. and a conv. but, there is no way it should be slower than 15 sec. The 75tb does sound kind of big, and then like everyone else said, check the MAF.

I know I sound like a 12 year old but, I love these little things--- :ass3: :bunny3: :behind: :behind: :rockyou: :rockyou:

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
its a 75mm MAF. I check the MAF ,plugs,cap and rotor, and everything else I could think of. I think the car is burning oil so im going to do a compression test wends.

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
The MAF just got clean'd, Plugs are good with normal wear, and i fixed my oil leak. the only other thing i have left to change is my upper lower and TB. the code im getting on my scanner is that the Thermoacter plugs arent working. (The plugs that go into the back of the heads, for the smog pump.)

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Well, I just did my compression test and all the cyclinders are good so the only think I can think of now is my injectors. So the next thing for the stang is going to be some 24 injectors with a new MAF

sykostanger

Reaction score
I've had plenty of bogging problems with my 95 because of the MAF. when i got the car it was sluggish, had the diag check ran on it and it pulled the code for it, it felt liek a new car when i put the new one on. Im also for getting the new gears, i think youll enjoy the whole different feeling

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I have scanned my car about 5 times and still have not gotten a code for the MAF. The only code i have is for my thermoactor plugs. they are the ones that go into the back of the head for the smog system. i deleted the smog system.

G

GREG@SN95

94 DropTop said:
I have scanned my car about 5 times and still have not gotten a code for the MAF. The only code i have is for my thermoactor plugs. they are the ones that go into the back of the head for the smog system. i deleted the smog system.

well you want to get a tune for that...

if the motor is throwing codes, its most likely compensating for the lack of smog pump...

The difference it makes is probably miniscule... but with your mods and the smog delete... its probably a great idea to get a chip/tune...

That way the motor won't be throwing codes, and it will adjust them shift points (if yer an auto)... I bet you'd see a good ~10-15HP 10-15ft*lbs TQ and an extra ~3-5mpg with a tune... the car will run noticeably better and throttle response will be much better...

If I were you... that'd be my next investment along with gears, them stock vert gears are crap... lol

OP
OP

94 DropTop

Reaction score
those are my next plans for the car. we just got a dyno shop that specializes in stangs :dancing6: around me. then some 4.10's but i need this problem fixed first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online