changed rotors and pads, now no pedal. FOUND PROBLEM!

94Vert

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my eibach springs put on 2 weeks back and after they were on, my front drivers side wheel was squealing but the brakes were stopping fine. I drove it several times and concluded that it was the brakes. The pads had plenty left but they were old and probably glazed so I bought new rotors and pads for the front. I changed everything and took it for a spin. The noise is gone as I thought it would be but now I dont have any pedal when I'm driving. As I said the pads had plenty left so I barely had to clamp the piston back maybe just .25 of an inch. So far I've bled both front brakes and checked all lines. Still no pedal when I start it. Before I start it I can pump the pedal and get plenty of preasure, but as soon as I start it it goes limp. Before I bled them my mc was full so I don't think I'm leaking fluid. I don't think air that might be in my front could go to the rear but maybe I'm wrong. I ran out of daylight so I haven't bled the back. Should I? Any ideas?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: Need a brake expert, changed rotors and pads, now no pedal

Bleed out all the brakes starting with the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. Make sure you don't let the master cylinder get low. Also check your front brake lines for dry rot. If you let the calipers hang or one fell you might have a small leak, causing it to suck air into the system.

OP
OP

94Vert

Reaction score

So it is possible for air in the front to get to the rear?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

94Vert said:
So it is possible for air in the front to get to the rear?

No, but if you let the master cylinder get to low you could have inadvertantly got some air into the rear brake system.

OP
OP

94Vert

Reaction score

Well lets assume that the problem is not in the rear because I was very careful when I was bleeding them not to let the fluid get to low. Can you normally see the hole in the line or is it like a pin hole? That's the only thing I can think of. I might have stretched the line a little but I was pretty careful. Is it possible for the caliper to be bad and let air in there?

95-stang

Reaction score

Its usually air, but it could be the master cylinder, at work i use an air bleeder, so there's no pumping of the master cylinder at all.
This used to happen on a couple of Vauxhall [GM] Astras and Cavaliers, pushing back the pistons, then fitting new pads, and pumping the pedal up could result in what you have now.
Try bleeding using a tube into a bottle half full of fluid, [u can see the air come out] start at the furthest caliper, and work your way to the front, if you still have no pedal, suspect the master.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score

You could just need to bleed the master cylinder

OP
OP

94Vert

Reaction score

I didn't know there was a bleed screw on the mc.

97blackgt

Reaction score

if u pushed back the piston without cracking the bleeder screw u have air in the ABS pump prolly

OP
OP

94Vert

Reaction score

97blackgt said:
if u pushed back the piston without cracking the bleeder screw u have air in the ABS pump prolly

So how do you get air out of the abs pump?

97blackgt

Reaction score

hmmmmm ???

i must have been sleepin that day in class....i know its a PITA...

i will look on ALLDATA and try to get back to you

OP
OP

94Vert

Reaction score

Well i got the brakes figured out. When i replaced the drivers side pads one of the pads got hung up somehow and was keeping the the piston from hitting the rotor. When I took it out the pad looked like a banana. :hammer: That's why i didn't have any pedal.

But the bad news is I just got my headlights in that I ordered and not only is one broken but there not even the ones the guy listed on ebay. So I go to email him and ebay says hes not a registered user anymore. :slap: So now I'm waiting on paypal to credit my money back. Thank goodness I only use paypal, other wise I'd be SOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online