Cleaning Mass Air Flows

VulcanGT

Reaction score
Matt94GT made a good point about cleaning MAF's. i have an article describing the whole procedure that i got from another site a while back for you guys that are planning on doing this to read. it was for 94-95 GT's and im not sure if theres a difference in the other models, but here ya go.

Cleaning you Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor in your 94-95 GT[/size]

Disconnect the battery. Dissassemble your air intake tube and remove the MAF housing. It's a cast piece that has a computer module the size of a business card. Take the housing and computer module (which says MAF on right on the black plastic) to your work bench (after disconnecting the wiring of course!).

Take our your tamper proof Torx20 driver and unbolt the module from the housing, two bolts, being VERY CAREFUL when you withdraw and expose the filaments. If you damage them at all, toss the MAF and buy a new one. Carefully with a q-tip soaked in alcohol, brush the filaments down until you've gone through enough q-tips that they aren't dirty after swabbing it.

The MAF filaments aren't that easily breakable, but just be careful anyway. While the module is off the housing, clean the housing with your choice of cleaners (I used carb cleaner). Bolt the now cleaned MAF back into the MAF housing. Reassemble the air intake tube. Reconnect the battery. Fire up the car and let it sit while the computer relearns the correct idle after you erased it by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. You also want the computer to relearn everything because it will now be getting different load readings after you cleaned the MAF.

Take the car for a spin and make sure to make a couple WOT runs. The computer also needs to relearn this setting as well. Finally, reset all your radio presets because you lost them when you disconnected the battery.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
nice when i get my stang back i will be doing this.

94stangr

Reaction score
So... its okay to clean the IAC?? Mine says right on top of it not to..

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
94stangr said:
So... its okay to clean the IAC?? Mine says right on top of it not to..

Yes you can actually. Take it off spray carbcleaner in there plug the holes with your fingers shake around, use a q-tip or somthing make sure you let it completly dry then re-install.

DestinWahoo

Reaction score
I did not like the idea of touching the wire (old) so I hosed mine down with "C R C CHEMICALS - CLEANER (11OZ ELECTRONIC CLNR)
Part No: 5102 " from O'Reillys and it seemed to clean the grime off. Do you think the q-tip + spray cleaner is better?

Downshift

Reaction score
DestinWahoo said:
I did not like the idea of touching the wire (old) so I hosed mine down with "C R C CHEMICALS - CLEANER (11OZ ELECTRONIC CLNR)
Part No: 5102 " from O'Reillys and it seemed to clean the grime off. Do you think the q-tip + spray cleaner is better?

I totally forgot about using a q-tip I just sprayed the shit out of mine with electrical cleaner and i could see that it cleaned it quite a bit and the car ran a lot better. I would imagine it cleans it just as good.

BlueDemon

Reaction score
Its definetely a great maintanance for any mustang with a mass. You recover some lost power and mileage by doing this simple thing.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I just hose mine down with simple green, let it sit for a sec, then flush with hot water. takes even the worst grime off! Of course, I take mine out of the inlet pipe too.

Eddie302SVT

Reaction score
ok so i took off the air intake portion and cleaned the MAF inside. Im guessing its that lightbulb inside looking filament thing. Last car was speed density sorry. anyways i took it off to clean when my alternator went bad so i cleaned it and replaced my alternator but when i went to turn the car on. the idle went real high and just stutters and dies or just dies without the stutter...any ideas?? it wont idle at all so i cant even let the computer learn or anything unless thats exactly what it is and i need to just drive it like that so it can learn while my foot is in the gas the whole time so it dont die?? it would at least idle before and now i cant even get it to do that...

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
BAM!!! Worked like magic! We cleaned the MAF with CRC's MAF cleaner, considerable difference in the acceleration and overall ride quality. Thanks again guys!

Mustang Sally

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online