Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Nice that you were able to fix the clutch issue.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Nice that you were able to fix the clutch issue.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk
You have no idea... that was kind of the elephant in the room. Can I get the car driving with clutch cable adjustment, or is the pressure plate incorrectly torqued, transmission bad, etc.

joe65

Reaction score
are you sure about this? I mean it seems to me if it were absolutely wrong you would know for sure and that does not sound like the case here so for the sake of stirring the pot I vote you get it. Anyone second that? :)

I decided not to contact him. lol..sorry. as much as i wanted to

joe65

Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good Easter, the weather here was absolutely phenomenal, 75 and sunny. Did Easter baskets and egg hunt for the kids in the morning, then went for a long walk, and sat on the deck doing some day drinking... which led to me telling myself to not be lazy and get something accomplished on Casper.

When I purchased the car the previous owner told me that the vehicle didn't shift. He claimed that a transmission shop told him he needed new synchros. The car has a TKO600, and it seemed unlikely to me that the synchros were trashed. The local club agreed, that the transmission was probably fine and suggested it could be a throw-out bearing seized to the input shaft. Upon deeper inspection I found the firewall adjustor was installed backwards. I checked under the car and the clutch cable was tightened at the very end. I had a hunch this was the problem.

Today I finally uninstalled the cable and reinstalled it correctly. I found that instead of the second nut being tightened against the first to lock it, one was installed on each side of the clutch fork... I used a prybar and tightened the cable to the half way point on the threaded end and fired it up, moment of truth. When I was able to shift into reverse with the engine on, I had a very good feeling. After driving it down the street and back effortlessly shifting through gears I was overjoyed.

We will ignore the fact that I forgot to plug in the passenger side coil, and was running on 4-cylinders lol. That was immediately corrected once I returned home. I'm still having an idle issue after cleaning the IAC, it know idles right around 1,000 rpm but every now and then it dips and almost stalls then goes back to normal. It's not the throttle body as I put a temporary rubber plug in the top hole. I did go ahead an order a new IAC as it appears cleaning is a band aide, others have reported similar in different threads. I should be receiving the T-Bolt clamps I ordered and can finally get the intake installed correctly.

Man look at all that grey hair in the last picture... I need a vacation to a beach!

IMG-3893.jpg

IMG-3891.jpg

IMG-3892.jpg
Good deal. love it when it is just a timely fix and not a big $ mod needed.!

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Man I am jealous to say the least. I never have simple solution fixes for the problems I inherit. With that being said I am glad you have a smooth shifting transmission without having to fork out $$$ to fix that.

Seeing your post is motivating myself to finish mine this Spring.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Man I am jealous to say the least. I never have simple solution fixes for the problems I inherit. With that being said I am glad you have a smooth shifting transmission without having to fork out $$$ to fix that.

Seeing your post is motivating myself to finish mine this Spring.
I definitely took the possibility of needing a transmission into account when I bought Casper. I also picked up the stock transmission which was said to be in working order as part of the deal.

My motivation goes up and down depending on the weather, my kids, etc. I always like wrenching with friends/family, so solo wrenching takes some effort. However, I would encourage you to break down what your car needs into a to do list and start hitting it one at a time. I'm about to buy a dry erase board for this, because knocking stuff off my list keeps me going.

Oh and update, for every thing I finish I seem to find something new. Car has no catalytic converters, and long tub headers to flowmasters... car is quiet... I think a previous owner had the flowmasters installed backwards. I will be dropping the exhaust tonight to confirm... shakes head...

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I definitely took the possibility of needing a transmission into account when I bought Casper. I also picked up the stock transmission which was said to be in working order as part of the deal.

My motivation goes up and down depending on the weather, my kids, etc. I always like wrenching with friends/family, so solo wrenching takes some effort. However, I would encourage you to break down what your car needs into a to do list and start hitting it one at a time. I'm about to buy a dry erase board for this, because knocking stuff off my list keeps me going.

Oh and update, for every thing I finish I seem to find something new. Car has no catalytic converters, and long tub headers to flowmasters... car is quiet... I think a previous owner had the flowmasters installed backwards. I will be dropping the exhaust tonight to confirm... shakes head...

I get the whole kids ,weather ,sporting events, work, etc. my list could go on for days. I have a list, just have not been good at getting to it. I have a build thread going but haven't had anything worth updating atm. HOWEVER....I should be getting my long tubes and x-pipe in this week. So hopefully I can motivate myself to finish my current task of rebuilding the engine.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I have an app on my post it note on my laptop that I use to keep my lists and yea it helps a lot. Some night I just make a list of the next 3-4 things I want to get done and it is satisfying to mark them off the list and then look to what is next.

I currently have an excel spreadsheet keeping track of parts I have bought and still need to buy... I'm definitely a list maker!

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I get the whole kids ,weather ,sporting events, work, etc. my list could go on for days. I have a list, just have not been good at getting to it. I have a build thread going but haven't had anything worth updating atm. HOWEVER....I should be getting my long tubes and x-pipe in this week. So hopefully I can motivate myself to finish my current task of rebuilding the engine.

Yeah last night I knew I wanted to get the exhaust removed, but then I was like... it's been a long day, then cooking dinner, family walk, bath time and bedtimes routines for my boys, by the time I could go down to the garage I just want to sit on the couch and relax for a bit.

Tonight though I'm going to try and force myself to get this done. Get the car jacked up enough to confirm orientation and hopefully model number and then go from there.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I frequently run out of time with the husband/father list for the day to day stuff. Normally don't find time for myself until 10:00PM or later and wake up for work at 04:30AM. Friday might be my one day for the next two weeks to get anything done. Otherwise all my time is accounted for and delegated to other tasks. :-/ Soon.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Y
Yeah last night I knew I wanted to get the exhaust removed, but then I was like... it's been a long day, then cooking dinner, family walk, bath time and bedtimes routines for my boys, by the time I could go down to the garage I just want to sit on the couch and relax for a bit.

Tonight though I'm going to try and force myself to get this done. Get the car jacked up enough to confirm orientation and hopefully model number and then go from there.
You could try what I do
I go to the garage and only plan mabe evey evening 30 minutes of working on the car
Don't think about time but think about when you feel like you need to stop
Before you know it its an hour or more you worked on it
I do this evey evening I get a lot accomplished
And I dont feel tired or stressed out at work

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Well the mufflers are in the correct direction, neither side is stamped inlet, but it has the Flowmaster stamp and the patent numbers. The serial number is also stamped on the inlet side, which I have read is normally stamped on the outlet side?? I could see the weld marks for the V shaped defelctors and they also confirmed correct direction.

flow2.jpg

flow1.jpg

Anybody have theories on why they don't sound like Super 44 mufflers (which the serial confirmed)? I'll try to get a video today, though I now likely have an exhaust leak at the mid-pipe to catback connector.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Well the mufflers are in the correct direction, neither side is stamped inlet, but it has the Flowmaster stamp and the patent numbers. The serial number is also stamped on the inlet side, which I have read is normally stamped on the outlet side?? I could see the weld marks for the V shaped defelctors and they also confirmed correct direction.

flow2.jpg

flow1.jpg

Anybody have theories on why they don't sound like Super 44 mufflers (which the serial confirmed)? I'll try to get a video today, though I now likely have an exhaust leak at the mid-pipe to catback connector.
44 are usually louder deeper black with dimond case
If there not lot louder any more
The chambers could be burned out baffle worn-out
Those do look pretty old
I love flowmaster systems
They just make a car sound like a muscle car
Ford and flowmaster have been at it a long time , it started with the first 5.0

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
BBK Off-road H Pipe

This is just my opinion but I feel like the mufflers may not be 44's or they may be older ones.

If your looking for loud just slap some SLP Loudmouth mufflers on it.

I had stock manifolds, O/R Bassani X-Pipe and a Bassani Cat-Back with exhaust tip resonators on my car before its rebuild and it wasn't "loud" at idle but with spirited driving it was plenty loud for 95% of people.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I feel like the mufflers may not be 44's or they may be older ones.

If your looking for loud just slap some SLP Loudmouth mufflers on it.

I had stock manifolds, O/R Bassani X-Pipe and a Bassani Cat-Back with exhaust tip resonators on my car before its rebuild and it wasn't "loud" at idle but with spirited driving it was plenty loud for 95% of people.
They have to be very old versions, I'm tempted to buy a new set of Original 40 Series and have then welded in place of these and then go from there.

I just plugged my scan tool into the OBD-2 port and the vehicle had the following stored codes, it currently doesn't have a check engine light illuminated. Thoughts?

P0113 - IAT sensor 1 circuit high (Cobra is "blow through" with Slot style MAF with integrated IAT)
P0351 - Ignition Coil A Primary / Secondary Circuit
P0352 - Ignition Coil B Primary / Secondary Circuit
P0412 - Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit
P0135 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0155 - 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

Edit: I did have two pending codes, on for the IAC score as I thought it was bad, and ordered a new one which should be here Friday. The other was for the Insufficient Coolant for closed loop fuel control. I noticed that sensor had been unplugged, but forgot about it... just dug around and found the harness and plugged it back in... maybe that was causing the idle issues.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Slp are annoying after a while
Just glass packs on steroids

Clean sound that flowmaster system make
Is better for me

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The question for the exhaust is, what do you want it to sound like? Do you want a deep, smooth sound? Do you want a raspy sound? Do you want loud or quiet?

I just recently put Hooker max-flow mufflers on mine. They are deep and quiet at idle, have no drone at cruise, and scream when you get in the throttle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.