Changing brake pads

CManT1914

Reaction score
Figured I'd share my thoughts on this as I just recently did this.

The fronts are super easy. Just undo the two bolts that hold the caliper assembly to the hub. Slide the whole assembly off. The pads simply slip out and in. The hardest part might be compressing the piston to accept the thicker pads. Use a c-clamp for this, super easy.

The rears are a little harder. The bolts are harder to get to, I had to undo my parking brake cable. No biggie though, just a c-clip, and it should pop right out. The pads slide in fairly easy, but the piston on the rears doesn't simply compress. You have to turn the piston at the same time as you push it in. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A C-CLAMP!! You can break the ratcheting mechanism inside. You have to use a special tool for this.

That's about it. Pads aren't too hard, as long as you have the right tools (for depressing the pistons).

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
how did I miss this thread?! damn lol read my thread in general mustang tech/talk haha.

its called a rear caliper tool. you spin the silver part in the pic below, and the gold part spins and moves out, thereby spinning the piston and pushing it in all at once. make sure you line up the notches on the tool to the notches on your piston
metalnerdbraketoolsm.jpg

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Cool, where can i pick one of these up? and for how much?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not sure, try auto parts store I know here in canada we can rent them from Canadian Tire (www.Canadiantire.com) its a big store that sells automotive, tools, camping gear, and so much other stuff im sure you have a place you can rent automotive tools?

Im going to go remove my rear calipers now and im just going to bring them by a local shop where I get the odd job done, he said he will compress them for free, then ill run home and slap them on, bleed my brakes and im set.

Xuzhu

Reaction score
You can rent the tool at AutoZone, $40 deposit and you get it all back when you bring back their tool.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Lucky for me my dad has one, but then again he has done the brakes on at least 10 cars multiple times. Its a pretty easy job too, I did my fronts.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Xuzhu said:
You can rent the tool at AutoZone, $40 deposit and you get it all back when you bring back their tool.

Thats what i Did. I Got it for $35.00.

VulcanGT

Reaction score
i do my fronts and rears .i did my back brakes with the little tool that you put on a 3/8 rachet with an extention. it got the job done but it sure was hard. i wish i knew about this tool beforehand. I think O'Reilly has it for around 30 dollars too. The reason that you pay the deposit is so if you dont take it back, thy can just buy a new one.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
VulcanGT said:
i do my fronts and rears .i did my back brakes with the little tool that you put on a 3/8 rachet with an extention. it got the job done but it sure was hard. i wish i knew about this tool beforehand. I think O'Reilly has it for around 30 dollars too. The reason that you pay the deposit is so if you dont take it back, thy can just buy a new one.

Yeah the tool cost $30 to $35 bucks...

hechtrod

Reaction score
Good thread here. I need to do my pads all around.

What pads have you all used? I'd like to step up to some semi-perf pads for a possible/hopeful track day next year.

Thanks again,
Chris

badass98svt

Reaction score
I bought some Kevlar Metallic pads, and I love them.
No dust, no noises, nice performance.

hechtrod

Reaction score
Which Hawks are good for daily with added heat resistance/performance for occasional track days and hard street stops?

I think there's like Hawk Green, red, etc. I don't have my Mustang mag handy...
Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online