Check Engine Light with Code P1443

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Black97GT, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Black97GT

Black97GT Legend

The CEL came on in my car yesterday for the first time since I had it. I took it to AAP today to get the code for it and it came back as P1443 EVAP Emission Control System, Control Valve Malfunction. I did a little research and it seems like replacing this part is the best way to go. I just wanted to see if any of you have gotten this before and what you did to fix it? Thanks in advance :thumb:

This link gave some good info I think http://www.rv-coach.com/current_category.181/Forum.40148/forum_thread_full.html

2. gt96stang

gt96stang Well-Known Member

This is what I bought and fixed my code,
    called purge valve I believe..
    [​IMG]

3. Black97GT

Black97GT Legend

ok thanks yea thats what it said, how much and how hard was the replacement?

4. gt96stang

gt96stang Well-Known Member

I got mine from www.rockauto.com, since nobody around here had one in stock.. and it cost me all of $20..
    And the line comes off the back of the intake plenum, if you find it and follow it, you'll find where it's at.. Along the firewall.

5. Black97GT

Black97GT Legend

Thanks man, I just went out and got it at NAPA it was a little more expensive but its all good cuz the light went off :thumb:

6. SonicStang

SonicStang Active Member

You still have to delete the code in the pcm. I had the same prob, I think it's common on the 96s

7. Rantheman

Rantheman Well-Known Member

auto zone had one for me but it did not fix my p1443 code it came back 1 month later

8. SonicStang

SonicStang Active Member

Could be it is the EVAP Canister Purge Regulator. It is located next to the passenger side fender well/inner fender skirt.
    [​IMG]