Changing exterior paint, what about interior?

heffe2001

Reaction score
I have a 2000 GT Convertible in silver, with the light grey interior (two tone dash, rest all grey, grey leather seats). The car needs paint, and I was thinking about going with the darker mineral grey they used in '01 and up. I've looked at a ton of pictures of those cars, and it looks like they either came with black interior, or saddle. If I don't change the interior color, do you guys thing it will look bad? I've been planning on doing the two-tone color throughout the interior (doors two tone to match the dashboard, flowing along the lines on the door), but my seats will still be solid grey, as will the center console.

Has anybody here gone with the mineral grey, and either the light grey, or maybe the two-tone, and got pictures? I'm also considering going with mach1/cobra two tone seats if I can find them..

Any advice would be appreciated, if you have any example pictures, that'd be great..

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help you, but I did a 2000 interior swap with my 1994 mustang.
The 2000 interior sounds the same as yours and my 94 interior was black.

I used the two tone dash, with grey center console, panels and seats. I used black pillars, roof and carpeting.
So basically above the windows its black, then the top of the dash is black and the floor is black. The rest is the light grey.

HUutIvnl.jpg

ozc86f4l.jpg

wWfONMXl.jpg

I thought about maybe doing black seats.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
That's the exact color scheme I have on my interior now. What I'm planning for interior (or at least what I'm considering), is continuing the black down the doors following the curve from the dash (top part black, bottom grey like it is now), and then continuing it in the rear panel as well. There's a clear defining line on the door panels and rear panels to follow for the colors, and I THINK some of the older mustang SN95's had that color combo from the factory (at least I've seen pictures of older ones with the two-tone door panels).

I was also planning on black carpets as well (mine need replacing). The only part that I think will be out of place at all (and that's a maybe) are the grey leather seats. As they are now, they are the same color as your seats, just wanted to see how the light grey will look with a mineral grey car. I think the black carpet/grey seats may offset each other as far as colors go.

I guess if I go with mineral grey exterior, and I don't like the light grey interior parts I could always do an interior swap, I'd probably go with a later model (02-04), I like the setup a bit better (I've already swapped out my radio surround for an 02, and have a double-din radio in it, it's just been painted to match the 00 colors, would need to repaint but no biggie there).

Found a picture of how I'd like my interior to look:

mump_1208_25_seat_upholstery_packages_for_sn_95_mustangs_.jpg

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help you, but I did a 2000 interior swap with my 1994 mustang.

I used the two tone dash, with grey center console, panels and seats. I used black pillars, roof and carpeting.
So basically above the windows its black, then the top of the dash is black and the floor is black. The rest is the light grey.

HUutIvnl.jpg

That looks awesome!! Nice work.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMO I wouldn't mix the dark charcoal and the black on your dash. I think they look awful together. You dont think they'd be much different, but they don't match nicely. I'd stick with black and the light grey.

With the doors and parts you want in black, what if you die them?

For seats, what about cobras? They'd look great with the light grey.

pYNL9d4l.jpg
\

You should also check out what TMI has. You can order any color and style you want.
Check out corbeaus too.

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
Hahahaha We have a few demo seats from Corbeau in our show room. All the wife's sit in them while the husband is buying his parts.

I must say, I had the A4's in my 02 and I loved those seats.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I definitely would prefer the Cobra seats (or the Mach1's), just haven't located a set near me that's reasonable, lol. Changing them out would also get rid of those useless headrests that Ford put on the older seats for the later model ones. I've checked out the TMI page before, but didn't realize you could get whatever color combo you wanted. Might need to get a quote on seats like what I linked above, it'd look pretty good with the color combo they have in that shot (too much CF for me, but the seats/doors look like what I'm after, fixed the link so it shows up as an image, my forum-fu just isn't working today, lol).

Also, when I said black on the dash, it's what they call 'dark charcoal', and my grey is what they call 'medium graphite'. I'm planning on using the dyes/paints from LMR sells for the interior parts (already gone through a full can of the charcoal and 2 of the graphite just refreshing the panels to their original colors).

If I had my way, I'd have my car painted similar to yours, I love the orange color, but have to deal with the other half, and she's not too keen on bright colors like that, lol.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've checked out the TMI page before, but didn't realize you could get whatever color combo you wanted. Might need to get a quote on seats like what I linked above).
I'm sure this guy could help you -> [MENTION=16800]TMI Products[/MENTION]

They have all the factory combos, you can also get anything custom if you have the $$$. I think they've done wacky combos like pink seats.

Also, when I said black on the dash, it's what they call 'dark charcoal', and my grey is what they call 'medium graphite'.
I was under the impression the black on the dash was black. I believe it matched my 94 black interior.
The light grey is medium graphite, correct.

Dark charcoal is 01-04. It can almost look brown next to black.

Late model resto has dies if you'd like to go that route.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Interior-Paint-Spray-Dye

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I don't like all this talk about after market seats @orange94 eh hmmmmmm.

Maybe I can sway the newcomer to stray away from that idea by saying that - you can simply buy Cobra Upholstery and foam and put it on your factory frames.
And if that isn't enough firepowa - we did the seats you referencing above in the MM article for Mark Houlahan there at Mustang Monthly - we can either reproduce those seats exactly for you, or we could make you a Cobra seat (sans the Cobra logo) in those same vinyls.

And Orange - ya know we have Orange vinyl here.... what about Black Cobra seats w/ orange inserts??
OrangeCobra_zpsdfc95dac.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There's a space in my name Orange 94. Maybe I should change that... gets everyone.

I was including TMI seats as aftermarket :)

You know you could always send me some product to test :p I wouldn't mind doing some advertising for TMI in canada :)
I really wouldn't mind.

And Orange - ya know we have Orange vinyl here.... what about Black Cobra seats w/ orange inserts??
oh god no!

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Was curious why the tag didn't work - noted.
And what? you don't like my mad photoshop skills?
However, a black GT seat w/ a hugger orange perimeter stitch would look very sharp. Subtle, custom, but not over the top.

PonyGlued

Reaction score

HUutIvnl.jpg

ozc86f4l.jpg

wWfONMXl.jpg

Beautiful job that you did

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
I definitely would prefer the Cobra seats (or the Mach1's), just haven't located a set near me that's reasonable, lol. Changing them out would also get rid of those useless headrests that Ford put on the older seats for the later model ones. I've checked out the TMI page before, but didn't realize you could get whatever color combo you wanted. Might need to get a quote on seats like what I linked above, it'd look pretty good with the color combo they have in that shot (too much CF for me, but the seats/doors look like what I'm after, fixed the link so it shows up as an image, my forum-fu just isn't working today, lol).

Also, when I said black on the dash, it's what they call 'dark charcoal', and my grey is what they call 'medium graphite'. I'm planning on using the dyes/paints from LMR sells for the interior parts (already gone through a full can of the charcoal and 2 of the graphite just refreshing the panels to their original colors).

If I had my way, I'd have my car painted similar to yours, I love the orange color, but have to deal with the other half, and she's not too keen on bright colors like that, lol.

I'll have to get in contact with the TMI guys and see what it'd cost for what I'm looking for, something very similar to what I linked to earlier would be ideal, it was from a Mustangs Monthly spread.

As for the dark charcoal, they apparently called the 99-00 colors the same thing, just a different shade (LMR has both, one listed for 99-00, the other for 01-04). I know the dark charcoal radio surround I bought from a later model didn't match the rest of my dash, so I painted it with their 99-00 version, and it was as close as you're going to get without repainting the entire dash. The doors I'm definitely going to paint with their vinyl paint to match the dash (already have the cups painted this color now), not sure on the panels on the sides of the rear seats though. That and a color change on the seats themselves I think will have me where I want to go. All comes down to the $$ at this point, lol.

Sad thing is, I had my drivers seat, and passenger seat bases recovered when I bought the car, so they are basically new. Wish I'd have had an idea to change the colors then, wouldn't have cost any more at the time to do that, but I was just happy to finally have a new edge GT convertible, lol.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score

Maybe I can sway the newcomer to stray away from that idea by saying that - you can simply buy Cobra Upholstery and foam and put it on your factory frames.
And if that isn't enough firepowa - we did the seats you referencing above in the MM article for Mark Houlahan there at Mustang Monthly - we can either reproduce those seats exactly for you, or we could make you a Cobra seat (sans the Cobra logo) in those same vinyls.

Definitely not looking at aftermarket seats, I like my power on my drivers seat too much, lol. Doing the cobra conversion on my current seats would probably be the easiest way to go for me, real cobra seats are hard to find around here.. Does anybody know of the later model headrests are interchangable with the earlier seats? I'd like to change them out at the same time if possible.

If you can give me a rough idea what I'm looking at to convert to the cobra-style seats, with the colors like the MM install had (front and rear), it'll give me a starting point (by pm is fine).

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
Found a shot of the exterior color I want, with the same interior that I currently how (except for the headrests, lol) over on AM:

44603-stack-racing-styling-bar.jpg

ProKiller

Reaction score
the 94-95s had the interior like you are describing making. could probably find the door panels and the rear pieces and just swap them over.

here's my old 94 (with in retrospect, awful carbon fiber interior kit):
5134720014_large.jpg

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score

HUutIvnl.jpg

ozc86f4l.jpg

wWfONMXl.jpg

Not to sound like a douchey douche douche... You know I love your car Richard.. buy why da fak would you take out a black interior to swap it for gray? Lol. Always wondered that man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not to sound like a douchey douche douche... You know I love your car Richard.. buy why da fak would you take out a black interior to swap it for gray? Lol. Always wondered that man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
You haven't seen the before pictures of my interior lol.
The seats were ripped, dash all cracked, door panels are scratched and teared up (early ones had really nice soft panels). No air bags, and on and on.
I would have liked to keep the black stuff, but it was in such bad shape.

But I really like the black and light gray. I exterior and engine bay is all orange and silver. So imo the light gray interior ties everything together.

OP
OP
H

heffe2001

Reaction score
the 94-95s had the interior like you are describing making. could probably find the door panels and the rear pieces and just swap them over.

I'd still have to paint the panels, the black on those is BLACK, what I have is dark charcoal (the 99-00 specific shade, not the 01-04 shade, there is a difference). That's where I got the original idea though, saw an older interior and thought, why didn't they continue to do that in later models??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online