Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

joemomma

Reaction score
Seems like I remember hearing about IMRC deletes? What does that do for you?

EDIT: seems like plug wires and inspection would be a cheaper/easier route at this point, however. I have no idea on the pros/cons of the delete, or the cost. Just remember hearing about it back in the day on the 4v (I had a Mark VIII back in the day).

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score

EDIT: seems like plug wires and inspection would be a cheaper/easier route at this point, however. I have no idea on the pros/cons of the delete, or the cost. Just remember hearing about it back in the day on the 4v (I had a Mark VIII back in the day).
I can rev it at the throttle body and see if the cables move, im pretty sure I added the PID for OPEN/CLOSED.

I will be interested to see how it runs with the new wires. I still cant believe how loose that one was… probably only had seven cylinders.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you could try pulling the boot on the wire back and squeezing the terminal a bit to see if it helps but its a band aid for sure.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
you could try pulling the boot on the wire back and squeezing the terminal a bit to see if it helps but its a band aid for sure.
I agree that even if I could it would be a band aid, went ahead an ordered a set of Ford Performance 9mm plug wires.

I also had a new car friend tell me his dad was having a similar cutout issue with his Mustang that turned out to be his MAF. So I'll definitely have to pay attention to the data log for that.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Any problems with cutting the top of the old shock off to remove? That nut isn't going anywhere and even with vice grips or channel locks I can’t get the nut removed. I was thinking about cutting it off just under the nut with a hack saw.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

EDIT: seems like plug wires and inspection would be a cheaper/easier route at this point, however. I have no idea on the pros/cons of the delete, or the cost. Just remember hearing about it back in the day on the 4v (I had a Mark VIII back in the day)

dose great if you have a roots type supercharger
I deleted IMRC
if you run without them and no other bolt ons stock , you will lose on the bottom end but gain at the top end

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Any problems with cutting the top of the old shock off to remove? That nut isn't going anywhere and even with vice grips or channel locks I can’t get the nut removed. I was thinking about cutting it off just under the nut with a hack saw.
Not that I can think of. Just make sure the spindle is supported so it doesn’t swing down and potentially send the spring flying out of its pocket.
Could you maybe get a nut splitter on the strut nut? Might be easier than cutting the strut shaft.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Not that I can think of. Just make sure the spindle is supported so it doesn’t swing down and potentially send the spring flying out of its pocket.
Could you maybe get a nut splitter on the strut nut? Might be easier than cutting the strut shaft.
Never knew about those, other than the cost of buying one it looks like a way cleaner method of doing this.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
To avoid cluttering up my build thread with all my troubleshooting I started a new thread in the 4V tech section:

I did get another project done last weekend after FedEx delays in delivery.

FRPP.jpg

I thought the red would be too much with the valve covers, but I like it... it also replaces mismatched stock 8mm wires and MSD 8.5mm wires that were on the car.

joe65

Reaction score
To avoid cluttering up my build thread with all my troubleshooting I started a new thread in the 4V tech section:

I did get another project done last weekend after FedEx delays in delivery.

View attachment 11429

I thought the red would be too much with the valve covers, but I like it... it also replaces mismatched stock 8mm wires and MSD 8.5mm wires that were on the car.
I like it. I was considering going red covers on my Mach.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
The projects for the week were:

- Remove old VMP MAF harness/connector
- Solder in new VMP MAF harness/connector
- Clock MAF housing to move sensor and wiring away from wheel
- Install new rear shocks

I posted in my troubleshooting thread but when starting to work on clocking the housing before tackling the wiring I found quite a bit of water on both side of my intercooler piping at the inlet and outlet. On the day my cut-out began I had taken my car to have new tires installed, and on the way home I got caught in the heaviest rain we have had all summer. My neighborhood had roads flooded etc. I was extremely nervous about getting it home safely as the previous owner had removed the front fender liners, and the car has an Anderson Power Pipe that puts the filter in the front fender in front of the passenger wheel. Everything seemed fine, and I parked the car once home. That evening the weather had cleared up and I went for my first drive with the new tires, and that's when the cut out began. I think the fact that I'm Procharged probably saved me, as there is some much piping and the front piping is so much lower that the engine didn't pull enough water to hydro-lock. It likely did pull enough water to mess up my MAF signal as the pressure began to move from vacuum to boost, and may have pulled a small enough amount to create an slight occasional miss?

I spent yesterday afternoon removing the front bumper, and draining the water out. Went to a car show with the family after dinner, and then stayed out in the garage to almost midnight making sure all the water was cleaned out, the connections were tight, and then finished up the first three projects on the list.

A3D616EA-B1BC-4810-A2DE-61501DCCB6D1.jpeg

E258FBA2-DCDF-472C-ACC7-7F4370C87EF8.jpeg

1062FDD1-220E-456E-88B1-7046D166565B.jpeg
Fingers crossed that this fixes the problem and I can get some drive time in before winter. Plan on tackling the shocks this weekend.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Well the bumper was held in place let's say "creatively," and I was a little worried about how smooth re-installation would go... but it actually didn't take long and doesn't look too bad. Going to take her for a drive when I get home and see where I'm at, I'll post again after to let you guys know how it went. I plan on data-logging and using the go pro so maybe I'll even have a video.

153C405F-5F42-4F1D-A8B0-3A529B49CB24.jpeg
B691BCBD-BB4F-4A7A-80A0-B2521F0D3FEC.jpeg

and one from this morning:
A7BECFE6-6526-4CF2-99F4-6FE9BCB663ED.jpeg

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
So this past weekend was both frustrating but ultimately an awesome when everything was said and done.

On Saturday I did errands around the house and finished the day off by going to what turned out to be the final cruise night of the season in Lombard, Illinois. They really should adjust how they do the finale, because each weekend they have a band and the closer was American English which is a pretty famous Beatles cover band here in Chicago. They close the main strip for the finale which limits access to see the cars which is really what the evening is about... we got some light rain which also kept some cars at home I'm sure. Hudson still had a blast and still wanted pictures with all the Challengers:

IMG-4963.jpg
IMG-4961.jpg
IMG-4960.jpg
IMG-4959.jpg

Sunday started off frustrating as my DD 4Runner had developed squealing brakes, so while my plan had been to detail the Cobra early as it was debut car show day, I thought I'll bust out rotors and pads early, which turned into attempting cutout rusted in slide pins, burning my thumb on a super heated slide pin thanks to butane torch, busting the hard brake line attached to the caliper, and finally driving an hour and ten minutes each way that evening to buy new calipers off a Facebook 4runner group member. That being said they are now installed, and I just need to bleed them a little more tonight.

In the middle of the brake fiasco I got to do something I've dreamed about for a long time, take my son for his first ride in a Mustang. It was everything I hoped it would be, Hudson loved it and wanted to keep going fast. Yesterday he repeatedly asked for a Cobra ride.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zOCsjToVhOY?feature=share

huddyfirstride.jpg

After taking him for his first trip to "Mexico," we drove back to the US of A, and attended the Batavia Block Party car show in our town:

IMG-4978.jpg
IMG-4979.jpg
IMG-4980.jpg
IMG-4981.jpg
IMG-4983.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
It's been a minute since I was able to post anything, not really much to do to the car right now... still need to change the oil and install the new rear shocks. I've been holding off on that as I want to put together a really good "streetable" drag set-up as the front suspension is making some noise. I also finally broke down and bought star sockets so I can swap in the new front ABS sensor.

Here's another shot from the first car wash. Feels good to know I can wash it without fear now that the fender liners are back in.

6ADD15C2-700C-49AE-AE83-7F2B5FFC5AE1.JPG

I also took my oldest son to "Monster Jam" last week, and had an absolute blast... those trucks are simply amazing. To make it better I didn't tell him where we were going, when we got inside Allstate Arena and he figured it out he was so excited he didn't even want to get a snack before the show started just wanted to go straight to our seats.

IMG-5055.jpg
IMG-5050.jpg
4AFCB807-161C-4AD2-B1BA-AE10BE0B5524.JPG
IMG-5095.jpg

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Finally replaced my front passenger ABS sensor, and then took the Cobra for a test run. The ABS light is no longer illuminated so I think I'm good. Also used the drive as an excuse to go snap a few pictures downtown!

365C3CFA-EF7F-4689-9B10-DB0A2DE9EB94.jpeg

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Most of the "Cruise Nights" and weekly shows have ended as we move into Fall, but there is one final weekly show that goes through the next two weeks. I was debating taking the Cobra as it's about 22 miles there and back, 44 miles round trip. However, my son Hudson demanded it so I gave in. I'm glad I did because this ended up being one of the busier nights for this show.

I learned quite a bit from the longer seat time as well, the suspension never felt dangerous, but definitely lots of noise, and more slop in the steering than I liked. Definitely going to make suspension a priority over the winter in preparation for next summer. The headlights also left a lot to be desired. Go to try and aim them and probably pick up a set of LED headlight bulbs. They appeared to be aimed down quite a bit, and I did remove old HID ballasts from the car so that might explain it.

Despite the known issues, the temps never crossed 204 degrees... and the drive was uneventful. Need to try and figure out what rear gear the car has... the transmission is a TKO600 and at 65-70mph I was turning around 2,700 rpm to 2,900 rpm. Based on some online calculators, with a 25.7 tire and a .82 to 1 fifth gear, I'm going to guess 4.10 rear gear.

IMG-5171.jpg
IMG-5173.jpgIMG-5172.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online