Change of careers...

PinkieT

Reaction score
I worked as an insurance company safety/loss prevention field rep and manager for over 30 years, took early retirement last spring. I was getting bored and missing people contact, so applied for a few part time jobs. Wanted to do something totally different. Got a contingent job offer today from a nearby chain auto parts store, one I have been going to for over ten years. Three days a week doing commercial deliveries, stock, fill in counter sales. Manager is a great guy, and has had a few Fox bodies. Pay isn't great, but I really don't care. 20% parts discount!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most people do this, just something to keep you occupied, a little extra dough. It also keeps you sharp. The discount is worth it too haha!

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I worked as an insurance company safety/loss prevention field rep and manager for over 30 years, took early retirement last spring. I was getting bored and missing people contact, so applied for a few part time jobs. Wanted to do something totally different. Got a contingent job offer today from a nearby chain auto parts store, one I have been going to for over ten years. Three days a week doing commercial deliveries, stock, fill in counter sales. Manager is a great guy, and has had a few Fox bodies. Pay isn't great, but I really don't care. 20% parts discount!
PinkieT - let us know how you like it after working there a while. I am within a couple years of retirement myself and would desire to do some PT work then.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You sound like my grandparents. They retired for a couple years then went back to work. I think they did another 10 years and then retired for real.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
seriously people sitting around all day with nothing to do sounds AMAZING when your always busy. When you get there it quickly becomes a "grass is greener" type of situation. Plan accordingly....

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
seriously people sitting around all day with nothing to do sounds AMAZING when your always busy. When you get there it quickly becomes a "grass is greener" type of situation. Plan accordingly....

Yep. I figure three days a week should be a good balance between working a lot and lazing around a lot. Glad they are wanting me weekdays, leaving weekends free for car shows and two weekdays free for the rest of the stuff I want to do.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Passed background check, took the pee test (and will pass), just waiting on a start date. A restaurant across the street sponsors a Sunday evening cruise. Wondering if they would pay me to show up in my store work shirt and hand out coupons while sitting with my car. Yeah, I know, dream on!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Passed background check, took the pee test (and will pass), just waiting on a start date. A restaurant across the street sponsors a Sunday evening cruise. Wondering if they would pay me to show up in my store work shirt and hand out coupons while sitting with my car. Yeah, I know, dream on!

I like your way of thinking old man!!!!! Lol

In all seriousness, I’m with you. To me retirement sounds like cruel and unusual punishment, much like being forced to listen to country music. I like staying busy. If one day I get to the point that I can afford to just let people run my company then I’ll relax a little. But more than likely I’ll still be part time at my biz or maybe I’ll buy a small building and customize cars for fun here and there. I could never just be retired and not have something to keep me busy each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty good gig to get some cash to play around with. You will get to know a lot of the DIY car folks in the area too. Good luck on the new endeavor!

01yellercobra

Reaction score

When my grandparents first retired they did a lot of traveling. They put a lot of miles on their motorhome. Once they got over that they got bored and that's when the second job started. Now they're fully retired and it's hard to complain getting 4 incomes between the two of them.

The wife and I want to do some traveling when we retire. Hence the plan for the diesel truck now and toy hauler in a few years.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, everybody. A while back I managed a territory with four employees and over 30 part time contractors. One of the contractors did great work and I kept sending him more and more. He finally called and said "Greg, I retired from Duke Power as plant engineer a while ago. I don't want to work that hard. I just want enough work to get me out of the house (and my wife's hair) and pay for my hobbies." I told him "Man, I want to be you someday!" Guess what, now I am!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This job should be good for you!

Youll enjoy dealing with the bottom of the barrel type people everyday youre there....improve your caracter so to speak....lmao

And its not like dealing with them in a fast food example, were you serve what they want and they leave. Its more time consuming, solving problems, weeding through the BS.

Im happy for you man! Keep us informed with the crazy shenanigans that people try to pull.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
The manager told me customer service was his top priority. He said cars are expensive and are depended on to get people to work, school, etc. so when they break down the owners are apt to be in a bad mood. Our job is to make them feel better and get them the right parts to get on the road ASAP. THAT is the kind of guy I want to work for!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I hate going to the parts store and asking for what I need and they look at me like I have three heads.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I've got two heads. Sometimes one does the thinking, sometimes the other... :p

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have two heads and one VERY smart-ass and any one of or a little of all three is liable to be in control at any time so therefor I take no responsibility what might happen or might be said and be VERY glad you can't read my thoughts....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online