changing a fuel filter

96 GEETEE

Reaction score
so what exactly do i do? do i have to repressurise the lines again?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
1. go to the back of the trunk,
2.take off the rear panel inside the trunk
3. take a screwdriver and pop out the connector that goes into the fuel pump cut-off switch
4 start your car and wait til it shuts itself off, and then take out your key.
5. crawl under the back of your car
6. unscrew the thing that holds down the fuel filter
7. take a screwdriver or your hand and pull out the two white plastic clips
8. pull off the two fuel lines(be careful, fuel will still come out, it would be a good idea to take some rags with you)
9. take out the old filter(also dont hold it with either the inlet or outlet towards the ground as their is still fuel in it)
10. put in the new one and reverse the process
11. push the connector back into the fuel pump cut-off switch
12. drink a beer(if your under 21, drink a light beer. ;D)

damn, im gonna make a write up on this and pictures next time i do this. :pimp2:

OP
OP

96 GEETEE

Reaction score
19mustang96 said:
1. go to the back of the trunk,
2.take off the rear panel inside the trunk
3. take a screwdriver and pop out the connector that goes into the fuel pump cut-off switch
4 start your car and wait til it shuts itself off, and then take out your key.
5. crawl under the back of your car
6. unscrew the thing that holds down the fuel filter
7. take a screwdriver or your hand and pull out the two white plastic clips
8. pull off the two fuel lines(be careful, fuel will still come out, it would be a good idea to take some rags with you)
9. take out the old filter(also dont hold it with either the inlet or outlet towards the ground as their is still fuel in it)
10. put in the new one and reverse the process
11. push the connector back into the fuel pump cut-off switch
12. drink a beer(if your under 21, drink a light beer. ;D)

damn, im gonna make a write up on this and pictures next time i do this. :pimp2:
ok thanks dood, witch rear panel in the trunk? and i dont have repressurize anything? (thats what my mechanics teacher told me :-\ )

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice write up sorta...
or you could just buy a Haynes or Chilton manual that explains all this basic stuff in detail with pics for like $15...everyone should have one of them.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
96 GEETEE said:
ok thanks dood, witch rear panel in the trunk? and i dont have repressurize anything? (thats what my mechanics teacher told me :-\ )

the rear panel of the trunk, and all you do is plug the harness back in and start the car. i would put it in the on position for a few seconds then start the car....and like droptop said, get a haynes manual. there are more than worth the $15

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I never unplug the harness and dont have a problem, I just undo the gas cap to help releave a bit of pressure, I only get mabye 1/8th cup full of gas spilled, just be quick and watch your eyes got gas in my eyes once and it wasnt fun lol.

98MSUGT

Reaction score
You might want to wear some glasses or something to make sure that you dont get any gas in your eyes. Overall its pretty easy just make sure you get the right fuel line removal tool and its going to take some force to get it out.

GDawg

Reaction score
Always wear eye protection. Be sure that your lines are "locked" back into place when you put the new one on. And be sure to put the safety clips on too. Easy job.

97blackgt

Reaction score
instead of unplugging that switch cant u just pull the fuel relay ?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
98MSUGT said:
You might want to wear some glasses or something to make sure that you dont get any gas in your eyes. Overall its pretty easy just make sure you get the right fuel line removal tool and its going to take some force to get it out.
he doesnt need the tool, they didnt start putting those on til 98.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
instead of unplugging that switch cant u just pull the fuel relay ?

i dont know about the fuel realy, but you can pull th efuel pump fuse....but taking off the panel and pulling he plug takes all of a minute.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
i just pulled the fuse when i changed mine. There was maybe a couple drops if that. Easy to change out.

OP
OP

96 GEETEE

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I never unplug the harness and dont have a problem, I just undo the gas cap to help releave a bit of pressure, I only get mabye 1/8th cup full of gas spilled, just be quick and watch your eyes got gas in my eyes once and it wasnt fun lol.
i did everything you said even the gas in the eye :-\ and in the armpits......ouch

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
my buddy went under the back of my car and unplugged the fuel pump. Simple way also than i cranked the car like 5 times till it was 100 % dead. He had a pan under the car to catch the fuel when he unplugged the old one. Pretty much did what was written above.

97blackgt

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
You don't have to change your fuel filter for 30K miles.
Plugged fiter drains hp..better off to change them out any case some ricers wanna play O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah