Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
That is quite the turnout. Love that it is right in front of the Pure Hockey store too.

4.10's are a great gear for this car N/A setup but might be a bit much with the procharger. I have stock gears in mine atm which are extremely boring to drive with but have not settled on a final destination yet with my setup and don't want to change the gears out until I have a better idea of my final goal.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Yeah it's this cool square parking lot in a pretty big strip mall area and the event is put on by a local restaurant that specializes in Chicago Hotdogs and Italian Beef Sandwiches. Some of the same cars show up each week, but normally there is some new stuff each week as well.

This was my first time on the highway with the car, so just figured out the gearing... it would obviously be annoying for long highway drives and gas mileage at highway speed, but it hasn't been bad around town. The Procharger acts a bit like a turbo and makes its power in the upper RPM's.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
We have something similar once a month at our local Culver's in their parking lot. Had a pretty neat resto-mod 65 Coupe with a 98 Cobra 4v stuffed inside. Super clean.

joe65

Reaction score
catching up on your posts here today. its been a while since i've spent anytime on the site. I like the car meet pics you posted. Still really like your car with the 2000 r wheels. Out here in the Wild West the cars n coffee meets go 12 months a year unless of course its too cold or snowy, which really isn't that often typically.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
catching up on your posts here today. its been a while since i've spent anytime on the site. I like the car meet pics you posted. Still really like your car with the 2000 r wheels. Out here in the Wild West the cars n coffee meets go 12 months a year unless of course its too cold or snowy, which really isn't that often typically.
I'd love to be able to enjoy the car year round... I use to really love Fall, but anymore it's like bracing yourself for the awful winter that is on the Horizon.

I like the wheels too, the only wheels I would upgrade to would be CCS/Weld. I do need to track down two Cobra R center caps, then I'll be set.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
This past Saturday was the CMC - Chicagoland Mustang Club season "closer" at Bob Rohrman Ford in Schaumburg, Illinois. Lots of Mustang's of every variety, and a nice way to end the season before winter hit's and everyone puts their cars away for the year. It also marked the first time in nine months that my car finally made it to a show with my father-in-law's 89' GT Vert. I'll include a link to Blue Oval Media's coverage video, Casper made it in at the end.

Blue Oval Media - CMC Season Closer

cmc-closer.jpg

Before leaving I gave my father-in-law a ride, and I was able to do a short pull leaving the dealer lot... but upon leaving at the light I realized I was slower than I should be, the boost gauge showed no boost building, and the car began stalling when I came to a stop. I drove home, giving slow revs at stoplights (including the massive intersection where the signal light was out FML) and made it home without any large incident. I assumed by the time I got home that I had a boost leak and upon inspection found this...

charge-pipe.jpg

That section of pipe will be replaced this winter with a new piece with bead rolled lip, also got a great tip about spraying the inside of the silicone connector with hairspray to help keep them in place. It's always something. Once I got everything back together and tightened down, everything drove great and no more stalling. I also found a cut in the coupler from the Procharger to the first section of intercooler piping and have a replacement and two t-bolt clamps in the mail.

Final project was Monday and that was replacing the worn out driver side rear shock, still need to replace the rear passenger but ran out of time. I bought the nut splitter which largely did nothing and ended up going with my first thought and cutting the top of the shock off with a hack saw. Played with the bushings and no instructions way to long, and then finally found a decent video and applied some WD40 on the bushings and everything went together perfect.

joe65

Reaction score
This past Saturday was the CMC - Chicagoland Mustang Club season "closer" at Bob Rohrman Ford in Schaumburg, Illinois. Lots of Mustang's of every variety, and a nice way to end the season before winter hit's and everyone puts their cars away for the year. It also marked the first time in nine months that my car finally made it to a show with my father-in-law's 89' GT Vert. I'll include a link to Blue Oval Media's coverage video, Casper made it in at the end.

Blue Oval Media - CMC Season Closer

View attachment 12945

Before leaving I gave my father-in-law a ride, and I was able to do a short pull leaving the dealer lot... but upon leaving at the light I realized I was slower than I should be, the boost gauge showed no boost building, and the car began stalling when I came to a stop. I drove home, giving slow revs at stoplights (including the massive intersection where the signal light was out FML) and made it home without any large incident. I assumed by the time I got home that I had a boost leak and upon inspection found this...

View attachment 12946

That section of pipe will be replaced this winter with a new piece with bead rolled lip, also got a great tip about spraying the inside of the silicone connector with hairspray to help keep them in place. It's always something. Once I got everything back together and tightened down, everything drove great and no more stalling. I also found a cut in the coupler from the Procharger to the first section of intercooler piping and have a replacement and two t-bolt clamps in the mail.

Final project was Monday and that was replacing the worn out driver side rear shock, still need to replace the rear passenger but ran out of time. I bought the nut splitter which largely did nothing and ended up going with my first thought and cutting the top of the shock off with a hack saw. Played with the bushings and no instructions way to long, and then finally found a decent video and applied some WD40 on the bushings and everything went together perfect.
amazing how things can get hacked up and hidden by someone. at least its fairly simple things to work with.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
So a couple nights ago I was bound and determined tired or not to get the rear passenger shock replaced. Spray the top nut with PB Blaster and it was tight enough that putting vice grips on the top and using a wrench to loosen it broke the top off. So for the second time I tried the nut splitter with the same results, and switched to the trusty hack saw again. You want a good work out, and don't have a Sawzall... use a hack saw to cut the top off while having to go through the nut.

I did finally get it swapped, for anyone who hasn't done this here's a tip. You want to insert the lower bushing up through the hole by hand. You can put a little WD40 on it, and twist to get it seated tight. If you don't and try to put it on the shock with the seat it won't go all the way up and you won't be able to tighten it down from the top.

Last night I took my son for a drive, and am happy to report that a ton of noise is now gone. I still need new front coilovers over winter, and I'm going to replace the rear spring isolators and bump stop as well, but I'm confident my suspension NVH issues will be resolved by spring.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
So when I was searching for the boost leak after the last car show, I inadvertently discovered that the coupler from the outlet of the blower to the charge pipe containing my BOV was starting to tear. I referenced the Procharger manual which advised the coupler was 3.5" and so I ordered a new one from siliconeintakes.com along with some 3.5 in T-bolt clamps.

Well they arrived and it was way to big, so I tightened the old one back. I decided to go for an evening drive since temps were in the upper 50's and the car is just scary fast. Maybe it's because I have never owned a 500 plus horsepower car, but I mean it pulled very very hard. Well after a couple rips, I could tell it was much slower and slower to rev, got home and saw that the same coupler I had been messing with had popped off. I turned to my local Mustang club and was able to pick up same day a 3 inch straight coupler from a member, so I will be replacing that tonight or tomorrow.

This Saturday is a Halloween cruise night, thinking this may be my last show of the season before Casper gets put up for winter. Once the first salt goes down, she will be garage bound.

6F21CF28-8DC8-4DE1-8D5B-9CBB0C96C9FF.jpegE0B89A46-7AF3-411D-94D5-AB96F8C40831.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm slowly starting to come out of my winter hibernation... in Chicago it's hard to maintain motivation to think about Mustangs during the frigid snowy salty months, especially with the holidays and family events. However, I'm now prepping for Spring and need some thoughts on a battery issue.

All summer the prior battery which appeared to be a junkyard version, worked but was never super strong. Shortly before Christmas the battery died to the point that I couldn't get in the vehicle to retrieve Christmas presents hidden inside. With the vehicle off I attached jumper cables, and wasn't paying attention. The cables were put on reverse and after quickly seeing the results I removed them. I ended up "slim jimming" the Cobra to get the gifts out. This past weekend I finally picked up a new battery (Walmart - Everstart Group 58), and after installing it I got in and turned the key to on... chime started, accessory power good, figured no problem. I attached my Harbor Freight float, and assumed all was good. Yesterday, I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Checked the battery and it was down to 7v...

So before I commit to going through all the fuses with a multimeter, or assuming parasitic drain... (headlights off, dome light off, I did have iphone cable plugged into the cigarette lighter which as since been removed) what are the chances I just got a junk battery from Walmart, or that the Harbor freight Float charger was the issue? There were long stretches last summer that the car sat, and while it might have been lazy to start... a new battery should have been able to last a couple days without going that low.

Thanks in advance for advice, and look forward to another summer of hopefully just driving the Cobra and not torubleshooting lol.

07GtS197

Reaction score
That's my plan for tonight, but it also could be an issue with the Harbor Freight float charger.
True. Maybe pick up another one in the meantime. I have a cheap one from Walmart, everlast I think, and it works pretty well. And it won’t let you hook it up backwards.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the mach/premium amps are a known battery drain. Even after everything is taken out most people leave the one under the radio in place. You can disconnect it if you pull the carpet back by the console on the drivers side

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
the mach/premium amps are a known battery drain. Even after everything is taken out most people leave the one under the radio in place. You can disconnect it if you pull the carpet back by the console on the drivers side
Any pictures of what I’m unplugging and could I measure this draw off the 11 fuse?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Battery was up to 12.9v this morning when I took it off the charger. So I left it off and will measure when I get home from work. If no significant drop, I will leave it out of the vehicle until this weekend and then hook it up and starting pulling fuses and measuring draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online