Cats or no cats

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all what are the pros and cans of having Catalytic converters fitted and removed. do you gain more torque with them on and gain more hp when they are off?

Benni614

Reaction score
Hi all what are the pros and cans of having Catalytic converters fitted and removed. do you gain more torque with them on and gain more hp when they are off?
This is a long topic. I mean honestly I never ran them on my 01 and never seen a crazy increase just didn't wanna have restrictions on my setup. Turbos don't like that

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
You'll gain some sound and a check engine light lol. Most do it for volume. There difference between hi flow cats and no cats is usually minimal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Benni614

Reaction score
You'll gain some sound and a check engine light lol. Most do it for volume. There difference between hi flow cats and no cats is usually minimal

I use mil eliminators as all my customers if they decided that route no cel over here

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yeah I got a set too. Dont have a pipe but hey it's a start

Benni614

Reaction score
Yeah I got a set too. Dont have a pipe but hey it's a start

Yeah i mean I sends minimal gains in my tune but other NA builds need that back pressure

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all thanks for the replies. well by the looks of things I don’t have Cats fitted and I do have mil eliminators fitted and no mil light is on but it took a very long time and multiple attempts to get the car through the emissions test for the MOT (UK)
I was told that they MOT station will not be so lenient next year which means I’m going to have to fit some cats. Now what difference will I notice in performance when I fit the cats and what cats should I fit?
Also the garage said the car exhaust volume is also out of limits, I didn’t even know there was a limit for exhaust noise, so will the cats quite down the noise as well?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Cats will cut down the volume. You can get a catted mid pipe for around 550 bucks here in the US. Now you'll need to double check if it will pass emissions there with those. But if you currently have no cats and passed I would think any aftermarket pipe would work.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love the sound of mine with no cats. My wife hates the fumes though. I’ll admit, the fumes can be a bit strong at times but I’m sure the side exhaust doesn’t help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
You can get aftermarket high flow cats that can be spliced on your existing H pipe. I see some generic ones on eBay in the US for around $100 USD a pair. Name brands like Flowmaster and Magnaflow around $175 USD. Cheaper than getting complete catted pipes especially if you can do the work yourself.

tvsn95

Reaction score
in the for what its worth,, on back pressure adding ANYTHING at any time just means your tune is not right, does NOT matter if super , Turbo , NA , Stock, Modded . It might mean your cam is all wrong but then thats another subject alltogether.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.