classic car insurance

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Ok, took a bit longer than I said but...

Pit Lane queuing to go out...

View attachment 3914

View attachment 3915

that’s a nice rare exotic you’ve got there. No wonder they put you up front. You probably were the track favorite that day.

Reminds me of my old AOL chat room days in high school. We’re all quite spoiled at my school, so owning a four year old mustang was no big deal. Half the school had one, and half of those had red. I was in a UK chat room, and was asked for a pic. (back in those days, you had to scan in a developed photo) They all couldn’t believe I owned such a rare exotic. They also did not believe I had a full tank (one of the photos was the interior, which showed the gauges). Talk about culture shock! I visited 4 European countries including that one after Y2K... ...not one single mustang!

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
that’s a nice rare exotic you’ve got there. No wonder they put you up front. You probably were the track favorite that day.

Alas, that was 14 years ago now I think. That car was smashed into by an Audi and insurance wrote it off in back in 2010. My current is a 94 again, but only V6 this time and black, not red. Still a vert though.

I don't think I was the favourite from memory - I was one of the youngest there (31) and you can see from the pit lane photos many British classics there - Triumph Stag, E-Type Jags, Triumph Dolomite to name a few - and that's much more what the audience were in to than mine.

But I won't forget the time 2 years ago I was driving through the town following a Lamborghini. There was an old couple to the side and I heard the husband say to his wife "wow, look at that - a Mustang". No mention of the Lambo at all!

TMW

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I don't think I was the favourite from memory - I was one of the youngest there (31) and you can see from the pit lane photos many British classics there - Triumph Stag, E-Type Jags, Triumph Dolomite to name a few - and that's much more what the audience were in to than mine.

Easier to get your hands on a classic domestic, than something, I’m assuming, had to be specially imported. Back in 2009, I really wanted a classic car. I already had a mustang, so I wasn’t interested in the 60s American muscle cars everyone else was into at the time. I was born in the 80s, and during the 80s and 90s, those cars weren’t really appreciated as much as they are today. Anyway, I was young and foolish, and fell in love with the idea of owning a Triumph GT6, and eventually bought myself a 67. So I think it’s funny that over on your side of the pond, everyone had a Triumph, and a mustang is rare, while over here, everyone has a mustang, and owning a Triumph is rare.

But I won't forget the time 2 years ago I was driving through the town following a Lamborghini. There was an old couple to the side and I heard the husband say to his wife "wow, look at that - a Mustang". No mention of the Lambo at all!

TMW

I used to show my car over a decade ago... ...you know, when it was just an old vintage car that’s pretty much worthless on the resell market... One show, a bunch of classic 60s Pontiac GTOs parked next to me. All the kids would run pass them towards my car. They ignored the 60s muscle the Boomers all drooled over, and LOVED my mustang. They thought it was so cool! Nowadays, I get compliments from all the generations.

Attachments

• 08EC1446-E843-46B7-A104-FC1CAEDA4755.jpeg
    08EC1446-E843-46B7-A104-FC1CAEDA4755.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 5
  • E68AC2FE-980D-48F5-A4E9-5EB31ABC634A.jpeg
    E68AC2FE-980D-48F5-A4E9-5EB31ABC634A.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 5

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
So I think it’s funny that over on your side of the pond, everyone had a Triumph, and a mustang is rare, while over here, everyone has a mustang, and owning a Triumph is rare.

That is quite funny actually - never thought of it like that before, but I guess that must happen a lot round the world with different markets and what is popular and not.

Nice TR6 by the way - unusual to see a tin top one - most are convertible that we see in these parts.

I managed to invade the Triumph Clubs visit to the Imperial War Museum Duxford a couple of years ago as I know someone who has an old Triumph Herald. Drove in with all the Triumph's and was asked what I was in. "A Triumph Stang" I responded, pointing at the Stag in front of me... :)

Regards

TMW

Tomwas

Reaction score
20200425_173011.jpg Just put my new 98 gt with hagerty, $300 for $5500 coverage.. Car is stored in my drive way.. Have used them previously with good service

delling3

Reaction score
I use Hagerty currently on my '96. Currently it's pretty much stock and I have agreed value at $6000. It is tagged as a standard street vehicle - not registered as historic although it does qualify, but as others mentioned, that has limits for intended use in Michigan. I pay about $600, but that is Michigan - one of the most expensive places to insure a car in the U.S. Grundy does seem to be about 2/3rds the price, and I may change - but then I would miss out on the magazine and free road service o_O

Tomwas

Reaction score
I use Hagerty currently on my '96. Currently it's pretty much stock and I have agreed value at $6000. It is tagged as a standard street vehicle - not registered as historic although it does qualify, but as others mentioned, that has limits for intended use in Michigan. I pay about $600, but that is Michigan - one of the most expensive places to insure a car in the U.S. Grundy does seem to be about 2/3rds the price, and I may change - but then I would miss out on the magazine and free road service o_O
Road service and magazine are actually additional charge... Has to be 25 years or older for historical in N.Y. Had them on my 90 c4..

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
:D
That is quite funny actually - never thought of it like that before, but I guess that must happen a lot round the world with different markets and what is popular and not.

Little British cars in general are becoming more and more rare in the US. You could blame the workmanship during the British Leyland era, or the fact that they were already rusting as they rolled off the assembly line, I blame the fact that they were pretty much designed to be cheap throw away cars. Toys that have a short life span. The lack of internet support and parts did most of them in before the 21st century. A 60s mustang had a ton of “modern” features these did not. But now that they’re classics, none of that matters. You overlook its prehistoric appearance and outdated tech because you’re seeing it as a classic, not a new car.

But the other reasons good restorable models are becoming more and more rare is 1) people here don’t know they exist or have forgotten about them. I never really saw Triumphs. Maybe a spitfire once or twice a decade. I saw my first GT6 rotting away behind some building and made it my mission to learn about this car as it did not even have badging, so I literally had no way of knowing what it was.

Those who do know about these cars tend to be British themselves. They may have even helped build them back in the day. Most little British cars were shipped overseas, with the US getting the bulk of them. I always thought it was strange why so many cars made in the UK were rear wheel drive convertibles, the possibly worst type of vehicle to drive in the UK (no offense). But that was because they were building them for us. So now the surviving vehicles, those in the US, are being bought up and shipped back to their homeland.

Nice TR6 by the way - unusual to see a tin top one - most are convertible that we see in these parts.

Thanks, GT6. They are like Spitfires, but with a fastback roof and 6 cylinder engine. Very rare, though I did not know that when I bought it. Thankfully Spitfires existed, and in bulk, because buying parts for such a rare car would have been quite difficult, but if you need to replace rusted out metal, there’s a lot of panels they sell that are interchangeable.

I managed to invade the Triumph Clubs visit to the Imperial War Museum Duxford a couple of years ago as I know someone who has an old Triumph Herald. Drove in with all the Triumph's and was asked what I was in. "A Triumph Stang" I responded, pointing at the Stag in front of me... :)

Did this museum have a WWII exhibit? If so, you could’ve pulled a joke about how you saw all the spitfires trying their best, and felt that they needed a mustang to do a quick flyby to finish off things. (Both vehicles were named after their countries WWII fighter planes, and we Americans love to take full credit for winning the war for you guys) :D

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
The Leyland era was awful. Scary to think that Jaguar were part of that at one stage, a luxury brand...

Sorry, yes, GT6 - no idea why I put TR6!!!

American cars of the 60s and 70s were much better than ours. You had the Mustang, Corvette, etc and we had the Cortina and the Anglia - woohoo...

The museum has loads on ww2, American air museum (there's a Lockheed sr71 Blackbird!) and lots of civilian too - Concorde prototype 3 is there as well. Google Duxford Museum and see what comes up - it used to be an operational airfield and you can view a lot of the stuff as it used to be. I try and go once every couple of years as it's only 25 minutes from me.

TMW

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Leyland era was awful. Scary to think that Jaguar were part of that at one stage, a luxury brand...

Sorry, yes, GT6 - no idea why I put TR6!!!

American cars of the 60s and 70s were much better than ours. You had the Mustang, Corvette, etc and we had the Cortina and the Anglia - woohoo...

The museum has loads on ww2, American air museum (there's a Lockheed sr71 Blackbird!) and lots of civilian too - Concorde prototype 3 is there as well. Google Duxford Museum and see what comes up - it used to be an operational airfield and you can view a lot of the stuff as it used to be. I try and go once every couple of years as it's only 25 minutes from me.

TMW

Dayton Air Force museum is a good one to check out in Ohio if your into that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Haggerty here. Used them once for towing and it was a breeze. I pay $400 a year. 2k mile coverage per year. Coverage for $16 declared value with mods.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dayton Air Force museum is a good one to check out in Ohio if your into that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its been 20-30 yrs since I went through dayton and I still remember being amazed by it.

Haggerty here. Used them once for towing and it was a breeze. I pay $400 a year. 2k mile coverage per year. Coverage for $16 declared value with mods.

That is real close to my rates and I don't they are unfair. The Grundy rate just seemed too good to be true and with an insurance company I never want that feeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online