catch can on a vortech

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
amazing how much these are recommended and yet they seem hit or miss by people that have used them. Does anyone with a vortech supercharged 302 have one they are successfully using? I have been asking around but its hard to get a solid opinion from anyone on what too do..... Tried searches, pm'd a few of people with cars that were recommended and the strangest thing the difference of opinions on them.

95opal

Reaction score
A can is a can.. name brand means absolutely dick...Heck a two liter soda bottle can work as a catch can..

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure what you meant there as I wasn't asking for a brand/type. I already have a can and it can be sealed or it has a baffle that can be put on as well but as far as what to do with the pcv? Sealed/baffled? Run it to a vac source or not? What size hose is needed? As far as the actual plumbing of it I can't seem to find a consensus of what would work or what would be best....

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I at least suggest a metal one... lol. you're getting pretty good with that welder, I suggest fabbin' one up, Scott. One of the problems is low-quality products can leak with positive pressures. A solid-built can can reduce the chance of failures. Beyond that, there's not much to worry about.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I already have a can. it looks like a quality piece I am not worried about it leaking and not going to make one. I have been trying to figure out what hose/connectors I need to connect to it and what it gets connected too. I understand the -AN fittings will be expensive for it all and I am ready to buy them I just am not sure what I need since I can't find solid advice on what to do. Been to 3 sites, 4 people and about to say F-it and put it up for sale and slap some breathers on it........... Yea I know breathers bad, can good but other then that I am lost.

kb1982

Reaction score
My catch can setup uses 3/8 barbs and the same size hose as the stock pcv and brake booster hose. Nothing fancy going on in my system. Here is my setup. If u wanna try it out, its fairly cheap. My pcv valve routes as follows, pcv to hose to sealed catch can, hose from catch can to inline brake booster, back to my intake manifold source. Air can only be sucked from pcv and boost cant flow backwards due to the inline valve. So what do i do to vent crankcase pressure while making boost, I have a breather on my oil filler valve cover. I think 2 would be better, but I dont have my driverside valve cover drilled for it. I have used this witch the stock ecm and my MS PnP. I didnt experience any problems with the breather and the stock ecm. Here is the link to the one way check valve i use. And its the same size as the stock pcv hose also.
http://www.gmpartsnow.com/chevrolet...are&part_name=power-brake-booster-check-valve

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to do both valve covers and that breathers let unmetered air in?

kb1982

Reaction score
2 breathers would be better, but I havent got around to adding another yet. Ive read that they allow unmetered air, but it didnt have any effect on my car when i had the stock ecm in it. If you run a breather on the oil filler, make sure it doesnt have any vacuum lines attached to it anymore, or you will have a vac leak and will be pulling unmetered air directly into the intake manifold. Im running speed density without a MAF now using the MS PnP, that setup worked fine with my stock ecm and maf setup. Easy way to test if you will have problems, when you have the engine running, remove the oil filler cap. If you notice any change in idle, you might have issues with that setup, but remeber, remove that vac line that runs to the oil filler cap first.

95opal

Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to do both valve covers and that breathers let unmetered air in?

Scott you are correct, either breather and no pcv or pcv and no breathers, but definetly not both. Try capping your pcv and running your valve cover bungs to the can first. That will be the easy way. Will it sufice on your set up youll have to see. its one of those things were every car reacts differently. If it doesnt work out youll have to go about it in a different way..maybe a bac pump or going back and tryimg a pcv or closed set up. Trial and error is how it works lol

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Your over thinking it.. when I get home in a few days I'll get with you. We figure out a open breather set up for you. If it doesn't work we can try something else. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
at this point I am leaning towards one valve cover to each input on the baffled catch can and pluggin up the pcv unless something else is recommended. using -10 lines after reading that they need to be bigger the the -6 I was originally planning, unless it needs to be bigger.

Wichers123

Reaction score
at this point I am leaning towards one valve cover to each input on the baffled catch can and pluggin up the pcv unless something else is recommended. using -10 lines after reading that they need to be bigger the the -6 I was originally planning, unless it needs to be bigger.
i have a 4.6 but it's all the same. Look the ultimate question here is do you drive the car? The idea behind pcv system is to pull moisture and oil vapors out of the block to extend the life of your oil. The oil vapors have a lot of carbon in them which can cause the oil to dirty right after changing and can also cause the oils breakdown life to be shorter. Also as the motor heats up then cools down the motor internally sweats and collects in the oil, sames goes for if the car sits.

A breather setup is meant for cars who run at operating tempature or for long periods of time as the motor has time to heat up, and boil the moisture out of the oil.

Now a pcv system is built to speed the process up for cars that start and shut down a lot. Pcv systems are under a vacuum and can boil moisture much sooner. Why does oem come with pcv systems? because they need the process to be a quick and as clean as possible to extend the life of the oil and to meet emissions.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
It also used for as emissions. Your not supposed to vent those fumes to the atmosphere. .

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score

That would work. .

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
i have a 4.6 but it's all the same. Look the ultimate question here is do you drive the car? The idea behind pcv system is to pull moisture and oil vapors out of the block to extend the life of your oil. The oil vapors have a lot of carbon in them which can cause the oil to dirty right after changing and can also cause the oils breakdown life to be shorter. Also as the motor heats up then cools down the motor internally sweats and collects in the oil, sames goes for if the car sits.

A breather setup is meant for cars who run at operating tempature or for long periods of time as the motor has time to heat up, and boil the moisture out of the oil.

Now a pcv system is built to speed the process up for cars that start and shut down a lot. Pcv systems are under a vacuum and can boil moisture much sooner. Why does oem come with pcv systems? because they need the process to be a quick and as clean as possible to extend the life of the oil and to meet emissions.

I drive it as much as I can(When its running) and would like to keep it that way. Its not a trailer queen but will spend more time at shows then it will at the track but hat is not too say that it will not end up at the track as well sooner or later. I just want to build something reliable that hopefully I will not have to mess with after its built is my real goal. Do it right and do it once.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I drive it as much as I can(When its running) and would like to keep it that way. Its not a trailer queen but will spend more time at shows then it will at the track but hat is not too say that it will not end up at the track as well sooner or later. I just want to build something reliable that hopefully I will not have to mess with after its built is my real goal. Do it right and do it once.
The simple vented catch can is what I recommend. It's what I run.

Antcjr

Reaction score
Why would you guys not run both valve covers open? How would that let unmetered air in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just ordered all my parts for this I think I got it sorted out thanks to every ones help.

If I understand it correctly they mean run open breathers AND run your PCV valve. Please don't take that as why until someone says it is correct, or wrong...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you guys not run both valve covers open? How would that let unmetered air in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

running one side open to atmosphere and the other side as a traditional PCV system can allow unmetered air in.

The intake receives air from the crankcase and the crankcase receives air from the breather (atmosphere).

The PCV intake is behind the MAF because in a closed circuit you dont want that air running through the MAF.

just ordered all my parts for this I think I got it sorted out thanks to every ones help.

If I understand it correctly they mean run open breathers AND run your PCV valve. Please don't take that as why until someone says it is correct, or wrong...

I dont know how this would work if you vented both sides. Venting to atmosphere is only suggested when excess crankcase pressure is causing problems. I suggest keeping your system closed (not vented) with your can in-line. Dont suggest mix-matching closed/open options. Pick one (vented or closed) and go with it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so you recommend using the pcv then? from what I understand its a bit of a crap shoot to find what works best after asking at least a dozen people and getting a slightly different answer from each. I can simply put a bolt that comes with the catch can to make it sealed if I need too try that out and will if I notice some problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.