Changing Filler Neck to Gas Tank Gasket

Reba Dad

Reaction score
Need to change the gasket where the filler neck meets the gas tank. Any tips or advice? Need to lower the tank? Is that a pain? How did you do it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes you will need to drop the tank and not to sound silly but its much easier the emptier it is. You can always use the pump to help pump out the gas if you disconnect the fuel line and then use that open line to drain it. You will need to remove the gasket where the neck goes into the trunk and where the filler cup meets the fender. Once you have it down a little I found it easier to just put my foot on the tank and pull out/over to get it out. A little wd40 on the neck will allow it to slide in nice and easy

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
You will have to drop the tank, which isn’t involved, but there are several important things to be aware of:

1. Having the tank as empty as possible limits the risk of breaking the fuel filler neck (it sticks into the tank about 8-10 inches and can break under load).
  2. Depending on the year of the car, you will need to remove some of the vapor line connections; some just pull off, others are often brittle plastic clips. Having a small pick and a lot of patience helps.
  3. Also depending on the year, there are some emissions valves (blue plastic) in the top of the tank, connected to the vapor lines. Don’t wiggle the tank too aggressively getting it off the filler neck, you run the risk of hitting the valves/lines against the body of the car and damaging them (they are hard/expensive to replace).
  4. You will have to separate the fuel pump electrical connection (it’s one connection attached to the chassis at the back of the tank; clearly visible). Make sure the side connected to the fuel pump is able to come away from the chassis without interference).
  5. Having an extra set of hands is VERY helpful. If not, use a tranny jack or a box to lower the gas tank (angled down on the driver’s side) in small stages without putting too much pressure on the fuel filler neck.
  6. Use some type of lube on the filler neck grommet to help the neck come out: WD40, PB Blaster or Windex. A little goes a long way.
  7. On my 2000 and 2004, I needed a 13mm socket for the tank strap bolts (3), an 8mm socket for the filler neck retainer bolt, and a 10mm for the filler neck to quarter panel bolts (3).
  8. You will also need a Fuel Line Separator Tool to separate the lines going from the tank to the fuel filter. They sell them at most auto parts stores, but they have to specifically say they work on Fords. Should be a 5/16. If the tool doesn’t work at first, try spraying some Windex into the fitting (there is often an O-ring seal in there that sticks and makes separating the lines really tough). This is often the most difficult part of the job.
  9. Make sure you get all of the old gas tank grommet off. Lube the hole in the tank and the new grommet with some engine oil (anywhere the rubber grommet will contact metal). Install the new grommet so that it is completely seated in the tank and center of the rubber grommet is round. Lube the new grommet where the filler neck will pass through. And lube the filler neck a little.
  10. When reinstalling, make sure the filler tube is positioned correctly in the hole in the quarter panel. And, make sure the upper filler neck gasket (foam) is in the right place. This can be seen from inside the trunk with the interior panel removed. This gasket is sticky and can get pulled out of position when the filler neck is loose.
I know this seems like a lot, but it’s a pretty easy job if you know what to expect. Hope that helps.

joey408w

Reaction score
Boy, am I having a time getting the filler neck to go back into the tank. Lubed it a bit, got the tank at an angle on a bike jack, and I just can’t get the filler neck into the tank. New gasket may be a bit tight. Any suggestions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is to lube the tip up and wiggle/twist it as much as you can while you push.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online