*catted* mid pipe questions (fittament, likes/dislikes, etc)

W

Wes8398

I've been shopping for a used catted X or H for a long time now, and I've finally come across a few of 'em that might be good prices. I wanted to know who's running what pipes, and what your likes/dislikes are about that brand. Things I'm interested in are:
- fittament issues between AODE and 5spd, cobra and gt, etc, etc
- ease of installation (looks like the pass side is gonna be a BITCH!)
- ground clearance
- emissions issues
- performance gains
- sound
- other general issues i'm forgetting about right now
So far I've read that Cobra and GT midpipes for 96-98 are the same. I've also read that *most* pipes fit both 5spd and AODE tranny interchanceably. Correct?
I have read a lot about SLP midpipes hanging really low, so I'm not shopping for that brand. What I have my eye on currently is a UPR catted X and a Basanni catted X.
Any opinions/input is greatly appreciated!!

boss281

Reaction score
This Mac catted h-pipe was SUPPOSED to fit my automatic 97 GT convertible, only to be told later that sometimes "modifications" were in order if you have an automatic. Lucky me. Note that some of the black paint scraped off in places (see pic) during the fitment, but it's still in unused, great shape.

If you have a 5 speed and want a great sound and a bit more HP, give these a shot. They cost me $275 + shipping, but I'll part with them for $150+shipping (or come get them--I'm in Westminster).

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

I can't tell from your post whether you have an auto or a 5spd, but I have an auto. So does the mac fit now, or was it on a 5spd? I sent you an email too.

boss281

Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
I can't tell from your post whether you have an auto or a 5spd, but I have an auto. So does the mac fit now, or was it on a 5spd? I sent you an email too.

I replied to your email, but for the benefit of everyone here, the mac catted h-pipe bolted up but rested hard against the automatic transmission in my car. We had a 5 speed to try it against and it fit fine. So it seems the quality control isn't there, but at least a 5 speed owner can make use of the mac catted hpipe if they want to buy it off me. FWIW, a Mac off road Prochamber fit fine with the automatic and that's what I've settled with for now.

John

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
I have the catted upr x-pipe and my car is an auto. It sounds real throaty at wide open throttle, and pretty quiet during normal driving. The fitment wasn't the best I had to take it back a couple of times to heat the pipe and bend it bit to stop it hitting the crossmember on the drivers side. :mad:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the SLP catted X (now with the race pipes), and I didnt have to do any modifications, it was pretty easy to install too. Only thing I hate is it sits kinda low, it didnt sit like my BBK O/R H sat.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Thanks for the insight guys. Rob, was it expensive or a big pain to make it fit right? Did you have any problems with your car being too low?

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
anyone running high flow cats on their auto? im on the market for a new midpipe too

LJmagicJJ

Reaction score
i would avoid MAC if i were you, i had an o/r h pipe and hung low and fit like shit on my 96 atto. Then i had a catted h and it fit like shit too and also hung low.

Cliff Notes: Don't buy MAC.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
bigjohnson4.6gt said:
anyone running high flow cats on their auto? im on the market for a new midpipe too

I ran highlow cats on my auto, but it was too quite

boss281

Reaction score
LJmagicJJ said:
i would avoid MAC if i were you, i had an o/r h pipe and hung low and fit like shit on my 96 atto. Then i had a catted h and it fit like shit too and also hung low.

I have an o/r Mac Prochamber and the car is lowered with Eibach springs, and it fit great. it was the catted h-pipe that didn't fit an auto...

QwanSanchez

Reaction score
I'm currently running a UPR O/R X. It sounds great but it fits like crapola' :lame: I have had several exhaust leak issues with it always on the passanger side were it connects to the header. I'm currently switching to a MAC catted h Pipe so that my car will pass inspection. I have a 5spd so i'm hoping it will fit decent. It cant be any worse then the UPR i'm running right now.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I vote SLP X b/c fets had/has it on his Automatic 96-98.

but my MAC:
A+ on everything for MAC H pipe.
You need the right catback though on a nonpi to make it loud with cats. Chambered mufflers aren't loud really, but they are louder than stock mufflers.

That is all.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
Fets said:
bigjohnson4.6gt said:

I ran highlow cats on my auto, but it was too quite
too quiet for you taste? cause i thought it was less restrictive and made it louder

QwanSanchez

Reaction score
Twista said:

but my MAC:
You need the right catback though on a nonpi to make it loud with cats. Chambered mufflers aren't loud really, but they are louder than stock mufflers.

That is all.

What catback do you suggest? was going to go with MAC.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
QwanSanchez said:
Twista said:

but my MAC:

That is all.

What catback do you suggest? was going to go with MAC.

MAC is good man. Go for it :D I got a sound clip of my car with mac catted h and mac catback in my sig. Do you have a budget on what your trying to spend on your catback? You check out bassani sound clips yet? They sound kick ass in person.

Check out this site for sound clips ==> http://www.mustangexhaust.com/forums/soundclips.php?catid=5

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
bigjohnson4.6gt said:
too quiet for you taste? cause i thought it was less restrictive and made it louder

Yea. Well I had a BBK O/R H on, then took it off and then bought the SLP Catted X, and was quite compared to the BBK, so I bought dem dare race pipes

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Fets said:
bigjohnson4.6gt said:

Yea. Well I had a BBK O/R H on, then took it off and then bought the SLP Catted X, and was quite compared to the BBK, so I bought dem dare race pipes

BBK O/r omg dude i forgot about that thing. Sorry man. :gtfo:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hahahhaha damn you Twista! Sike its ok, shipping it would be a pain

voidfinger

Reaction score
boss281 said:
LJmagicJJ said:

I have an o/r Mac Prochamber and the car is lowered with Eibach springs, and it fit great. it was the catted h-pipe that didn't fit an auto...

Same here, i have the o/r Prochamber by mac, i'm going to be putting cats on them soon to quiet and make it legal.

I would state my rep on here if there is any that MAC has never let me down and sounds great. Prochamber i think is one of the best flowing mids you can get "i think", BUT disregard what was said earlier, BUY MAC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online