Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
its not the switch if your measuring the same voltage at the fuse. My 94 showed a cruise control amplifier that connected to the brake wire right at the fuse box and I got 9v to my lights until I disconnected it. Where is the cruise control on yours shown?
A5841-B0-C-AB88-44-EA-A8-F3-062-DF94518-AA.jpg

Is the black box hiding up in there the amplifier? If that’s bad could it cause this issue?

The new brake switch did nothing and I can see no visible wire breaks that could cause a short.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its hard to tell. This is what mine looked like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1747520940...KVTZ6fqfWQmnu2O7COwP_UqkqQMTuvHBoCYfcQAvD_BwE

But it was right there in the same location. You could try testing the wires to it to see if one is hot or at least 3.24v hot with the brake pedal on. Hopefully its the same color as listed in the diagram but don't be afraid to test them all. If you do find a brake wire there disconnect it and see if you get full power now at the switch. I can't explain what mine was doing other than it seemed to draw more voltage than it should which was leaving the lights with not enough.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
its hard to tell. This is what mine looked like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1747520940...KVTZ6fqfWQmnu2O7COwP_UqkqQMTuvHBoCYfcQAvD_BwE

But it was right there in the same location. You could try testing the wires to it to see if one is hot or at least 3.24v hot with the brake pedal on. Hopefully its the same color as listed in the diagram but don't be afraid to test them all. If you do find a brake wire there disconnect it and see if you get full power now at the switch. I can't explain what mine was doing other than it seemed to draw more voltage than it should which was leaving the lights with not enough.

I’ll check this tomorrow, going to take another look at the connector for the multifunction switch as well… if this doesn’t work it’s going to a shop.

what was the issue you had? Just brake lights?

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’ll check this tomorrow, going to take another look at the connector for the multifunction switch as well… if this doesn’t work it’s going to a shop.

what was the issue you had? Just brake lights?
get stupid with it and push/pull/tug on the harnesses. Sometimes the pins get unseated and can pull out.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
get stupid with it and push/pull/tug on the harnesses. Sometimes the pins get unseated and can pull out.

Here's my last ditch plan, I'll be returning the flasher relay and multifunction switch I ordered. I ordered a new multifunction switch connector this morning, the only thing that seems to cover all of my problems is the multifunction switch and if the switch itself is good then I have to believe the wires have backed out enough to not make contact or the connectors inside may have broke not allowing contact. The harness from the front to the trunk is intact.

Here's something screwy I noticed. The interior trunk light has power... third brake light doesn't turn on...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the problem is the harness you would be able to track it down with a meter to be sure and save yourself the trouble of splicing all the connections.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
if the problem is the harness you would be able to track it down with a meter to be sure and save yourself the trouble of splicing all the connections.
I removed the steering column cover and took the connector off the multifunction switch. I'm trying to find a schematic and instructions for testing at the connector.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
OMG.... it was a fuse, in the engine bay, that my initial diagram only listed as interior lamps. A more detailed diagram indicated it also protected the brake pressure switch, so I tested it and the first side displayed almost 12v... the other side nothing. Verified visually it was blown, replaced the blown 20 with the correct 25 and now I'm getting 12V at Fuse 9 and everything works. Time to return some parts, and breathe a sigh of relief.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That’s why it’s always recommended to check every fuse, because some of them might supply other circuits.

I’m glad you found it though, that’s a huge relief.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
according to that diagram the 3rd brake light is driven directly off the brake light switch and does not go through the multifunction switch. Test for power at the brake switch(on top of the pedal)

Also don't just go check individual fuses. It takes less time to actually pull/inspect each fuse than it does to go through the manual and this way we can be sure its not a fuse that has nothing listed with the problem at hand.

I think people think I am kidding when I say to pull and inspect every fuse but I only started this after finding out that the manual game sucks. Anytime you have an electrical issue seriously just take the 3 mins it takes to inspect every fuse

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Anyone want to help me with ignition cylinder alignment? Went to put everything back together and no matter what way I try to put the ignition cylinder back in the car goes nuts…

In hindsight I was in too much of a hurry and forgot to disconnect the battery when initially removed it. I put it back in and everything was fine, was able to test turn signals, brakes, hazards. Now removed again to install upper steering column cover, and had some trouble with orientation and now the car goes crazy when turn to run.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
nothing I have done it many times. As far as I was aware the cylinder just actuates the switches it does not contain the switches.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
nothing I have done it many times. As far as I was aware the cylinder just actuates the switches it does not contain the switches.

A friend has suggested two things, first check the negative cable on the battery... I had to replace it when I bought the car and it's never really snugged up nicely. Since the battery is measuring full voltage, but the engine fuse box is sitting at like 7.63v it may be the battery getting insufficient ground? Alternately, I should check and see if the wiring from battery to fuse box is intact.

Second suggestion was that something may be ground out on the steering column. The problem only started last night after I reinstalled the top steering column cover. While installing it I heard sound coming from the speakers? So he said to remove the upper cover and inspect the wiring, and then see if the problem resolves with the cover off.

I was riding high yesterday after the blown fuse, thought I might be able to finally take the car for decent drive...

Note: The lock is installed correctly, I didn't realize that ACC was actually backwards from lock, and then forwards is run, and then start. Fingers crossed its a ground or loose battery cable.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have a ground that is even the SLIGHTEST bit loose I would start there. IF the power and ground connections are not tight enough that you can move/wiggle them then they are not tight enough. Electronics does some funny stuff when it has almost but not really kind of sorta enough voltage or current and that could be your problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online