Charging system

Devil Horse

Reaction score
Maybe someone here can help me with this lol.
My dash cluster went out on me last week and I couldn't find a ready made replacement that I liked. So I decided to build one myself given I have the skill set and tools to do so. I used the wires from the original harness. Finding a diagram that was usable was not easy, I ended up going with one that showed how to wire up for a swap (don't recall the type of swap). I used the half of it that showed the original wires with color codes.

Now that I have it done I ended up noticing today that my battery was not charging (ended up on the side of the road with a dead battery lol). I have looked at a few diagrams of the charging system and see where some of them show it going through the dash cluster, but I cat find one that shows what wire(s) it is. I have used my metter and test light t find it with not amount of success.

Here is a YouTube link showing how it looks, I have the normal gauges (speedometer, tachometer, water temp, voltometer, and fuel).
Thanks in advance for any help with finding the fix to this.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What year is your car? I’ll pull the diagram for the cluster. There is a resistor that goes in the excite circuit and it’s in the cluster. When you remove it, I’m pretty sure you have to jump two wires to get the alternator to turn on.

OP
OP
Devil Horse

Devil Horse

Reaction score
What year is your car? I’ll pull the diagram for the cluster. There is a resistor that goes in the excite circuit and it’s in the cluster. When you remove it, I’m pretty sure you have to jump two wires to get the alternator to turn on.
96 GT.
My bad I thought I had put that in my post.

OP
OP
Devil Horse

Devil Horse

Reaction score
Do you know if I will also need to install a resistor? I have lots of the around intact that's how I bypassed the temp sensor when I installed the old school type from the parts store. The water temp gauge was the first thing to go out on my cluster.
Then one by one the rest of them quit. I only drive it on the weekend as I have a company car to dive on the week days.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Do you know if I will also need to install a resistor? I have lots of the around intact that's how I bypassed the temp sensor when I installed the old school type from the parts store. The water temp gauge was the first thing to go out on my cluster.
Then one by one the rest of them quit. I only drive it on the weekend as I have a company car to dive on the week days.
I didn’t put a resistor in mine. Just jumped the two wires so the alternator would turn on. I’ll grab that schematic in the morning.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
@Devil Horse it looks like you’ll jump pin 10 and 11 to turn the alternator on. I got these two pictures, the one picture is a little blurry but hopefully it’s clear enough to see.
EAC910B8-0BAB-4510-8AB4-B041DA87153B.jpegF7C12DC5-8B43-4FF3-850B-8BEEF5012458.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online