Circuit failure but no blown fuse

WVboy92

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have a 1998 Mustang GT that's essentially stock (I do have a Cold Air Intake and the radio is aftermarket from the prior owner).
My AC has been out for a while, so yesterday I started trouble shooting it. I went through and checked fuses, tried bypassing my sensors and I tried to jump the the compressor by tying in wiring directly to battery. When I did that, I got some arcs and sparks so I stopped. Anyways, I measured the plug into the compressor and saw I had no power so I think it's the relay.

I did find a fuse I believed to be related to the AC was blown in the passenger compartment (#9), replaced it, but it didn't work.

After getting it back together, I took off 1/2 an hour down the road to my fishing hole. At first the speedometer was acting like it wasn't working, but then it did after say about 5 miles down the road. After letting the car sit for about 2 hours while I fished, I got back in and when it started, my radio was set back to station 87.5, which is the station my car resets to after I've unhooked battery. From there, I traveled about 30 min back to the grocery store to pick up a couple things. Upon leaving the grocery store, my lights took about 15 seconds to kick on.

This morning, heading to work, I turned on the radio and the lights. Everything was fine for about 5 minutes, then it went out. Power locks, radio, power mirrors, headlights and speedometer no longer work.

To my understanding (I've read conflicting things), those items are either on the same circuit or two separate circuits (Radio, headlights and speedo on one and power locks, power mirrors on the other, I THINK).

Took a small break at work and checked my fuses in the passenger compartment and in the engine bay -- everything is fine. Not a one blown. I checked each one, just in case the diagram I'm working off of is incorrect. I then double checked to make sure they were in snug and they were. With the exception of an unrelated fuse that appeared a little loose, everything else was fine.

To my understanding, if I had shorted something when I tried to jump to the compressor, a fuse would've blew. If I have a melted wire or something to that affect, I figured that would short and blow too. If I had caused a power surge, I figured it would be melted.

Electrical isn't my strong suit, so I might be totally wrong in the above paragraph.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on?

OP
OP
W

WVboy92

Reaction score
Oh, I definitely learned my lesson there lol. I ain't trying that stunt again. Looking at the diagram in the link provided, I can see where my AC problem is stemming from. However, I'm not seeing where it relates to the Speedometer, power lock, radio etc. issue. A buddy of mine, who was a professional mechanic for 30 plus years, recommend I unhook the ground and let it set for a couple minutes then reset it to get the computer to reset. I'm going to try that in a little bit then go from there. The next step would be the relays for the speedometer/powerlock/power mirror/radio circuit. Does anyone have a diagram for that?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you say you checked the fuses. When you say this do you mean you checked the 1 or 2 that sounded that they might be related, or that you actually checked every fuse in the box? If you have not checked every fuse go do that now. I know it sounds like a lot of work but once your on your back it takes less then 2 mins and we can be sure they are all good as its amazing how often the fuse that is blown doesn't seem to relate to the problem at hand according to the manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online