clean slate, what would YOU do?

tooslow

Reaction score
this thread is just to give me an idea of others oppinions on sn95 mustangs. i have a bone stock 98 GT, if it were yours and you would to be starting to mod it how would you (or how have you already) start things off. on a budget, what are some of the most common mods, and performance expectations could i have with this car.

i'm trying to gather as much info as i can, and i've been reading through a lot of the threads here. lots of good info here, i'm learning tons just from reading different conversations.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
saying you are on a budget doesnt mean much...some people's budget may be $200 and others may be $2000...so what is yours

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
mine, as of now is $0. i'm not actually going to be modding soon, just looking for feeback, oppinions, and others experiences.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
assuming little to no budget, I'd just save until you can get the pi swap or supercharger...

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
i doupt i ever go the power adder route. i'm currently saving for other things. this car isn't really my priority 1. school is. the 2 threads on PI swaps were very useful. learned a lot i didn't know. ported nPI heads with aftermarket cams and PI intake seems like it would be my best route. when time for mods come.

most likely the extent of my mods are going to be suspension, wheels, tires, and tent. just to get it looking a bit better. i love how fat rubber fills up these sn95 cars. from the rear they just look mean as hell with some good wheels and tires.

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
SilverSol said:
how you want to start modding depends on your expectations of your car. i'd say start with the basics-exhaust, gears,etc.

thats most likely how i'll start.

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
nice car dude!! if i could do it over again this is what i would do:

1) 4.10's just got them done, best mod so far !!

2) get a midpipe, you have 6 cats, it's worth like 8-10 hp and it makes your car sound sweet

3) save for head work, cams or supercharger

Good Luck !! :)

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
thanks man. exhausts is def something i want to get done. i don't know how long i could get away with it now, but in a lot of places down here emissions isn't a big concern. a previous car was a 5.0 fox, with headers, off-road x pipe, no cats, and off road mufflers. load as hell, in no way emissions legal and never once failed a test. so, who knows how many of those cats i'll be able to remove.

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
I went with an offroad x-pipe at first, sounded great but the fumes irratated my eyes and it kinda smelled lousy. :-\ So I switched to the catted x-pipe with 1 cat on each side, it quieted the car down a little but I didn't notice any loss of performace. Also I just got some H&R springs done (not the pic in my sig) It improved handeling quite a bit and got rid of the monster truck look . I'm alot happier with my car now after the gears and springs. I priced out doing the pi swap but every one were I live is scared to do it so the price is pretty high. I plan on keeping the car for the long run, I guess a little bit at time and some day I will reach over 300rwhp !!

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
i don't know how far into mods i'll go with this car. i'm definatly keeping this car for a very very long time. i still have a good bit to go before i'm out of college so this is going to be my car untill i get to that point in life. i love terms and fox bodies a like, so my ideal plans would be to keep this car simple and have it be my primary car once i'm out of school with either an 03/04 cobra or a fox body project.

thats still very far away, so i'll try not to think about it. sharing parking space with a mid 12 second f-body doesn't help much. (my brother's car)

4point6GT

Reaction score
dont forget to drop it and get wheels n rubber O0 always one of the first mods doesnt really come cheap tho

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
It depends on what you are looking for out of a car. For me, I'm still in school so mod money comes SLOW. Right now I just want it to look cool and sound good. So I went with exhaust first, and next for me is wheels and tires. Other people just want to go fast and if you are one of those people, I recommend just saving for a PI Swap or blower and don't waste money on most bolt ons.

Whistler98

Reaction score
Exhaust and then 4:10 gears is what I did. Exhaust was just for sound. my buddie had a 2000 gt that would put 5 cars on me like right of the line after the 4:10's I had half a car on him until the top of 4th. Best bang for buck and best mod well except the supercharger.

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys. lowered, wheels, tires, gears, and exhaust is really starting to look like the plan.

being fast isn't the biggest part of this car. or i would have kept with the 5.0. just want too look and sound good, without breaking all the damn time. lol (my 5.0)

4point6GT

Reaction score
98 gt you got ? nice, u know thats the best yr for a SN95 :hammer: :ass3:

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
yep, its a 98. and are you being serious about best year, or was that sarcasm? lol.

i love the car, its great. just is very new to me. i've posted a couple picks in the "introduce yourself" section. i'll get around to uplaod more pics and get them on here eventually.

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
just saw your sig, you also have a 98 :hammer: O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah