Changed to Cobra Calipers, Brake Pads and Rotors

97ponygt

Reaction score
Well as the title states I changed the front calipers, brake pads and rotors to the ones found on Cobras and wow great upgrade. However, I have came across this odd noise coming from what sounds like the drivers side wheel well. The best way I can describe the noise is a whoosh whoosh whoosh sound with each whoosh representing a 360 degree turn of the tire. The sound is very light and high pitched and doesn't sound like pads grinding on the rotor. I can only hear it up to about 30 mph and then I can't hear it anymore and the sound isn't always there (which makes me think it's not a warped rotor) and I don't hear it when I'm using the brakes.

I have also came across this slight metal to metal chatter when I hit a bump in the road. Also sounds like it's coming from the front wheel well as well, but I can't be for sure. Can't say that I hear the chatter when braking and simultaneously going over cracks or bumps in the road. I'm thinking it's possible that these two noises are associated but I have no idea. I also thought the dust shield might have been bent during the install so I'll double check it when I take the wheel off on Wednesday.

Any other suggestions? Things to double check?

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Brake shields can make goofy noises and can be tweaked easy when working on your brakes. Double check those before tearing into your brakes again.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Cobra calipers are known to make that metal clattering noise. Mine did it as well. The solution was to replace the anti rattle clips/ make sure they are there.
As for the whooshing noise, if it was a warped rotor you would feel it in your brake pedal as you pressed the brakes down, so if you do then it make be that.
Like mentioned above check the dust shields, I had to bend mine back a little bit since they were the smaller gt ones.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP

97ponygt

Reaction score
Cobra calipers are known to make that metal clattering noise. Mine did it as well. The solution was to replace the anti rattle clips/ make sure they are there.
As for the whooshing noise, if it was a warped rotor you would feel it in your brake pedal as you pressed the brakes down, so if you do then it make be that.
Like mentioned above check the dust shields, I had to bend mine back a little bit since they were the smaller gt ones.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The whooshing noise was coming from the brake shield and I need to replace the anti rattle clips, I have it narrowed down to that.

RichV

Reaction score
Also, make sure the wheels are not making contact with the caliper or brake lines in certain turns or wheel position.

OP
OP

97ponygt

Reaction score
Thanks Rich I doubled and triple checked and I don't think it's making contact with the wheel at any position. I replaced the clips and the sliding pin and the noise is still persistent. The noise is there when I'm not braking, not there when I am braking. I got the anti-rattle clips and such from Napa. I'm not sure were else to look? I read somewhere that the problem can be traced back to brake pads that don't fit quite right. Is there any truth to this? I'm using the ones that came with the calipers and they aren't Motorcraft. RockAuto has Motorcraft pads for about $40 so if there is nothing else that works I'll just try that.

Thanks for the input guys.

Phatboy

Reaction score
So what all is needed to do this swap? Is it a direct bolt on swap?

9838stang

Reaction score
So what i did is grabbed this stuff called disc brake quiet from auto zone or o reillys. And brake grease. i used the brake grease behind the rotors, and used it antiseize on the bolts for the caliper bracket. and used the the bracket grease on the slid pin. I also had my rotors turned just incase. and got new anti moan hardware. and used the disc brake quite on the out side of the brake pads.

9838stang

Reaction score
So what all is needed to do this swap? Is it a direct bolt on swap?

Direct bolt in. You just need the brake line from the caliper to the body the caliper, brake pad, rotor and the pin from the calipers. you can reuse your caliper bracket bolts.

ster302

Reaction score
If you look at the back of the pads there are little pins that are molded into the backing plate, make sure that the pistons of the calipers are turned so the "pins" are inside the low spots of the piston. the pads will make noise if they are not positioned right, been there done that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.