Changing Spark Plugs.

delling3

Reaction score
So, spent a good portion of my Sunday detailing the engine bay. I took the strut tower brace and intake off to gain better access to the engine for cleaning. I had previously purchased a set of new plugs and wires, and decided it was a great time to tackle that job.

My 5/8 sparkplug socket fits my new NGK Platinum plugs just fine, but when I want to pull the first plug from the motor, it seems to be too small for the plugs that are in the engine. Pulled out a 17mm deep well socket out and it's diameter is too large to fit down into the well. WTF?

I sure some of you are just having a good laugh at this dumbshit's question, but do I need to go buy a special tool to get the plugs out?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I found a similar problem where my deepwells were just a tad too shallow. I got around it by putting the socket on the plug and then putting the ratchet into the back as far as it would go. All you need is the tip in to get it loose for that first 1/4 turn and then you should be able to spin the socket by hand. Another time when you can tell her "just the tip", but if your tool is big enough all you need is the tip :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Snap-on makes a modular specific sparkplug socket. Its a socket locked on a long swiveled extension.

I dont have a snap on but did purchase a similar from autoboned. It had to be modified in order to slip into the plug bore, but works great for me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
Gearwrench also has the sparkplug socket extension assemblies. They have magnets, and some rubber inside to protect the plug. I'm pretty happy with them. Leave them in the ratchet/extension drawer.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I think you guys are talking about something like this?

FSXK320A.jpg

Mine isn't snap-on, but it is a 5/8" 6pt. spark plug socket (with the rubber insert) with a captive articulating extension. I checked the NGK's that I purchased and they fit just fine, but this would not engage the plugs already in the engine - the plug must be larger than 5/8". Is it likely that another brand plug would be a different size, or did someone install the wrong plugs. The problem I am having is the diameter of the next size socket is too large to fit down into the well.

trebor3170

Reaction score
I always thought that spark plugs were either 5/8 or 11/16 depending on the application, and didn't change sizes within that application, no matter who made the plug. Have you tried a standard thin wall deep socket to find out what the hex size is? You can loosen the plug with that, and pull it out with a magnet.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I always thought that spark plugs were either 5/8 or 11/16 depending on the application, and didn't change sizes within that application, no matter who made the plug. Have you tried a standard thin wall deep socket to find out what the hex size is? You can loosen the plug with that, and pull it out with a magnet.
Any thing above the mid 80s to present 5/8
50s to the 80s 11/16 remember all my big blocks 460 429 cj 351 cleavland 429 boss 351 boss 302 boss brings back memories shit I miss some of these I had
Sorry man just getting into it

trebor3170

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean, I didn't even have a 5/8 plug socket in my toolbox until the late 80's early 90's.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the tool that would do the deed. The plugs in the car were Autolite's. The ceramic was too large of a diameter to fit into the plug socket, despite that the socket size was correct. I picked up a 12-point deep-well 5/8 socket, and was able to remove the plugs. Reverted back to my plug socket to install the new NGK's, which fit no issue. Really weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online