Clay bar cleaning

95GT86SS

Reaction score
I'm fixing to clay bar my car. I got the Meg kit. Any tips or tricks I should know? Advice is appreciated

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

OP
OP

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Very in depth

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Very in depth

Its seriously that easy.

have you checked youtube for a visual?

Video below covers it all.

[video=youtube;oeTfU_aUaJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeTfU_aUaJk[/video]

OP
OP

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Yeah I've watched videos and all. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice not shown on YouTube or the like.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Yeah I've watched videos and all. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice not shown on YouTube or the like.

Be sure to lubricate the panel and then clay. Its that easy:thumbsup:

joekd

Reaction score
Keep the surface wet, always use clean side of clay, that's about it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know its a smart ass answer and nothing less should be expected from me, but its true. Only real advice I have is cut the clay into some slices and then turn it/pull to get fresh material until you notice it too dirty, then get a new piece. Its honestly one of those mind blowing things that once you do it, you will never wax your car with out doing it. Also once you get the whole car its easy just to hit the heavy areas.

RichV

Reaction score
They give you a detail spray to use in the kit, that you'll run out of quick. So get extra. I've watered it down as well to 50-50 and had great results as well.

Try and do it on a overcast day, or at least in the shade. The spray will not dry as quick and give you more time to clay. Don't pick it back up and use if you drop the clay. I cut the bar in half and use a half at a time.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, after using nanoskin products I will never go back to clay. Especially if you get the one for a d/a buffer. Cuts clay time by a huge margin. plus if you drop it, you rinse it off, and keep working. I am constantly blown away by the product.

joekd

Reaction score
Here is my overthinking post of the day. I have always used the specific clay lube spray or soapy water

Everything says you can use quick detailer. Now since quick detailer is usually "spray wax" and one of the reasons to use clay is to strip off wax isn't that counterproductive or is the actual wax content in quick detailer so low it doesn't matter?

Also have to agree with the above post, I have the clay bar towels now and they are worlds easier to use and maintain

RichV

Reaction score
Clay bar towels? I'll have to look into those...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just google Nanoskin products. They are seriously the best. Kinda pricy at first but you get way more use out of them than clay so it ends up costing way less.

Since using their products I use their lubricants. They make one with a sealant in it, I usually use that as a final pass, or only use it if I am not planning on cutting and buffing.

However they also make a concentrated lube with no sort of sealant and I use that when I do plan on polishing. It's significantly less expensive.

However it's hard to beat the convenience of claying and having the water bead instantly.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Honestly, after using nanoskin products I will never go back to clay. Especially if you get the one for a d/a buffer. Cuts clay time by a huge margin. plus if you drop it, you rinse it off, and keep working. I am constantly blown away by the product.

And so the student has become the teacher................

Haha!!

Nanoskin for the win!
I threw all my clay bars away after using it Nanoskin!!!!

Ryan

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And so the student has become the teacher................

Haha!!

Nanoskin for the win!
I threw all my clay bars away after using it Nanoskin!!!!

Ryan

Seriously, your thread changed my life haha. I just did my whole car the other day, plus my work vehicle. In the same day!! That should ring some bells in people's heads. Good luck doing 2 vehicles with any sort of real contamination in one day without being dead tired with a regular clay bar!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
who takes all day to clay a car and how much easier can it be? Spray and clay, its not like you have to rub it for 10 mins in the same place or put any kind of effort into rubbing it.

Sinned83

Reaction score
Claying has never took long for me. After I wash I clay with luber and rewash. It's Is abrasive so do it only til the contamination is removed or service is smooth you can feel this with your hand. Any more and you're gonna need more paint correction

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Neither of you have white cars, I should have clarified lol

With white, you get these little yellow dots in the paint, especially on the rear of the car. Most other colors you can't see them. They take a century to get out with clay. With the D/A Nanoskin, it takes seconds.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fixing to clay bar my car. I got the Meg kit. Any tips or tricks I should know? Advice is appreciated

Be sure to use enough lubricant. Any time you are going along and it even starts to feel like friction - you need to spray again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online