Clay 1st time

RichV

Reaction score
Gonna do some clay 1st time EVER!

Any suggestions? Got the Mothers kit with detail spray.

The destructions say to use the detail spray a panel at a time and hit it with clay. Any of you detail pro's have any other tricks/tips for a detail newb?

Thanks!!

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
I always use it after a wash, while the car is still wet and use the hose water as lube. It washes away the dirt better and leaves a cleaner surface, less scratches.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah just make sure to wash the car before you clay it. The last thing you want is to be rubbing dirt and debris over your paint. Other than that, just make sure to lube up the panel with the spray to ensure a nice smooth glide, but don't use too much or the clay won't work as effectively. Also remember to fold the clay over constantly. I tend to use a new side of the clay every couple turns.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I like to do small sections at a time, not a full panel. Just keep the clay lubed and clean and you'll be amazed at the results.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always use it after a wash, while the car is still wet and use the hose water as lube. It washes away the dirt better and leaves a cleaner surface, less scratches.

I've done it this way too. saves the detail spray.
You can use just a spray bottle with just h2o also. just keep the panel wet.
I only use half of the clay block at a time. and I also keep it in a plastic zippy bag to keep it from drying out. If you drop it on the ground then throw that piece away,
Move the clay in the direction of the airflow when driving (front to back) NOT CIRCLES.
Pay attention to the clay too. When it starts getting dirt in it then it's time to fold it in half for a fresh face.
It really is amazing what a difference it makes. especially the first time you use it.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Keep the clay clean, lubed.. Go sideways left to right, right to left. It makes a HUGE difference. You'll be rubbing the clay on your paint and it'll be going slow, once the clay starts pulling all the gunk off your paint hold onto the clay! that'll fly off it'll be so smooth. Try to not clay in direct sun, you'll spend more time wiping away the dried on detail spray lol. I have the mothers kit too, works great.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna do some clay 1st time EVER!

Any suggestions? Got the Mothers kit with detail spray.

The destructions say to use the detail spray a panel at a time and hit it with clay. Any of you detail pro's have any other tricks/tips for a detail newb?

Thanks!!

Be very abundant with your lube. You do not want it to stick and scratch if it catches a dry spot.

Always use a clean part of the clay, if it ain't got a clean part then get rid of it and use a new piece.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Thanks! Went well. Got the 05 done. Gonna do some wax next.

Tell you one thing, after the clay I noticed every friggin scratch, dent, and imperfection like it was circled with a highlighter. Did the hood with Maguiars Caranuba, came out very nice.

My Cummins is going next.

Can't believe I've never done this in the past. Clay is awesome!

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score

Tell you one thing, after the clay I noticed every friggin scratch, dent, and imperfection like it was circled with a highlighter. Did the hood with Maguiars Caranuba, came out very nice.

Haha you think silvers bad? Shit imagine the pain I go through with my black SN LOL. Clay is your friend for any vehicle!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Great thread ... I've never tried it either planning in doing my truck paints still new on the car .

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone pretty much covered it. I just usually use a dish soap and water mix for claying, stripping off all the old wax to start fresh. :)

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I was gonna say something before but I didn't know what level of detail you were going after. If you've got about 150,000hrs to kill then you can do my spring/fall exterior detail process. It's what's kept my truck looking the way it does being a daily driver since day one through hot summer sun and salt ridden winter roads.

1.Wash thoroughly and get everywhere. Wheel wells and all that, every crack and crevasse (I think that's how it's spelled.)
2. Wax using cleaner wax. I like Meguiars, it's always worked great for me.
3. Seal with Meguiars Synthetic Sealer 2.0. This gives protection and another layer.
4. Wax using Meguiars Caranauba wax for the final step.

So with this you've basically got 3 protective layers to be washed off before you get back down to your clearcoat. Like I said, this has kept my truck looking the way it does with original paint through the horrible conditions that IL has in the winter time and the beating sun in the summer.

EDIT: THere's no need to do this more than two or three times a year.

T65u1Qh.jpg

Sinned83

Reaction score
Clay is abrasive it will cause some minor marring even when done properly. Lube it up and have fun removing all the contaminants. When it gets dirty fold it up and use another side.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I'll post up some pics of the finished products. Got a surprise family visit today so my workday was cut short. Tomorrow is another day!

WhiteStallion94

Reaction score
Here are a couple of my tips:

- Mix a little bit of car wash soap and distilled water in a spray bottle. Works great as a lube (you don't need expensive detailing sprays or "clay lube").

- Use the bag test (sandwich bag over the hand) before and after to feel the results.

- You can use something like Iron-X to decontaminate the paint before cleaning. It's not required, but the subsequent clay barring will go faster and easier.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Didn't get them both quite done. Some weather rolled in today. But still working ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online