Check Engine Light Help-5 codes

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Alright so my 98 gt is misfiring pretty badly but it seems to go away once I hit about 2200 rpms so on the highway in 5th it is unbearable and in the city in 4th it is awful. It is really annoying and just sucks. It didn't do this as much as 2 weeks ago but then it sat because I had knee surgery and couldn't drive it. Anyways I took it to my buddy and he looked up the codes but I wanted to get your guys opinions. I have new coil packs, new wires and new spark plugs that I put in to try to fix the problem but it didn't work. The codes are P1150, P0155, P1152, P0304, P0308. Also, It is straightpiped with no cats but the rear o2s are in the pipe and connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
1150 lack of heated up stream of sensor.... check the sensor
0150. Same sensor....
1152... . You guessed same sensor..

Bank 2 up stream

0304 and 0308 check the plug wires of #4 (back passenger) and #8 (back driver)

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Alright I will try changing that O2 sensor. How can I check to make sure the wires are ok bc they have only been on it for a few months.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
1150 lack of heated up stream of sensor.... check the sensor
0150. Same sensor....
1152... . You guessed same sensor..

Bank 2 up stream

0304 and 0308 check the plug wires of #4 (back passenger) and #8 (back driver)

Alright I will try changing that O2 sensor. How can I check to make sure the wires are ok bc they have only been on it for a few months.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Well push them down and make sure they are making contact to the plug and follow them back to the coil pack and make sure they are clamped down

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Before you replace the sensor make sure its plugged in if the little tab is broken it can separate.. .. if you do replace it only use ford motor craft placements.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Before you replace the sensor make sure its plugged in if the little tab is broken it can separate.. .. if you do replace it only use ford motor craft placements.

Why do I need to get the motorcraft? What's wrong with Bosch? That's what autozone has at least.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Why do I need to get the motorcraft? What's wrong with Bosch? That's what autozone has at least.
Its been my experience that the ones that come from ford motor craft have worked more consistently and when data logging there is a small difference in readings. With that being said..... I have bought motor craft brand of sensors and they had Bosch stamped on them Lol but not all of them have just depends on the car.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I got my o2s from rock auto for my lightning.... 100s at auto zone each. 110shipped to my door for both upstream from rock auto

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I figured out the problem. So my newer coil packs well the one with cylinder 4 and 8 the driver side one basically was shot. coil 4 was completely dead with a test light tool it didn't arc at all. Coil 8 had low power but it arced a little the other two worked perfectly so that would explain my problems. I have to call the manufacturer to get a new one so hopefully by Wednesday ill be back to normal.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
If they are send them back and find some stockers. Or get on svtp and order a cop kit from redmonster

They are aftermarket and what's svtp and I'm just invisioning tons of problems with converting it?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Svtperformance.com .... It simple plug and play. You can buy the harness and cops from him literally 15mins of work.... If you can change a coil pack you will have no issues putting the harness on.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Svtperformance.com .... It simple plug and play. You can buy the harness and cops from him literally 15mins of work.... If you can change a coil pack you will have no issues putting the harness on.

So I replaced the o2 sensor and im down to 2 codes now but one is new. Its P0171 which is a bank 1 too lean code. Could the misfire be causing that or do I have a new problem? What do you think could be causing that code?

Caboose302

Reaction score
Svtp? Lol you just sent him to the wolves.
The p0171 code could be something as simple as an exhaust leak on bank 1. Misfire will either come up as a misfire or rich since it isn't burning the fuel properly.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Red Monster sells over on corral too. OP I would really suggest converting to cop. Much cleaner look and the kit he sells is plug and play.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Red Monster sells over on corral too. OP I would really suggest converting to cop. Much cleaner look and the kit he sells is plug and play.

I get that it looks better but the guy charges a 150 for the kit and then I have to pay 40 or more per coil which is at least $320 so Id be around 500 to get it all done and it doesn't offer any performance gains at all it just looks better. I personally like the look of the big wires snaking around in there but I do want to clean it up some so I'll look at possibly relocating the coil packs but the cops just aren't worth the money to me.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I get that it looks better but the guy charges a 150 for the kit and then I have to pay 40 or more per coil which is at least $320 so Id be around 500 to get it all done and it doesn't offer any performance gains at all it just looks better. I personally like the look of the big wires snaking around in there but I do want to clean it up some so I'll look at possibly relocating the coil packs but the cops just aren't worth the money to me.

I understand where you are coming from. He sometimes has kits for sale with good COP's, But, to each his own. I personally do not like the look of spark plug wire on our engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online